Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #151
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I honestly don’t know why people think smaller bezels is an upgrade.

One of the very best things about the nook series in my view has always been how wonderful it is to hold in hand with plenty of space for your hands and fingers without touching the screen.

I really don’t like to see them going down the path of every other E reader. It’s nice to have variety in hardware lineups
I basically of agree with you here. Although it's sometimes an advantage to have the smaller reader. For example I can slip my Kobo Clara HD or PocketBook HD 3 in my front shirt pocket when I need my hands free (this is with them in their cases). That said, the bezels on the GlowLight 4 are still about 1/2" wider (1/4" more on each side) than the Clara or PocketBook. So the bezels aren't completely going away. At this point I'm definitely not going to replace my GL3 with the GL4. I'm pretty happy with the GL3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:34 AM   #152
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
the Glowlight 4 DOES have amber screen. They call it Night Mode.

Night Mode
There are two ways to activate Night Mode.
Manual: Adjust the light yourself.
Auto: Mimics the sun’s natural progression throughout the day.

Why? You can just turn it off.
So by turn it off do you mean that turns the color off? Or do I lose the light altogether. I don't like the color, I am used to the ST w/Glowlight.

I also didn't like the fonts and other things with the screen. Just wasn't happy with it.

Last edited by rhyta; 12-04-2021 at 04:41 AM.
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #153
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyta View Post
So by turn it off do you mean that turns the color off? Or do I lose the light altogether. I don't like the color, I am used to the ST w/Glowlight.

I also didn't like the fonts and other things with the screen. Just wasn't happy with it.
You can turn the color off. The amber light slider and the ordinary light slider are separate. You didn't look at the settings of your GL3?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:32 AM   #154
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, just "unclick" Night Mode and the "warm light" is gone. You still have a lit screen, there's just no hint of orange lights.

Quote:
I would like the ability to have my own fonts, but I've gotten used to Georgia (with the thicker setting) on the GlowLight 3.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #155
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I would like the ability to have my own fonts, but I've gotten used to Georgia (with the thicker setting) on the GlowLight 3.
At some point I got used to Caecilia and have used it ever since on everything without a further thought. But then, I don't use the stock reader.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #156
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never gotten used to any of the default fonts on any of my ereaders. Except in the very beginning, when I didn't know any better.

These days it's Lexia DaMa for me. I could get by with CharisSIL Modified Larger, DejaVuEink or Zilla Slab as well. But Bookerly, Caecilia, Baskerville, Georgia et al. just don't do it for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #157
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
At some point I got used to Caecilia and have used it ever since on everything without a further thought. But then, I don't use the stock reader.
Caecilia is what I used on the Nook Simple Touch. I thought it was a good font.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #158
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've never gotten used to any of the default fonts on any of my ereaders. Except in the very beginning, when I didn't know any better.

These days it's Lexia DaMa for me. I could get by with CharisSIL Modified Larger, DejaVuEink or Zilla Slab as well. But Bookerly, Caecilia, Baskerville, Georgia et al. just don't do it for me.
I like Constantia, but I've gotten used to Georgia — even using it by choice on a current book I'm reading on a Kobo Clara.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #159
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Right, you can completely turn the amber light off and just have the regular blue/white light. In fact, you might find you like just a little bit of the amber. It can help if you find the 'pure' light is too blue.

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. Maybe the Nook just isn't for you. But in general, I just wanted you to know you shouldn't avoid a reader because of the amber light.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #160
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Caecilia is what I used on the Nook Simple Touch. I thought it was a good font.
Quote:
I like Constantia, but I've gotten used to Georgia — even using it by choice on a current book I'm reading on a Kobo Clara.
Hey, you have good taste. Caecilia and Georgia are my two go tos on the ST and newer Nooks.

I didn't like Georgia on the Kobo/kepubs. But since they've improved kepub font handling, Georgia looks pretty good there too.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 AM   #161
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Right, you can completely turn the amber light off and just have the regular blue/white light. In fact, you might find you like just a little bit of the amber. It can help if you find the 'pure' light is too blue.

Yeah, I get that. Maybe the Nook just isn't for you. But in general, I just wanted you to know you shouldn't avoid a reader because of the amber light.
Thanks for the info, all I have ever owned is the Simple Touch with Glowlight so Nook is what I have. I didn't really like the GL 3, guess I just am stuck in my ways. I am sure it won't be long for me to move to a newer one. Will have to see how the GL 4 looks, plan on going to the B&N to see it.
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #162
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Thanks for the info, all I have ever owned is the Simple Touch with Glowlight so Nook is what I have. I didn't really like the GL 3, guess I just am stuck in my ways.
I have a Simple Touch with Glowlight myself and really enjoy using it. I also have a Glowlight 3, but the better half took it, so I don't get to use it much.

If you're looking to move from the Simple Touch, want to stick with Nook and want an upgrade (and don't mind losing the buttons) you might like the 2015 6" Glowlight Plus. You can pick one up cheap on eBay. It uses the same screen as the 3, it is waterproof and has a metal body. And it doesn't have the orange light. I really like mine.

Quote:
I am sure it won't be long for me to move to a newer one. Will have to see how the GL 4 looks, plan on going to the B&N to see it.
I was really hoping it would be waterproof and have the orange light. But I'll still be going to check one out anyway.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:58 AM   #163
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
I have a Simple Touch with Glowlight myself and really enjoy using it. I also have a Glowlight 3, but the better half took it, so I don't get to use it much.

If you're looking to move from the Simple Touch, want to stick with Nook and want an upgrade (and don't mind losing the buttons) you might like the 2015 6" Glowlight Plus. You can pick one up cheap on eBay. It uses the same screen as the 3, it is waterproof and has a metal body. And it doesn't have the orange light. I really like mine.

I was really hoping it would be waterproof and have the orange light. But I'll still be going to check one out anyway.
The promotional pics shows it with the orange light.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:52 AM   #164
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
It seems to me that the trend these days is to have the capability for an extremely "warm" (i.e. reddish) light. My Poke3 needs to run the warm light at 1/4 of the level of the cool light to give somewhere around neutral light.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #165
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
The promotional pics shows it with the orange light.
There are two models called Glowlight Plus. The current model is a 7.8" thing that has the amber light. Looks like this:

Then there's the one I linked to. The 2015 Glowlight Plus (internally called Glow 2). It has a 6" screen and no warmlight. Looks like this:

(The hand holding it is optional. Does not come with purchase)

Tags
nook