Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-17-2023, 10:53 PM   #1
Construct
Construct began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convert a pdf to epub for edit back to pdf increased page numbers.

I converted a 727 page pdf to epub to link the table of content index to the correct page number in the book. Pdf had no links for the table of content. Just a page number, had to manually page flip to find content.
After hours of linking the pages I convert it back to pdf and now I have 2300 plus pages.

How can I convert it back with the same amount of page numbers that I started with?
Construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:52 AM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
There's a lost commandment in the Dead Sea Scrolls:

"Thou shalt not convert PDF to any other format."
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
On another note, I would suggest trying other tools. There's an action called "Generate bookmarks from TOC" in some PDF apps. I couldn't find a free program with that option, though.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:46 PM   #4
Construct
Construct began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you. Will do some research.
Construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The reason is because You get a lot of broken paragraphs which mean more pages which means more page numbers.

Converting from a novel size PDF is one really bad idea as it's not easy to do. You will get errors and the only way to be 100% sure you have no error introduced because of the conversion, you will need to A/B compare the PDF to the ePub. That means every character, every space, every number, every punctuation. Is it worth it if this is not going to be for sale? NOT AT ALL!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert