Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #2806
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Are the voice files an Amazon supported feature on that model? If so, you might want to contact support and see what they tell you to do to get them installed. At worst they tell you it can't be done at present and let the developers know they broke something.

Dave
Yes, they are.
The PW3 was the first device to support VoiceView.
Ref: The current, as of this date, 3 devices supporting VoiceView:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580

Note: You might be thinking of "Audible" support.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #2807
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, they are.
The PW3 was the first device to support VoiceView.
Ref: The current, as of this date, 3 devices supporting VoiceView:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580

Note: You might be thinking of "Audible" support.
Nope. I was relating this to coplate's use of the VoiceView files to test for the ability to downgrade to factory firmware as they use the same format. Given the VoiceView files are an Amazon supported feature the inability to install them is a problem that should be reported to their support people as a regression in the firmware that should be fixed. After all it is quite possible that a VoiceView file might become damaged and require replacement.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #2808
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope. I was relating this to coplate's use of the VoiceView files to test for the ability to downgrade to factory firmware as they use the same format. Given the VoiceView files are an Amazon supported feature the inability to install them is a problem that should be reported to their support people as a regression in the firmware that should be fixed. After all it is quite possible that a VoiceView file might become damaged and require replacement.

Dave
I see, you missed what is being tested.

We only want to see if the Kindle will accept a package with the same first four characters. That is the "Package Type" or "Magic Number".
The contents do not matter for this particular test.

The reason is, when Amazon blocked our current jail break, they only disallowed the "Package Type" or "Magic Number" of the "Initial Factory (production use only)" files.
The Amazon VV files use the same four character magic number.

I.E: They DID block their own VV file packages, we know it, they know it, it was not accidental, it was done that way to avoid re-packaging the VV file packages then in distribution.

Because of problems supporting VV on devices where the customer has used "(Factory) Reset" the "block" is not included in all device/firmware combinations.
Evidently, when the complaint pile reaches a certain height, they push out a firmware version without the block, let every complainer reload the files and then push out another firmware version with the block.
It is only a single line of code that gets commented out in the firmware package.

Use "kindletool convert --info package_name" on both a factory initial package and a vv package and you can see what I mean.

Last edited by knc1; 11-02-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #2809
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Are the voice files an Amazon supported feature on that model? If so, you might want to contact support and see what they tell you to do to get them installed. At worst they tell you it can't be done at present and let the developers know they broke something.

Dave
I did not contact them, because I did not want to give the developers there the heads up that we were focused on that package type too strongly.

When I referenced using the PW3 voice files, it was just because they were in that certain file type that knc1 mentions.

My conclusion from various things posted over time is that:

All fresh-out-of-the-box kindles can use this package type. But once you do your first update - OTA or USB - you lose the ability to use this package type. And that it is not worth amazons time to try to change this, for factory production reasons.

Last edited by coplate; 11-02-2017 at 04:24 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #2810
WalkerD
WalkerD began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Hi knc1

I'm new here, and I've read some of the pages in the forum about jailbreaks, but I'm still a bit lost, so I decided to post here first, to see if you could indicate me a path.

I recently got a PW3 (pt-br) and its firmware is 5.8.11_3243010037

- What's the best path to follow to jailbreak my PW3? I noticed that were more than one here, so I thought was better to ask first.
- is this version problematic to jailbreak? Also, do I get any advantages in speed overall after it (or even on reading specific formats, like pdf)?
- I don't really know the must have things after jailbreaking (besides custom screensavers), but I would like to avoid getting a bunch of things that I'll never use, so I though about asking if there's something really good that I should try, before turning my eyes away from most plugins.
- How dangerous are bricks in PW3? Wouldn't like to lose my device, so are they reversible, and is that a hard thing?
- Auto Updates are harmful in a jailbroken device?

I guess probably most of this questions are answered around here somewhere, if so, sorry for that. Hope you can guide me a bit though thanks.

Last edited by WalkerD; 11-02-2017 at 06:45 PM.
WalkerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #2811
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@WalkerD: You can't jailbreak firmware 5.8.11, or downgrade from it to older firmware version. So your choice is between two paths:

1) jailbreak via serial port (which involves taking apart you Kindle and soldering wires to its motherboard)
2) sit and wait for indefinite length of time in hopes that maybe someday someone will find new (software / closed case) jailbreak "vector".

In other words , assume that your Kindle will probably never be jailbroken and carry on using it.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #2812
knc1
Going Viral

A PW3 running 5.8.11?
Serial port only.

No performance change.
Our "jail break" is only a signature certificate added to the key store so people can install our packages.

KOreader is one generally useful add-in

You will already have a serial port install, short of frying the silicon, with serial port access you can fix anything.

The jail break is "viral" - it auto re-installs itself after an Amazon update.
(except for the KOA2, where it is currently rather broken. )

All answered in the first post of this thread.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:20 AM   #2813
skyzam
skyzam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi guys,
I just purchased a PW3 (the one with the 300 dpi screen, right?) from best buy and it came with firmware 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011). I saw on the op that I should post in this thread before doing anything to it.
I'd appreciate some advice on how to proceed.
Thanks.
skyzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #2814
WalkerD
WalkerD began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@WalkerD: You can't jailbreak firmware 5.8.11
Thanks

Quote:
A PW3 running 5.8.11?
Serial port only.

All answered in the first post of this thread.
Thank you for taking the time answering me
WalkerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #2815
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzam View Post
Hi guys,
I just purchased a PW3 (the one with the 300 dpi screen, right?) from best buy and it came with firmware 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011). I saw on the op that I should post in this thread before doing anything to it.
I'd appreciate some advice on how to proceed.
Thanks.
PM sent.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #2816
knc1
Going Viral

Limitations

Limitations:
Updated the introduction in the first post to cover the current situations.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:13 AM   #2817
skyzam
skyzam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
PM sent.
Thanks!
skyzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #2818
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast
CaesarW began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 PW4 (all jb)
I got a new Kindle paperwhite 3 with 5.8.9.0.1 firmware. Wanna jailbreak. What to do?
CaesarW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #2819
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
I assume the most of PW3 5.8.9.0.1 will succeed with the standard procedure from the first post.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #2820
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
I assume the most of PW3 5.8.9.0.1 will succeed with the standard procedure from the first post.
Steps 5-9. 1-4 are not necessary.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote