Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
A few questions about the JBL

I just ordered it yesterday from Newegg. When I get it, will I have to upgrade the firmware before I can start using it or can I use it without upgrading? What does the upgrade actually do? Do I really need to upgrade at all? I've read the instructions on how to do it and now I am nervous that if I try to upgrade it will freeze up, and I will have to return it. I assume there is no way to upgrade through the usb port? Sorry for so many questions.
One last question (for now) I read about 3 or 4 hours daily. How long will a set of batteries normally last? I have a Kindle 1 and I have to recharge it about once a week.
Thanks for all the good information that I get on this forum.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerky96 View Post
I just ordered it yesterday from Newegg. When I get it, will I have to upgrade the firmware before I can start using it or can I use it without upgrading? What does the upgrade actually do? Do I really need to upgrade at all? I've read the instructions on how to do it and now I am nervous that if I try to upgrade it will freeze up, and I will have to return it. I assume there is no way to upgrade through the usb port? Sorry for so many questions.
One last question (for now) I read about 3 or 4 hours daily. How long will a set of batteries normally last? I have a Kindle 1 and I have to recharge it about once a week.
Thanks for all the good information that I get on this forum.
As far as the battery life, I cannot say as I read for a short 20 minutes a few times a day. I use it to view PowerPoint converted to PDF which works like a dream for my needs. I put new batteries in mine 11 days ago and the power level just dropped 1 bar last night. This morning it was back to full power. I would say I'm a light user. The rating is about 22 hours of continuous use, which would deliver 5.5 days of 4 hour a day reading.

My jetbook which was delivered to me 11 days ago had the latest firmware version installed (v0.15 patch 15). When you get yours, you can check it by going into settings. It is real easy to check. If you need to update I think you will need an SD card. The upgrade fixed issues like DRM input. Every time you opened a book that was DRM protected you needed to enter the Credit Card info. With the update, You only need to enter this the first time you open the DRM protected book. Each time you open the book thereafter, it opens without delay. There were other issues that I don't know much about.

Last edited by P.X. Fort; 01-29-2010 at 09:56 AM.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
clerky96
Connoisseur

Did you order you JBL from Ectaco or somewhere else? I ordered mine from Newegg. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Did you order you JBL from Ectaco or somewhere else? I ordered mine from Newegg. Thanks for your input.
ECTACO
Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
clerky96
Connoisseur

I have an idea that since you got yours from ectaco that the firmware was upgraded before it was shipped. Since I am getting mine from Newegg it is probably already in stock and does not have the newest firmware. Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
I have an idea that since you got yours from ectaco that the firmware was upgraded before it was shipped. Since I am getting mine from Newegg it is probably already in stock and does not have the newest firmware. Thanks again.
Yep that I considered this as well.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
I remember somebody on this forum informed that He received jetbook-Lite from NewEgg with new v0.15 version. Let us know when you get your unit.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
clerky96
Connoisseur

Will do. I expect it will take a week or so to arrive.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Either way, the firmware update is painless, and I don't think you can blow it to the point where you need to return the device. Just start over. I save a copy of all firmware releases on my system in case I ever want to go back.

At $11 for a 2G SD card, I found it convenient to keep a separate card just for firmware (but I am supporting 3 readers). This allows me to do a full format of the card every time before putting on the new update and not be offloading and reloading book files.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Spare Cards

I also keep spare cards around. I bought a bunch of the 512 meg when they were on sale. I think I paid like $2.36 a unit with free shipping.

I keep them in the case I bought for $11 that is zippered and holds my jetbook, memory card, pad of paper, pen, and my book light.

The Jetbook is held in with velcro and the book light attaches to the same velcro strip on the back of the Jetbook. It keeps everything in one place and still fits in my coat pocket.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote