Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
kpoviv
kpoviv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Change dictionary in kindle?

The dictionary that comes with my kindle paperwhite is not very complete. For example I like to read classics. Classical books have many words that are not currently used or are little known today, and every time I translate, the meanings of many complex words do not appear. Is there a way to change from the default dictionary?
I have logged into my Amazon account and went to the dictionaries part of the kindle and there is only one option for my language (Spanish). I feel that this dictionary is old or not complete. There are too many words that do not show their meaning.
I DON'T WANT TO ACTIVATE THE WIFI BECAUSE I ALWAYS FORGET IT ON AND THE NEXT DAY THE BATTERY IS ALMOST 5%.
kpoviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Get a Spanish dictionary you like and sideload it. The problem might be finding one that can handle the classical books you like.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoviv View Post
Is there a way to change from the default dictionary?
I have logged into my Amazon account and went to the dictionaries part of the kindle and there is only one option for my language (Spanish). I feel that this dictionary is old or not complete. There are too many words that do not show their meaning.
Yes, you can install new dictionaries and change the default dictionary on your device. For English, Kindles use the Oxford English Dictionary by default, which is a very large one, so it contains most words I look up. For Spanish, Amazon should sell a similar dictionary that is very large and contains most words. You just need to find it, purchase it, and load it onto your Kindle and then set it as your default dictionary.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Get a Spanish dictionary you like and sideload it. The problem might be finding one that can handle the classical books you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
For Spanish, Amazon should sell a similar dictionary that is very large and contains most words. You just need to find it, purchase it, and load it onto your Kindle and then set it as your default dictionary.
There's no need to buy Spanish dictionaries. Amazon offers free bilingual and monolingual Spanish dictionaries as optional downloads for all registered Kindle owners:
  • Real Academia Española el Diccionario de la lengua española
  • Oxford English - Spanish Dictionary
  • Oxford Spanish - English Dictionary
For details on how to download them, see this post.

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-30-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjetive, diccionary, spanish, sustantive