Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #1141
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Question: What is the intended purpose of auto-populating a reading list from a search? It disables most of the other list settings, so I'm not sure in what case an autopop reading list would work better than just a saved search.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #1142
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
I speculate that it may have predated Calibre's saved search feature? I know it predated virtual libraries.

But I wasn't involved with RL then.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #1143
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Question: What is the intended purpose of auto-populating a reading list from a search? It disables most of the other list settings, so I'm not sure in what case an autopop reading list would work better than just a saved search.
Why do you need to know?

I've used the feature in conjunction with the Drop Search Results plugin.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #1144
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I use it to sync the items in a saved search to a device.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #1145
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version

2022-01-12

- Changes for upcoming Qt6 Calibre

This version contains changes necessary for the upcoming Qt6 Calibre version.

I haven't tested against every version, but this should still be backward compatible to v2.85.1 and newer.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 01-22-2022 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete test version
Advert
Old 01-22-2022, 11:41 AM   #1146
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Version Released

Version 1.8.0 - 22 Jan 2022
- Bump Minimum Calibre version to 2.85.1
- Changes for upcoming Qt6 Calibre
Old 02-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #1147
alwayzambi
alwayzambi began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Hello, I'm new to the plugin, and the community. Is there a way that when I drag a book to one tag, it automatically removes any other tag that it has. When I drag one book from tag to another to indicate status, the book still exists in the on the tag/list I wanted it out from. Thanks in advance
alwayzambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:39 AM   #1148
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzambi View Post
Hello, I'm new to the plugin, and the community. Is there a way that when I drag a book to one tag, it automatically removes any other tag that it has. When I drag one book from tag to another to indicate status, the book still exists in the on the tag/list I wanted it out from.
The plugin does not support drag-and-drop between the lists. You can use drag-and-drop to add a book to a tag in the tag browser, but, that does not invoke any action in the Reading List plugin. It does not trigger any changes in what Reading Lists the books are in. The way to achieve what I think you want is with the "Move to list..." function in the plugins menu. In the dialog, you can select the lists to move a book from and the list to move it to. That will process the changes in tags or other columns.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:22 PM   #1149
luciaisacat
Enthusiast
luciaisacat began at the beginning.

Device: android
Hi! I'm big fan of this plugin (many Thanks!) and would like to make a suggestion... I'd find very useful the possibility of adding (for example in a user-defined column) the date a certain title was added to the Reading List. The reason is that when I browse the whole library and pick-up some new title, there is no way to show these last additions on top of the reading list (e.g. as the most recently added).

To this purpose I tried the "Column Update Option" but the "Column to update" appears to allow only text-type columns and the "Value in column to add" should enlist the today-date variable.

Any chance this might be part of a future release?

Thanks anyway for the great job already done!
luciaisacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #1150
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Personally, I'm not all that interested in adding new features to RL.

I also think there are already a couple ways to accomplish what you want.

Each (manual) list is ordered by when each book was added to the list. If you use View list, the latest will be at the bottom. Not sure how you'd get them on top instead.

You can create a custom series column and configure a Reading List to up date it, then use that. It has the added advantage that you can use the same column with several lists using different series names.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:10 AM   #1151
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
A question: Is it expected for there to be a delay of a few seconds when updating (adding, removing, rearranging) a manual list with an assigned series column?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #1152
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

No idea, but it doesn't surprise me.

It depends primarily on the size of the list, (less so) on the size of the library and how many books were series before.

RL has to search for all books with that series, then spin through all the books in the list setting that column, then spin through any books that had that series before that aren't on the list clearing that column, then commit the changes.

I don't see any obvious inefficiencies, unless db.set_custom() has started started doing commits too.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #1153
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I don't see any obvious inefficiencies, unless db.set_custom() has started started doing commits too.
The legacy method db.set_custom() ignores the 'commit' parameter. Every call ends up calling db.new_api.set_field(), which does commit the operation. This isn't new -- I think it was changed in calibre V4.

To avoid the commits you should use the book_id_to_val_map parameter of set_field() (in calibre.db.cache). Using your description of the processing you would:
  1. map = dict()
  2. First remove the series name from all books that have it. Search for all books with that series. For each book found, do
    Code:
    map[book_id] = ''
  3. Set the series for all the books in the list along with the series index. For each book in the list do
    Code:
    map[book_id] = '{} [{}]'.format(series_lookup_name, series_index)
    Note that series_index can't be empty. If it is then use
    Code:
    map[book_id] = series_lookup_name
  4. Call db.new_api.set_field(series_name, map). This will do all the operations in one transaction.
(NB: there might be syntax errors in the code. I didn't try to run it.)

The operation order is important. The second operation will add back any series that was deleted in the first operation.

Last edited by chaley; 03-09-2022 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Changed series_name to series_lookup_name
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #1154
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Not sure I have the motivation myself to update RL for purely performance reasons on one particular type of custom column...

How far back does db.new_api go? RL currently still supports cal 2.85.1.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #1155
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
How far back does db.new_api go? RL currently still supports cal 2.85.1.
I think it was introduced with V4. It exists if db.new_api exists.

If you wanted to do it and maintain compatibility then the same loop that would build the map could call the old api book by book.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote