Notices

Old 11-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
richo
Connoisseur
richo began at the beginning.

Device: KOReader on: Kindle Paperwhite and Android
Text annotations on InkPad 2

Hello,

I am considering to purchase bigger then 6" eReader. One of the option would be PocketBook InkPad 2. I am using Kindle PaperWhite at the moment. Ther I can mark (highlight part of the text) and also add note to that text or just bookmark a page. All this is stored in proprietary external file format.

I use Calibre as my home library and books I actively reading are on my eReader. If I like to keep all my notes, highlights and bookmarks I need to copy manually book with those extra proprietary files to/from Kindle to keep it.

I wonder how it is in PocketBook world? Kindle is really annoying in this regard for side loaded books.

Thank you for you help in advance.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
richo
Connoisseur

Is there nobody who can explain to me how are the highlights and notes handled by PocketBook onside loaded books?
Advert
Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm not using the latest firmware, so I can only tell you about the older 4.x version. In there, the notes are also kept in a proprietary external format. The format is based on HTML and images, and is easy to read and understand, but it is still only useful on the device itself. So, I would say that the PocketBook devices are about the same as your Kindle in this regard.

I can test with the newest firmware this weekend to see if it is any different. If it is, I'll update this thread. However, I don't expect it to be.

There is a specification for notes in EPUB, but it is recent, and I don't think that any software supports it yet. So, I think you can expect that all notes will be kept externally for a while yet.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
richo
Connoisseur

Thank you for your information. Do you know if there is a support in Calibre to transfer the notes from reader to PC and back?

I really hate the fact that if I move book between an eReader and Calibre I loose all this information. It would be great if there would be solution for this.

There is of course totally different dream to keep these notes and highlights between different systems (eReaders). My expectations are not that far.

Because I use Calibre as my home library and an eReader as a way to read a book taken from library. I like to have system which support makes this as simple as possible. Also if an eReader die or just disappear (or what a reason) I could still be able to read my notes in some little effort.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't use calibre myself for organizing my ebooks, but it doesn't look like anyone else will answer, so I will give it a try. I updated calibre and plugged in my Inkpad. The device was detected in calibre, and the internal drive and the SD card were both searched. I didn't see anything that specifically referred to the notes for the books. The notes did show up, but so did every other file on the internal drive. I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe someone more experienced with calibre can add some more details.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
richo
Connoisseur

rkomar, thank you for your answers. May I ask you to send me a file containing the notes and highlights information for a book? I like to see what format it has. You may use maybe some public domain small book from gutenberg.org project. I would very appreciate your help in this.

Do you own inkpad 2?

I am inclined to purchase it. Before that, however, I like to have quite a good feeling that it is a right choice. Unfortunately, around here, there is not a shop I can go and try it. I did play with KOBO Aura One in a shop and frankly was not impressed. Except for the size, I have not seen anything important for me improved, comparing to my old Kindle Paperwhite.

Thank you for your kind help in advance
Old 11-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
trewelu
Enthusiast
trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PaperWhite 2013, Pocketbook InkPad2.
I use inkpad2, so I probably can help a bit

Here I attached some files:
1. Zipped files/folder of how the notes are stored (html, plus folder with screenshot, svg of the annotation)

2. How it look like if opened directly in calibre

3. How it look like in inkpad

ps: when you switch to device's book in calibre, the notes have the same title as the book. You can't import the note to calibre library as it will say there is a book with the same title (the actual book), and ask you whether you want to overwrite (the actual book and replace it with just the notes )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	note in calibre.png
Views:	420
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	153024  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0013.bmp (937.6 KB, 344 views)
File Type: bmp scr0014.bmp (937.6 KB, 345 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table - Sir Thomas Malory.epub_A_5ae3076155198231b74407.zip (76.1 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by trewelu; 11-15-2016 at 05:30 PM.
trewelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:10 AM   #8
richo
Connoisseur

Please do excuse me for a delay in replying.
trawelu, thank you for your time and all the work you did for this to share it with us. I must say I am a bit confused.

By the note in a book, I was assuming to not to draw on the book, but type short note attached to highlighted text.

It also seems that the information in the http file and the screen host from calibre is from different part of the book the those two bmp files from the eReader.

Do you know where are the bookmarked stored?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
trewelu
Enthusiast
trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.trewelu invented the internet.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PaperWhite 2013, Pocketbook InkPad2.
I actually tested 3 type of "notes/annotations".

In the calibre book viewer, there are:
1. Pen -> indicate that I draw text annotation.
In the ebook, I draw it between paragraph in [book -> chapter I -> Merlin Foretold ....], but in the html, it is just stored as there is drawing under [book -> chapter I ] before "Merlin foretold"

2. At those words vortigen .... Followed by same text unbolded -> Highlighted text only
Looks like highlighted text is stored as which text being highlighted

3. Craftsmen Archaic term -> Typed note attached to highlighted text
"Archaic term" is the text i typed myself. In the html, it is stored as what text being highlighted, and what text attached.

The bmp is how it look like when you opened notes menu for the book. They are from the same part of the book as the one in calibre. Book -> Chapter 1 -> Merlin foretold....
trewelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
iBurger2
iBurger2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd g
@ Rico:

Some time has passed since you opened this topic. Are you satisfied with the way the Pocketbook and Caliber handle notes? I noticed that you have bought the Pocket Inkpad 2.
iBurger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
richo
Connoisseur

@iBurger2, thanks for asking and the observation. Yes I bought InkPad2. I had two reasons for this. One being bigger screen and second, to have possibility to store mine highlights and annotations in some clear way. What I mean without hacking Kindle. I just want to be able to get my highlights back to my eReader together with my book once of loaded from it. To have it all done by Calibre would be great, but I am not the hacker guy for Calibre.

Am I satisfied?
Short answer, No.

Longer answer: There is no support for annotations between InkPad2 and Calibre at all. Calibre just finds html file which contains them and you may import them as new book in Calibre. Calibre see no relationship between them.

Th only advantage comparing Kindle (talking all the time about manually side loaded books) is that you always read your highlights and notes as they are not encoded. You can also have your wifi on and sync with dropbox or just load over usb. Your highlights will not go away from that my-clipings (all however it is called) file..

No only what is needed to make it perfect is to extend Calibre (or any other simpler tool) to copy your books to and from InkPad including your notes.