Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2021, 07:25 PM   #46
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
The thing is, you haven't told me how to fix it, because, without an understanding of why the Kobo behaves this way, I don't actually know what changes to make to the line spacing (and even if you told me exactly which ones to make I'd want to know why anyway).
All you have been told is to change the line spacing using the FontForge or Fontlab programs. This problem and this change has nothing to do with patches.
This interval (change) is selected either empirically, or you can copy the metrics from another font (also wrote this, didn't they?).
From experience, this happens when the line spacing in the font used is very large. Fixed is a matter of 2 minutes, and you write the second page why you do not want to do this.
I have already regretted ten times - that I offered you a solution to the problem.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:47 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
The thing is, you haven't told me how to fix it, because, without an understanding of why the Kobo behaves this way, I don't actually know what changes to make to the line spacing (and even if you told me exactly which ones to make I'd want to know why anyway).
The two of you have gone back and forth on this in fairly pointless ways.

Firstly, have you actually tried what @Semwize is suggesting? I can't tell. And until you do that, you can't be sure whether it helps or not.

But, going back to the first post, is this only happening after a reboot? Does it happen if you set the font size in one book, open another and set the font there (to something different) and then go back to the first? With this happening around a reboot, it suggests a problem with the database. The font settings are stored for each book in the database. If that cannot be read properly after a reboot, or reopening a book, then what you are seeing is something I would expect.

And, considering the thread you are in, have you tried without the patches? You mention two patches. I doubt having those enabled would cause the problem you are reporting. Though there is a possibility that something else has changed which means the settings the patches enable no longer work when they are read from the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #48
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor

Once upon a time, I went through the fonts, looking for the most optimal for myself.
And I noticed that some of the added fonts changed the line spacing after the reboot, it was different from the established. It was cured by changing the line spacing in FontLab. The database has nothing to do with it.

This error will never occur for those who use Kobo stock fonts. Appears only with some added fonts.

I just fixed all the fonts used and since then no problem.

Last edited by Semwize; 10-31-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:24 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
@davidfor

Once upon a time, I went through the fonts, looking for the most optimal for myself.
And I noticed that some of the added fonts changed the line spacing after the reboot, it was different from the established. It was cured by changing the line spacing in FontLab. The database has nothing to do with it.

This error will never occur for those who use Kobo stock fonts. Appears only with some added fonts.

I just fixed all the fonts used and since then no problem.
That does make some sense. It probably means some value isn't reinitialised properly when changing the settings while reading and hence a calculation is different than when starting reading with the font. Or maybe it is a rounding problem, which would explain the differences between device. In any case, it suggests a bug in the software, which is something that people should report to Kobo so that they can fix. But, it could also be a problem with the font having settings that are inconsistent or not set properly in some way. Which is why what you suggests works.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:37 PM   #50
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That does make some sense. It probably means some value isn't reinitialised properly when changing the settings while reading and hence a calculation is different than when starting reading with the font. Or maybe it is a rounding problem, which would explain the differences between device. In any case, it suggests a bug in the software, which is something that people should report to Kobo so that they can fix. But, it could also be a problem with the font having settings that are inconsistent or not set properly in some way. Which is why what you suggests works.
I perceive this as an optimization of custom added fonts for Kobo. As in the case of Bookerly, for example, which also needs to be edited, but no one wrote about it to Kobo

I have all the fonts custom. Kobo fonts just don't fit me, I deleted them.

Last edited by Semwize; 10-31-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 10:04 PM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
I perceive this as an optimization of custom added fonts for Kobo. As in the case of Bookerly, for example, which also needs to be edited, but no one wrote about it to Kobo
I know Kobo optimized the fonts included with the device. But, that isn't the problem here. The problem is the results are inconsistent. It looks like it depends on when the font is loaded. That speaks of a bug. And as I said, suggests something is not be initialised properly. But, it could be triggered by something in the fonts. Maybe an inconsistent value in the font, or one outside some expected range, is ignored and a default or last value is used. Something like that would explain why changing the font fixes it.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #52
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, going back to the first post, is this only happening after a reboot? Does it happen if you set the font size in one book, open another and set the font there (to something different) and then go back to the first? With this happening around a reboot, it suggests a problem with the database. The font settings are stored for each book in the database. If that cannot be read properly after a reboot, or reopening a book, then what you are seeing is something I would expect.

And, considering the thread you are in, have you tried without the patches? You mention two patches. I doubt having those enabled would cause the problem you are reporting. Though there is a possibility that something else has changed which means the settings the patches enable no longer work when they are read from the database.
That's an interesting question! I actually went ahead and updated to the most recent patch today, since it seemed like a good idea to use the newest firmware instead of one from July. If I still experience the problem on that firmware, I'll provide more details in that firmware's thread. Thanks for your assistance!
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #53
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My custom patch has stopped working. (Error: "substring to find is not unique"). It's been too long, and I completely forget how to generate a searchable version of nickel. Can someone remind me? Failing that, perhaps someone knows how to change this to make it work again? My patch reduces the size of the sleeping panel on the Glo HD and looks as follows:

Resize info panel:
- Enabled: yes
- Description: |
Custom patch to change the width of the info panel.
- FindZlib: "#infoWidget"
- ReplaceZlibGroup:
Replacements:
# #infoWidget reduce width
- {Find: "width: 470px;", Replace: "width: 235px;"} #Dragon
# #infoWidget, #infoFrame: reduce top/bottom/right margins
- {Find: "Margin: 22px;", Replace: "Margin: 11px;"} #Dragon
# #infoFrame: reduce left margin
- {Find: "leftMargin: 44px;", Replace: "leftMargin: 22px;"} #Dragon

Last edited by BenChen; 11-27-2021 at 05:57 AM.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #54
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
My custom patch has stopped working. (Error: "substring to find is not unique"). It's been too long, and I completely forget how to generate a searchable version of nickel. Can someone remind me? Failing that, perhaps someone knows how to change this to make it work again? My patch reduces the size of the sleeping panel on the Glo HD and looks as follows:

Resize info panel:
- Enabled: yes
- Description: |
Custom patch to change the width of the info panel.
- ReplaceZlibGroup:
Replacements:
# #infoWidget reduce width
- {Find: "width: 470px;", Replace: "width: 235px;"} #Dragon
# #infoWidget, #infoFrame: reduce top/bottom/right margins
- {Find: "Margin: 22px;", Replace: "Margin: 11px;"} #Dragon
# #infoFrame: reduce left margin
- {Find: "leftMargin: 44px;", Replace: "leftMargin: 22px;"} #Dragon
Try changing this line
Code:
to
Code:
- FindZlib: "#infoFrame"
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #55
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Try changing this line
Code:
to
Code:
- FindZlib: "#infoFrame"
Thanks, jackie_w, that worked.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags