Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #31
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm seriously out of touch with the modern SF scene.
You're lucky. I'm seriously out of touch with everything written before 1970 and after 2000, apart from the following:

- Some of the classics
- Lord of the Rings
- Series that started in the 70's or 80's and are still running.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #32
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS: Haven't the Hugo Awards been criticized with (or even accused of) rigging the ballot to get a particular author to win, the last couple of years?
Advert
Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 AM   #33
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
PS: Haven't the Hugo Awards been criticized with (or even accused of) rigging the ballot to get a particular author to win, the last couple of years?
Yeah, Puppydom. Google Sad Puppies and Rabid Puppies, and if you can stomach it, also look at Vox Day. Personally I keep well away from all that; even if I am eligible to vote, I don't bother. Not because I don't like the books or what's on the ballot, it's because I prefer my reading to be untainted by consideration of awards.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:06 AM   #34
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've read all of the Hugo Best Novel winners, except for this latest one. Which would have been true no matter what had won, unusually. I really liked The Fifth Season, so I'm perfectly happy to continue with the series.

I don't see that the quality has particularly declined in recent years.

There were an unusual number of debuts on the list, but those were the books that were getting the buzz, as far as I could see. I think it was just a year where the big names didn't have much out.

If you hanker for old-school Asimov/Clarke type stuff you should probably check out the Cixin Liu trilogy whose first book won a couple of years ago, and whose third was on the shortlist this year. I liked the first one, but not really enough that I wanted to carry on with the series.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #35
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's hardly an excuse to stop writing.
It certainly hasn't stopped some writers. Michael Crichton came out with a new book back in May and he died 9 years ago.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It certainly hasn't stopped some writers. Michael Crichton came out with a new book back in May and he died 9 years ago.
But sometimes they find books not yet published after death and it gets published.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're lucky. I'm seriously out of touch with everything written before 1970 and after 2000, apart from the following:

- Some of the classics
- Lord of the Rings
- Series that started in the 70's or 80's and are still running.
I generally keep up and manage to find new authors every year. Heck, I even read Ready, Player One when it came out, read and liked Red Shirt before it won.

I'm really not into dark dystopia for the most part. Occasionally, I run into one that I find interesting, but more times than not, I get a couple of chapters in, then move on to the next book in my to be read stack.

I generally do check out books in the Hugo list with the idea to trying them out, but if the plot summery doesn't appeal to me and the reviews high light things that I don't find very interesting, then I look for other books to read.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But sometimes they find books not yet published after death and it gets published.
There is this odd concept called humor. I think that most here understand that people don't keep writing after they die.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There is this odd concept called humor. I think that most here understand that people don't keep writing after they die.
Why do we have "ghost writers", in that case?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #40
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Wasn't there an old western song about that? Ghost Writers in the Sky?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #41
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
I generally keep up and manage to find new authors every year. Heck, I even read Ready, Player One when it came out, read and liked Red Shirt before it won.

I'm really not into dark dystopia for the most part. Occasionally, I run into one that I find interesting, but more times than not, I get a couple of chapters in, then move on to the next book in my to be read stack.

I generally do check out books in the Hugo list with the idea to trying them out, but if the plot summery doesn't appeal to me and the reviews high light things that I don't find very interesting, then I look for other books to read.
I loved Ready Player One but unfortunately did not read it for some time after it was published. I didn't like Red Shirts. I still love Science Fiction but like others here can tend to live in the past to some extent, though I too find some new authors every year. I went through a dystopian phase years ago but now tend to shy away from it, though there are exceptions. "The Girl with all the Gifts" and the recently released "The Boy on the Bridge" come to mind as examples. I sometimes look at the award lists simply to find new Authors to try, though am often disappointed.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do we have "ghost writers", in that case?
good point.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #43
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I generally keep up...
I'm not even trying.

I bought a Cybook Gen3 reader in 2007, sold it a few months later in 2008, and then went back to paper for three years because nothing I wanted to read was available; and Calibre was still in its infancy.

Then the 2010 e-book boom happened, making almost everything I wanted available, e-readers became usable with a full touch screen, DRM was cracked for both Amazon and ADE, Calibre had matured a great deal, and Sigil had appeared so e-books (epubs) could be edited and fixed if needed.

That was the point where I jumped into e-reading again.

At that time, between 2011 and 2014, I bought hundreds and hundreds of books: Using Kobo coupons, I bought everything I wanted to read, probably wanted to read and possibly wanted to read, bought close to 60 Delphi Classics, downloaded the FeedBooks public domain books (all of them... thanks for using a very clear pattern of storing them, allowing me to write a script to get them, guys), and scrounged up every single Baen Free Library DVD.

Since 2014, I add some books and series here and there on recommendations, but I'm sure I have everything I ever wanted to read... and more.

I'm trying to read all the 70's and 80's fantasy I was too young to read, and I missed half of the 90's because of oblilgatory reading lists in high school. I've had years in which I had to read 80 books a year (separated between Dutch, English, French and German) a year on top of my homework.

So yeah, I just pick up whatever I want, and I don't really care if it was written in 1971 or 2017. In all likelyhood, it'll be older than newer, especially if it's a long-running series.

(And then, I'm even leaving out "The Sword of Truth" and "The Wheel of Time", because I've been reading in the reviews that they're not worth it after the first few books.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-14-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
(And then, I'm even leaving out "The Sword of Truth" and "The Wheel of Time", because I've been reading in the reviews that they're not worth it after the first few books.)
You may be reading the wrong reviews.

To be clear ... I don't really disagree with your assessment of those two authors/series (perhaps even going as far as to say the "first few books" weren't worth it for me). They both, however, have legions of fans who would beg to differ.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You may be reading the wrong reviews.

To be clear ... I don't really disagree with your assessment of those two authors/series (perhaps even going as far as to say the "first few books" weren't worth it for me). They both, however, have legions of fans who would beg to differ.
Personally, I would read the first of the Wheel of Time books, it was an exceptional book and IMPO can be read as a stand alone without too much issue. Yes, there are unanswered questions, but if you like it you can always get the next book.