Notices

Old 05-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire HD and Page Numbers

Hello,

I have spent a few months off and on reading the forum and trying various solutions to this issue but either I am missing something obvious or it is just not possible!

On the Kindle Keyboard Calibre sends the APNX file so that Page Numbers show up in books, on the Fire the page numbers never show up.

Looking at the Fire I can see folders with GUID's under the sidecar folder which seems to match the book GUID's. I have tried the APNX generator plugin to generate a APNX file and place that in the sidecar folder but still no page numbers appear.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success getting page numbers to work on the Fire HD and if so can you share your secrets with me please

Appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
on my KF HDX some official i.e. from amazon books have page numbers, some don't
At first I thought that none did, but bottom left of KF screen is an (undocumented? ) touch sensitive area that toggles between various views,like time left, location...one of those ( sometimes) is pages.
dunno about side loaded books- I convert all those to epub & use the nicer Kobo app
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
SASSBS
Connoisseur

thanks cybmole the majority of my amazon books have page numbers when I flick through the options, but the sideloaded books don't display the page numbers on the Fire (Keyboard does which is the strange thing)
Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is a good chance it is because of this: http://john.nachtimwald.com/2011/03/...d-kindle-apps/

The Kindle Fire is more similar to the apps than to the e-inks.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
There is a good chance it is because of this: http://john.nachtimwald.com/2011/03/...d-kindle-apps/

rather than have to hack the books to add APNX look at converting to epub & sideloading one of many good epub reeaders. that gets you page nunbers without even having to generate the numbers file.

I like the Kobo app but others go for moon+ or aldiko, or mantano & there are how-to-do-it threads for getting the relevant .apk installer files onto your Kindle from google store.
moon+ free reader is in the Amazon store so you can take that for a spin with s sideloaded epub.

PS this route bypasses 2 other KF hassles ( well 3 if you also have issues with books not appearing under "books"). it stops each cover being added back to carousel every time you open a book, and it stops covers turning into blank rectangles when KF does not like your cover art dimensions. You just have the epub reader app on the carousel & then your books ion "shelves" within that app.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Hi Eschwartz interesting read that and it explains why non DRM amazon books that should have page numbers don't display them unless I delete and re-download.

It's a shame amazon decided to do it this way as it was a handy feature on the old e-ink devices.

cybmole Yes but I have managed to fix all the covers, the carousel has grown on me and makes it easy to find what book I am on and it also means I can read the same book at the same spot on multiple devices as last read position works on side loaded books so I would prefer to stick to the Kindle's app.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My non-DRM books do download data from Amazon. As long as the books contain the same ASIN it downloaded the page numbers in my experience.

Regarding the Fire and apps, It should be the same book unless you have converted it anyway, since the Kindle must decrypt the book in the same way before opening it. It should keep the same internal super-secret Store markup after the deDRM up until you convert(/probably editing as well?) and therefore Amazon should think it IS their book. It would be equivalent to downloading from MYK.

Keep in mind I have the e-ink Kindle Touch, and have no idea how any other device might or should work, except by guessing.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apnx, kindle fire hd7, page numbers