Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
tigersfan
tigersfan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Nook Touch/Calibre wireless connection?

I looked for this already in the forums, so if this has already been covered, I apologize...

Has anyone discovered a way to wirelessly connect the Nook Touch (or Nook STR, whatever you want to call it) to Calibre? I know that the Nook has the ability to access websites via wi-fi, and I assume it could hit an IP address the same way. Yes, I realize that the functionality Im asking for may never be available, Im just wondering if maybe it is and I missed something.

Thanks,

Josh
tigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersfan View Post
I looked for this already in the forums, so if this has already been covered, I apologize...

Has anyone discovered a way to wirelessly connect the Nook Touch (or Nook STR, whatever you want to call it) to Calibre? I know that the Nook has the ability to access websites via wi-fi, and I assume it could hit an IP address the same way. Yes, I realize that the functionality Im asking for may never be available, Im just wondering if maybe it is and I missed something.

Thanks,

Josh
"Calibre Content server" (enabled under Preferences: Sharing)
Read the Help file on setting it up (you are on your own, configuring your router for outside (WAN) access)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
tigersfan

Thanks, I'm actually ok with knowing how to set up the Content Server (and, really, all I need is local access). But, are you saying that the Nook will see it and be able to grab books from it?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks, I'm actually ok with knowing how to set up the Content Server (and, really, all I need is local access). But, are you saying that the Nook will see it and be able to grab books from it?
If it has a Web Browser: Yes! Just type in the IP ( like 192.168.x.y:8080 wher x and y are the numbers assigned to your 'server') If you use a port other than 8080, fix that part
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Last I heard the Nook Touch does have a web browser and it is possible to access it. You can browse with it but you read anything you download. It doesn't save the file in a location that is accessible by the reading software. My guess is you will need a rooted version with something like FBReader to actually read books downloaded with the web browser.

Have a look in the Nook forum. You'll be able to find more info about using the web browser and its limitations in the Touch there.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
tigersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Last I heard the Nook Touch does have a web browser and it is possible to access it. You can browse with it but you read anything you download. It doesn't save the file in a location that is accessible by the reading software. My guess is you will need a rooted version with something like FBReader to actually read books downloaded with the web browser.

Have a look in the Nook forum. You'll be able to find more info about using the web browser and its limitations in the Touch there.
It does have a browser. I'll have to try actually downloading the books and see. I'm able to see my library, but I didn't try a transfer yet.

For me, rooting it isn't an option, as I like the "read in-store" feature more than I'd want the ability to wirelessly transfer.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
skorange
skorange began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch
Hey, any update on how this worked out for you? Thanks for any info or pointers, I'm interested in doing the same.

Stephen
skorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
GoghGirl
GoghGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
You can have your cake and eat it to!

If you wished you could make an sdcard with Cyanogenmod 7.

Quote:
Do I need to Root my Nook?!?
Nope! By following these instructions, you are creating an SD Card "Boot Disk". If you put the SD Card into the Nook, it will boot from it. If you take the SD Card back out, you will be back to a normal Nook. Barnes and Noble will never know!
Directions for CM7 sdcard

I personally havn't tried the running CM7 off the sdcard but I have rooted and installed CM7 straight on my nook. I did like the CM7 but cant tell how it would be different from using it on sdcard.
GoghGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:

For me, rooting it isn't an option, as I like the "read in-store" feature more than I'd want the ability to wirelessly transfer.
I'm rooted (SalsichaNooter) and the "read in-store" works for me. The STR is exactly like a non-rooted STR just that you can tap the screen on the left center side and it takes you to the android side of the device. Then you can tape the nook button at the bottom and hit home and go back to the nook side. So basically you have the STR side with the function exactly as it comes from B&N and then you have the android side.

Haven't tried the wireless calibre content server yet though.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote