Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2023, 12:26 PM   #1
brendandebeasi
brendandebeasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Did a Kindle Oasis 3 FW Update Nerf Battery Life?

I bought my Kindle oasis three a little over two years ago ago, and was amazed how the battery could last for a month at a time.

Fast forward to now, and I am lucky if the battery lasts four days. I have tried resetting the Kindle and verify there is no indexing issue.

Amazon offered me 20% off a new oasis, and given the fact that this device was almost $250 I refused to buy a new one on principal.

I ended up purchasing a new battery and a new screen (because you cannot replace the battery without destroying the screen). This repair was successful, but the battery is just as bad now as it was before.

This leads me to think that maybe there was some sort of firmware update that Nerfed battery life. Has anybody else experienced this or do you have any recommendations on how to get the battery back to normal?
brendandebeasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 12:56 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
First, make sure that it goes into deep sleep after it has been asleep for more than 30 minutes or so. (Instead of waking up almost instantly, it displays a message "waking up" for a few seconds. If that doesn't happen and you have a sleep cover, it might not be in the cover quite right and a magnet is keeping the kindle awake.

There have always been a portion of Oasis 2 and Oasis 3 devices that run through battery quickly. I think it is a bug that triggers some "attempt to phone home loop" (there may be more than one possible such loop).

I bought an Oasis 2 in 2017 and battery life on it has always been "adequate" (Oasis 2 & 3 have a smallish battery despite faster CPU than previous kindles).

I bought an Oasis 3 after it had been out a couple of years and it almost immediately started having very short battery life. I did some searching that turned up a fix that worked. The fix required jailbreak, which I had already done. I forget the details, but the fix has been working fine.

Unless your firmware is in the low 5.14.x or below, it is not possible to jailbreak at this time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:33 AM   #3
brendandebeasi
brendandebeasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
@j.p.s I'm not using a sleep cover.

However I think there is something to your "phone home" theory. I put the device in airplane mode and the battery drain.

What was the fix you mentioned installing? While my device is not able to be jailbroken right now, maybe I could try it in the future.
brendandebeasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...63&postcount=2
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote