Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Your favorite reading settings in Marvin

I was wondering what were each of you guys favorite settings in Marvin.
Mine are:

- Font: Arial Rounded

- Font Color: Black

- Background Color: Beige

- Font size and line spacing: Well I got 36 lines showing per page when full page on Ipad Mini

- Left/Right Margins: small to the point that only 1 letter fits between last word and Ipad screen border (both in left and right margin)

- Top/Bottom margin: Small

- Top/Bottom info: full showing
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Fonts: Arvo, Volkhov, Futura, Verdana, Georgia

Font colours: Metallic Gold (daytime), Copper (dusk), Asparagus (night)

Background colour: Black (waiting for custom textured backgrounds in Marvin; on principle, I dislike all solid-colour backgrounds)

Font size and line spacing: yeah, about 36 lines per screen here as well, but on a full-sized iPad, so the font is physically larger, helping to reduce eye-strain

Paragraph spacing: typically prefer empty half-line; can't stand zero paragraph spacing

Margins: as narrow as possible on all 4 sides

Headers and Footers: showing (dim on iPad, bright on iPhone), but I'm waiting for the ability to customise their structure. Particularly missing the permanent display of percentage read; missing at least decimal numbers for percentage read; would appreciate "pages left in book" in addition to "pages left in chapter".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	115406  
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Day, with iPad propped on my belly:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384831296.441601.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	115408

Night, with iPad propped on a pillow:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384831327.458708.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	115409

Switched from Open Sans to Arvo font for body text after everyone sung its praises in another thread like this a few months ago.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
On my iPhone right now I use Charis for a font with fairly small margins, tight line spacing and a small bit of paragraph spacing. Davy's Gray background with Ash Gray text.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (1).PNG
Views:	657
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	115410  
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
As to Arvo, I prefer it in light-on-dark setups. For dark-on-light, I prefer Volkhov. Because Marvin only allows us to store 3 themes for now, all of them are currently light-on-dark for me. Looking forward to when we can store an unlimited amount of themes; then I will definitely set up a few dark-on-light ones, too. All of my themes will be with textured backgrounds in future.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
fireland
fireland began at the beginning.

Device: iPad3, iPad mini, iPhone 4S
Euphemia is a comfortable font for me.

Day time: Charcoal text on Light ePaper (bright light situations)
Night time: Navajo White on Black
Other: Wine on Dark ePaper. (most day time situations)
fireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried a dark background with clear or white fonts and it looks kind of good but somehow I am conservative on this issue and prefer reading with my same favorite settings day or night.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Font: Arvo on my iPad, Gill Sans on my iPhone

Day: Black on Light ePaper
Night: Asparagus on Black
Other: Red on Black (red is supposed to preserve your night vision)

For the font size, I try to maintain a balance between the margins and font size so that the lines will not be too long or too short.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Question How to set top/bottom margins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I was wondering what were each of you guys favorite settings in Marvin.
Mine are:

- Left/Right Margins: small to the point that only 1 letter fits between last word and Ipad screen border (both in left and right margin)

- Top/Bottom margin: Small

- Top/Bottom info: full showing
I have Marvin 2.5 running on an iPad Mini with iOS 7.0.4.

I must be overlooking something. How/where do you set the top and bottom margins? No problem setting margin width on the sides, but where is the top/bottom margin setting hiding?

Thanks,
Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
I have Marvin 2.5 running on an iPad Mini with iOS 7.0.4.

I must be overlooking something. How/where do you set the top and bottom margins? No problem setting margin width on the sides, but where is the top/bottom margin setting hiding?

Thanks,
Marty
From the Home screen, touch the gear icon (top left). Look in the General tab.

And, there are also some global Marvin settings in the iOS Settings app.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
G,

Thanks for your help. As we say in Texas: "If it was a snake it would have bit me!"
Hidden in plain sight on the Home screen!

I picked up my iPad Mini at WalMart on Thanksgiving for $200. Too good a deal to pass up.

After a couple of days playing with iBooks, I thought I'd explore Marvin. WOW! Talk about a full-featured app.

My Nook ST is still my main eReader, but Marvin sure looks good on my Mini.

Regards,
Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@MartyTX, if you're not already aware of it, check out the Marvin XD plugin for calibre.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Quexos
Member Retired

Yeah Marvin is quite amazing. I actually find my e-ink readers slow, rigid and a bit obsolete when comparing to my Ipad with Marvin. I sold my Glo cause it just can't keep up in my opinion. I still have my Aura HD though, for its battery life is unbeatable and it comes handy when I need to read for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
After a couple of days playing with iBooks, I thought I'd explore Marvin. WOW! Talk about a full-featured app.

My Nook ST is still my main eReader, but Marvin sure looks good on my Mini.

Regards,
Marty
Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Quexos - I agree. I had a glo for a year ( well actually I still have it, sitting reproachfully in a corner, untouched).

The Ipad Mini plus Marvin is just so good and immersive an ereadet.
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote