Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Can't Download Files (epub, pdf, etc.) Via Web Browser After Most Recent Update

With the most recent Kobo firmware update, I cannot download files such as epubs, pdfs, etc. using the built in web browser. I have tried files from Project Gutenberg and Archive of Our Own and while I get the "Would you like to download this file" box, nothing happens once I select "OK". This occurs with both large and small files (fanfiction novels that are 200+ chapters, illustrated e-books, >1000 word short stories and oneshots, etc.).

Is an update coming soon that'll fix this issue and/or has anyone discovered an effective work-around? Thanks.
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, 2 Kindle Fire HDs, Nexus 7, 3 Phablets
It's broke in the recent firmware update as you found out. Oddly I discovered that Gmail attachments work still. Just attach the books in an email and send it to yourself.

Open the email up in Kobo's browser and click on the icon by the attachment's name. Not the filename itself. It should download. I've only tried epubs so I can't speak about PDFs working.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:23 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC-Caron View Post

With the most recent Kobo firmware update, I cannot download files such as epubs, pdfs, etc. using the built in web browser. I have tried files from Project Gutenberg and Archive of Our Own and while I get the "Would you like to download this file" box, nothing happens once I select "OK". This occurs with both large and small files (fanfiction novels that are 200+ chapters, illustrated e-books, >1000 word short stories and oneshots, etc.).
Downloading books from web sites is broken in firmware 4.5.9587 when the URL for the book has the filename in it. If the URL does not have the file name, but there is a "Content-Disposition" header, the download will work. The only site I know of that does the latter is GMail for it's attachments. Or earlier calibre v3 betas (which I do not recommend except as an experiment).
Quote:
Is an update coming soon that'll fix this issue and/or has anyone discovered an effective work-around? Thanks.
The next firmware will probably contain a fix for this. But until Kobo actually releases it, we will not know what is in it. In the meantime, if downloading from websites is an important use for you, then I recommend downgrading to 4.4.9344. This worked to download books for all sites I tried including Project Gutenberg. It does not work for Dropbox. I suspect, but have not tested, that it won't work for the GMail attachments mentioned above. Or other sites that only use the Content-Disposition header.

I don't know when to expect the next release. My only expectation (also known as a "wild ass guess") is not this month.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-11-2017 at 04:56 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Are the beta testers currently testing a new version?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O

The "attach files to a g-mail to download" seams to be too many hoops to jump through as I would have to use a different device to initially attach the files to the e-mail in which case why not download and transfer the file via Calibre, but it is nice to know that there is a workaround.
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The "attach files to a g-mail to download" seams to be too many hoops to jump through as I would have to use a different device to initially attach the files to the e-mail in which case why not download and transfer the file via Calibre, but it is nice to know that there is a workaround.
It's just as convoluted as people emailing eBooks to Amazon to download via WiFi on a Kindle when it's so much easier to connect the Reader to the computer and just have Calibre handle it.

And with a Kobo, having Calibre handle it means you get your eBook(s) in the collection(s) you want them to be in.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, 2 Kindle Fire HDs, Nexus 7, 3 Phablets
Quote:

There is the downgrade option as was mentioned.

It's not hoops for me because I have gmail on my phone. I'm not near a computer but once or twice a week so being able to do this without a cable is a must. I just select the books in Dropbox then click share then choose Gmail and send. Quick and easier for me then opening up my laptop and wait ten minutes for it to let me do anything. Gotta love Windows 10.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's just as convoluted as people emailing eBooks to Amazon to download via WiFi on a Kindle when it's so much easier to connect the Reader to the computer and just have Calibre handle it.
No it isn't. The email to Kindle function puts it somewhere that will automatically download to the device. One less step. And no, I can't believe I'm defending Amazon/Kindle.
Quote:
And with a Kobo, having Calibre handle it means you get your eBook(s) in the collection(s) you want them to be in.
Yes, the collection management is wonderful, though I probably shouldn't say that.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't decide whether to use the line from "Fight Club" or the saying about what happens in Las Vegas.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Three letters for you: NDA
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #11
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Just 1 more reason to not use my kobo I guess.
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Three letters for you: NDA
I was hoping that saying that another firmware is in test wasn't against the rules.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
I was hoping that saying that another firmware is in test wasn't against the rules.
Most NDAs include boilerplate such as:

Confidential information would include all information that is provided by the Information Provider to the Recipient that is not common knowledge or already in the public domain.

Confidential information does NOT include the following:

Information that is already known in the industry;
Information that becomes publicly known through no fault of the Recipient;
Information already rightfully in the possession of the Recipient;
Information created by the Recipient through the Recipient's own independent research;
Information rightfully disclosed and obtained from a third party.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub downloads, kobo web browser