Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
AlaVander
Enthusiast
AlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAlaVander can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
Some news about the new Kindle Reader from China

According to Chinese netizens, a factory that produces screens for Kindle has a production line that is producing 6.8-inch, 300 ppi Kindle screens, which may be kpw5 screens.

The factory is responsible for the manufacturing, fitting and quality inspection of the touch panel, and the assembly with the ink screen, LED backlight and cover plate provided by the superior supplier. The finished product delivered is the whole screen component.

The EPD line supplier of this screen is expected to return to work in mid September because of the stoppage of COVID-19's epidemic prevention.

It is said that the screen is a plastic cover plate with an equal width upper frame and left and right frames. Its width is similar to that of KO3, and the width of the lower frame is similar kpw4 and is also printed with a logo.

At the same time, the factory is still producing the KO3 screen code named vermouth. But up to now, the KO3 of 32GB has been out of stock for nearly two months at the official selling channel of Amazon in Chinese mainland.

In addition, some Chinese Kindle agents said that kpw5 would be released in November this year( Amazon has withdrawn from the Chinese market in 2019 and only retains Kindle e-books and cross-border trade, so it sells Kindle offline through agents)
AlaVander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What is with ‘LED backlight’? Kindles do not have that. Assume something is lost in translation?

At any rate, if this pans out and it has better display and CPU, I’ll probably get one.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sounds like a New Tablet...Fire... IF its true the reading will be 300ppi I WANT!!!

Please post a Link about this new device

Last edited by Barbara1955; 08-29-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:52 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Sounds like a New Tablet...Fire... IF its true the reading will be 300ppi I WANT!!!

I would guess that Amazon isn't going to be making eink tablets anytime soon.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon is a company with data-centres and warehouses that publishes (books, comics, video, audio books) and retails their own warehouse stock ("fulfilled by Amazon") and also has ebay style listings / third part sales. Any Amazon branded products are made by someone else and some of them don't meet EU or USA standards. The Kindle, Fire and TV stick are exceptions on quality. Their retail is now a small percentage of hosting services (so called Cloud = someone else's rented server via the Internet).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:

Even top of the line iPads do not have 300ppi. You don't understand what you're saying.

My brand new 2021 12.9" iPad has a 265ppi, with 2732x2048px.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Even top of the line iPads do not have 300ppi. You don't understand what you're saying.

My brand new 2021 12.9" iPad has a 265ppi, with 2732x2048px.
FWIW, the iPad Mini 3 and 4 have a 326ppi 2048x1536 display.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
FWIW, the iPad Mini 3 and 4 have a 326ppi 2048x1536 display.
I think that came up in the last convo about 300ppi Fire tablets. Much more costly than a 7" Fire.

It has a lot to do with the px, doesn't it? I'm not up on the tech details. If a buyer is willing to spend the money, the Mini is a great choice. I have an older model too, and love it. The newest Mini, with 256gb is $550.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it is pretty clear this is not talking about a Fire tablet. And the Oasis has a 300 PPI screen FWIW.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I’m wondering if they plan to release a larger paperwhite.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I’m wondering if they plan to release a larger paperwhite.
That is what this rumor is saying. It might make some sense to launch in the fall so they can harvest some holiday sales. And the less incremental the updated model(s) are, the more people may be inclined to get one.

For me it would need to have a significant display improvement (e-Ink apparently has one that improves contrast and saturation for B&W and the color panel based on this), and improved responsiveness or performance (I keep hoping they bring back TTS and maybe they could also have Immersion Reading also if they had more cores or something to work with). A priori I’m not interested in warm light (Dark Mode is fine for me) but I would not complain. Larger size? I suppose, though I’m not sold on it.

At this point the entire lineup is due for update: the Kindle should have more than 600x800 and maybe waterproof it, the other two can get the display/performance bumps. Color is the wildcard, maybe the latest iteration is good enough, and doesn’t take away much from B&W experience.

For extra credit, add ability to attach BT keyboard and do most things with it. Typing notes, initiate search, turn pages etc.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-30-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:30 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That is what this rumor is saying. It might make some sense to launch in the fall so they can harvest some holiday sales. And the less incremental the updated model(s) are, the more people may be inclined to get one.

For me it would need to have a significant display improvement (e-Ink apparently has one that improves contrast and saturation for B&W and the color panel based on this), and improved responsiveness or performance (I keep hoping they bring back TTS and maybe they could also have Immersion Reading also if they had more cores or something to work with). A priori I’m not interested in warm light (Dark Mode is fine for me) but I would not complain. Larger size? I suppose, though I’m not sold on it.

At this point the entire lineup is due for update: the Kindle should have more than 600x800 and maybe waterproof it, the other two can get the display/performance bumps. Color is the wildcard, maybe the latest iteration is good enough, and doesn’t take away much from B&W experience.

For extra credit, add ability to attach BT keyboard and do most things with it. Typing notes, initiate search, turn pages etc.
I’m not happy with the current paperwhite anymore. Certainly not after having the Oasis and the Voyage. Plus I have three Kobo’s now, 2 larger screens with page turn buttons, so it would take something really special for me to buy another Kindle. I’d even put the paperwhite last in my collection, behind the Kobo Clara HD. I am a sucker for new e-readers so I’ll never say never
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:01 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I think that came up in the last convo about 300ppi Fire tablets. Much more costly than a 7" Fire.

It has a lot to do with the px, doesn't it? I'm not up on the tech details. If a buyer is willing to spend the money, the Mini is a great choice. I have an older model too, and love it. The newest Mini, with 256gb is $550.
The Fire Phone was Over 300ppi & so were the HDX fire tablets

Exclusive 7" HDX display with high pixel density and perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB, 323 ppi / 1920 x 1200)

Phone: Display 4.7 in (120 mm) IPS LCD
Gorilla Glass 3
1280×720 px (315 ppi)[3]

Last edited by Barbara1955; 08-31-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #14
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I almost wonder if this is something along the lines of a Voyage 2 in that it might slot between the PW and the Oasis?

But this is all speculation frpm me based on details from one random person on the internet citing other random people on the internet that may or may not exist.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:10 AM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
The Fire Phone was Over 300ppi & so were the HDX fire tablets

Exclusive 7" HDX display with high pixel density and perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB, 323 ppi / 1920 x 1200)
Maybe you can find an HDX on eBay.