Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
BRAINZ!!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Seems to me (as a total layman) that the contrast between a brightly lit screen and darker surroundings would force the eyes/brain to adjust every time that you glanced away from the screen - giving rise to eye strain at least. A non-backlit e-ink screen, being the same brightness as the surroundings, wouldn't have that effect.

OK, lets hear from the experts again................

edited because I can't speel.

Last edited by Bricorn; 06-01-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not saying there isn't a difference; I'm saying that it doesn't matter where the light comes from. Your eyes don't make a distinction between light that's emitted behind a screen or in front of it. If you have some evidence that suggests otherwise, I'd very much like to see it.
Put the two types of screens next to each other in full sunlight.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony's device is a prototype - it's extremely unlikely ever to see the light of day as a manufactured product.
I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you:
E INK INTRODUCES MOBIUS, THE FIRST LARGE FORMAT FLEXIBLE DISPLAY TECHNOLOGY TO GO INTO MASS PRODUCTION

Quote:
"We have been working with Sony for over 10 years, and we are extremely happy to bring this technology to mass production."
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGoat View Post
Seriously, I've read somewhere about LCDs stimulating the pineal gland making it difficult to sleep up until an hour or so after gazing at one. But I believe it's just a theory.
The good controlled data I've seen so far is that there is significant melatonin suppression after two full hours of staring at an iPad at full brightness before bed. Which no-one in their right mind ever does. No statistically significant suppression after one hour, even at full brightness. This doesn't mean that individuals who are particularly sensitive won't have effects at one hour, or that there may be other mechanisms.

I know that my Glo emits a lot less light than my iPad, even when I dial brightness way down on the iPad. Night mode may make the difference for some, but I (like many others) can't read light-on-dark text well. Perhaps more importantly, the Glo is a lot, lot less blue than any LCD screen I have.

Last edited by meeera; 06-08-2013 at 09:09 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/1...impair-memory/

As neuroscientist Mark Changizi put it in a blog post:

" In nature, information comes with a physical address (and often a temporal one), and one can navigate to and from the address. Those raspberry patches we found last year are over the hill and through the woods — and they are still over the hill and through the woods.

And up until the rise of the web, the mechanisms for information storage were largely spatial and could be navigated, thereby tapping into our innate navigation capabilities. Our libraries and books — the real ones, not today’s electronic variety — were supremely navigable."
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote