Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Kobo H20 which one to buy

Looking to upgrade to the H20 but not sure whether to get first or 2nd edition. has anyone got either and which would you recommend?
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I chose the first edition, because I decided I wanted the SD card slot, and also, don't care about the special color temperature lighting. Plus, it was cheaper, and found a good price on the official case on ebay.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you feel that 8GB (roughly 7GB after the system software) of internal storage is enough? Do you feel you need a memory card slot? If the answers are no, go for the 2nd Edition H2O.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I support an H2O for my mom. If I was to get another reader for her it would be the H2O2 (or Aura One). The sleekness, weight, and Comfort Light Pro would tip the scales for me/her.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys 8gb internal enough for me gonner get new edition can't wait
Advert
Old 08-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
stats
stats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enough

Device: sony pr505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
thanks guys 8gb internal enough for me gonner get new edition can't wait
The H2O2 does not support KSM or KOreader yet.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

Whats KSM?

Purchased H202 today
Old 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
Whats KSM?
Kobo Start Menu.

An alternate menu from where you can launch 3rd party programs. Like KOreader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=266821
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(IMHO) unless you plan on reading PDF, there's no need for koreader.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
stats
stats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enoughstats will become famous soon enough

Device: sony pr505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
(IMHO) unless you plan on reading PDF, there's no need for koreader.
Koreader responds much faster than Nickel. Nickel seems glacially slow at times.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stats View Post
Koreader responds much faster than Nickel. Nickel seems glacially slow at times.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
But how well does it render ePub? If it's true that it uses the Coolreader engine, then it won't render ePub as well as RMDSK.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you want to mod the hell out of it, the older model might be better (internal sd card slot allows you to recover from any bricks or if the storage goes bad after doing way too many firmware switches/factory resets).

If you just want to read as it comes out of the box - pick the one you like better.

I would not trust either model too much with regards to waterproofness... if you want to dip it in the bath tub or pool... use additional protection somehow. (Not sure which works better here for the touch screen).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
bookaho!ic
Evangelist

mainly want it as wanted new one and also wanted the bigger screen but not the big screen like the aura one
Old 08-13-2017, 03:14 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I've just changed from an H2O to an H2O2.

It's nice and light, the screen is great, and I really like the adjustable light temperature feature. I don't use an SD card so the increase on-board storage is a nice touch also. Though I didn't have much in the way of trouble getting the H2O's door open, not having to do that to plug in is a bit of a bonus too.

I upgraded mainly because I bought the H2O the moment I came out, so the battery is starting to show its age.

Bottom line: both are good devices. Get the one you can afford.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:15 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Also: I wouldn't buy the original H2O for someone with manual dexterity issues. It does require a bit of a knack to get the door open.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote