Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2021, 09:12 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I almost wonder if this is something along the lines of a Voyage 2 in that it might slot between the PW and the Oasis?

But this is all speculation frpm me based on details from one random person on the internet citing other random people on the internet that may or may not exist.
I'd love a Oasis sized screen without the page turn buttons.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:14 AM   #17
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
In before goodereader sees my vague speculation and insists a Voyage2 is coming with a 6.8" 300PPI screen...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I cannot see the lineup expanding beyond the 3 existing Kindle models.

I could even see them phasing out the Oasis and just having 2 models, or calling this new one Paperwhite Plus and keeping the PW4 around for awhile.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:37 PM   #19
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I cannot see the lineup expanding beyond the 3 existing Kindle models.

I could even see them phasing out the Oasis and just having 2 models, or calling this new one Paperwhite Plus and keeping the PW4 around for awhile.
I can too. The Oasis is just so expensive compared to the PW, I wonder just how many they actually sell.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have a 9th generation Oasis, and a 10th gen Paperwhite. I switch back and forth between the two, and use the Paperwhite when traveling or when I want one with my in my purse.

If the battery lasted longer on my Oasis, I'd like it more. If the front light on the Paperwhite was brighter, I'd like it more. I've had the Oasis almost 4 years, and like the form factor less as time goes on.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I can too. The Oasis is just so expensive compared to the PW, I wonder just how many they actually sell.
I don’t think they sell a lot of them, but probably more than Voyage did (as there have been 3 iterations). It’s there to occupy a price point and the buttons and larger screen are must have for some (particularly those who cannot read backlit screens comfortably). And some just want ‘the best’ rather than ‘good enough’.

I saw that the PW4 had its lowest ever sale price recently (in US). Perhaps a sign they are clearing inventory and getting ready to replace it (though this is not a particularly strong indicator).
Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 PM   #22
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
It does seem to go on sale more this year. They keep trying to offer me another for 60.00 in payments of 12.00 for 5 months whenever I go on the Amazon site.

As for the Oasis, it is too pricey for many, but there are still fans who once they get used to it dislike the Paperwhite much, as you see on Reddit with many users. I'd seriously hope they didn't nix the Oasis and am not seeing it, but you never know.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:27 AM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
It does seem to go on sale more this year. They keep trying to offer me another for 60.00 in payments of 12.00 for 5 months whenever I go on the Amazon site.

As for the Oasis, it is too pricey for many, but there are still fans who once they get used to it dislike the Paperwhite much, as you see on Reddit with many users. I'd seriously hope they didn't nix the Oasis and am not seeing it, but you never know.
Yes, Oasis is worth it for some people, and it’s had 3 releases (more than the DX and Voyage can claim), but I think the market for eReaders is shrinking, and that might mean fewer options at the high end (for Kobo as well).
Old 09-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #24
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
LED backlight is probably a miscommunication.

I hope we can get a DX 2, maybe with a pressure sensitive stylus and note taking.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #25
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Even top of the line iPads do not have 300ppi. You don't understand what you're saying.

My brand new 2021 12.9" iPad has a 265ppi, with 2732x2048px.
Your ipad is the entry level model. It goes pro > air > mini > ipad.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
but I think the market for eReaders is shrinking,

Given that ereaders tend to appeal to people who have orbited Sol many times, and that's a growing demographic, I'd be interested to see the data that led you this conclusion.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:09 AM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Your ipad is the entry level model. It goes pro > air > mini > ipad.
The 12.9" iPad is an iPad Pro model. The entry level iPad (which I would have placed above the iPad Mini) has a 10.2" display.
Code:
iPad Pro:  12.9" or 11" display
iPad Air:  10.9" display
iPad:      10.2" display
iPad Mini:  7.9" display

Last edited by DNSB; 09-02-2021 at 01:11 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:13 AM   #28
junioryoudare
junioryoudare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Last gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Given that ereaders tend to appeal to people who have orbited Sol many times, and that's a growing demographic, I'd be interested to see the data that led you this conclusion.
I feel the same, instead of shrinking it is actually growing in a stable way. And you can easily observe this just from the increasing subscription and post number on related Reddit subreddits over the years if you are a long-term user. Moreover, I can easily tell that oasis is way more popular than you guys think. Especially in USA market. And it is starting to have a considerable market share on europe too.

One thing imo you guys miss is that, the current kindle touch and paperwhite lineups are not too different when you get them on hand. Of course, there is dpi, processor, and other things that are different in both devices but when you use them both at the same that there literally is not too much of a difference if you are not a dpi pervert or something that is.

I can imagine kindle touch being discontinued and paperwhite being the new basic model and oasis replacing the paperwhite lineup as a mid level device. honestly with the ever-growing technology, there is not too much market incentive to sell two same screen size devices like touch and paperwhite at the same time.

As for what their new high level device will be, I can only speculate.
junioryoudare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The screen is a lot cheaper on Touch compared to PW3 or PW4. 167 dpi vs 300 dpi is a huge difference, nothing to do with DPI perverts. Only someone using a large font due to poor eyesight not much helped by glasses wouldn't prefer the 300 dpi over 167 dpi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by junioryoudare View Post
if you are not a dpi pervert or something that is.
Let's hope for Amazon's sake they don't adopt this bizarre ad hominem slur in their marketing "buy a Touch, unless you're dpi pervert".
I'm not obsessed over dpi, but even I can tell the difference between ~220 and 300, I imagine it would be the INability to distinguish between 167 and 300 that would mark a person as atypical, not the ability to do so.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote