Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Is there a limit to the length of the Authors field?

I like to have all the authors of those multi author novel box sets and even anthologies (helps to quickly find other works of authors whose work you enjoy after reading their short story in an anthology).

I am just wondering if I will run into a limit when dealing with 34 plus authors in an anthology.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I like to have all the authors of those multi author novel box sets and even anthologies (helps to quickly find other works of authors whose work you enjoy after reading their short story in an anthology).

I am just wondering if I will run into a limit when dealing with 34 plus authors in an anthology.
You will if you send to device that uses {authors} in the filename. Just too long.

Calibre splits them up for its internal filing And appears to file the title under the first listed author
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't ever use send to device. I save my files with the metadata saved and the file names formatted so the books will list on my android in order by series. I find that even when the series info is in the metadata the ebook reader I use on my android does not list the books in order by series and is a pain.

I prefer to have my ebooks I'm reading on my sd card in author folders so I can switch between ebook readers if I need to go to another reader if the file format does not match my reader of choice.

I use calibre as a library management program only and save the books I want to read to a directory, then copy that directory to my sd card. Makes it easy to switch devices if I run out of power on one and need to go to my "backup" android.

I make a decision about how to save the author names in the case of anthologies or will save them in an "anthology" folder with the file names truncated. The decision of what authors I want to read is made by going through my calibre library.

My question was more about the limits in calibre about the field.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
My question was more about the limits in calibre about the field.
Calibre does not care how many authors a book has. However, calibre will truncate the name in its internal folder hierarchy generated from the list of authors so that the operating system file name limits are not exceeded. You cannot count on calibre's folder names being computable from the authors' names.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-27-2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: fixed quote
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Inferno
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre does not care how many authors a book has. However, calibre will truncate the name in its internal folder hierarchy generated from the list of authors so that the operating system file name limits are not exceeded. You cannot count on calibre's folder names being computable from the authors' names.
But when I do a right click, Similar books it appears to show books by all the authors.

Basically, I like being able to see the anthologies an author has works in as well as their individual works when I look for similar works.

Personal preferences I guess.
I was just wondering if there was a limit on the field.
Advert