Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
cvmocanu
cvmocanu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Various: The Holy Bible - King James Version (KJV) of 1611/1769

Hi,

I wanted a KJV translation of the Bible in EPUB format having the translators' notes.
Those can enhance our understanding because it gives us alternative translations and sometimes a literal translation of the original.

Because I couldn't find any KJV in EPUB format having the translators' notes, I decided to make one myself.

So here it is.

What you can find inside:
  • a 3 levels table of contents with New & Old testament / books / chapters
  • words that were added by the translators but not present in the original are styled with italics and in gray color
  • Jesus' words are in red (well... we will see them in gray)
  • the translators' notes
  • the original KJV Preface ("The Epistle Dedicatory" & "The Translators to the Reader")
To produce this, I converted the text taken from the KJV bible distributed with TheWord (http://www.theword.net/).
The author of TheWord states that the text is under public domain in every country other that UK.
The exact words are: "This is the King James Version of the Holy Bible (also known as the Authorized Version). This work is public domain, except in the United Kingdom, where it is governed by Crown copyright."

The preface was taken from artbible website (http://www.artbible.info/bible/preface/). I assume it's under public domain, just as the KJV itself.

Potential ideas for later (if I have time):
- cross-references (with links)
- Strong's numbers with links to dictionary

P.S.: On my Sony PRS-650 it takes about 6 seconds to load this, the first time. The table of contents is also slow to load the first time. It seems the device has some kind of caching because this only happens the first time if I don't open other books.
Do you have any idea how to make things faster? I already have individual xhtml files per chapter, so I don't think splitting further will help. If you have any tips about how to improve performance, please share.

Updates:
04.12.2010 Added custom table of contents (XHTML page) that makes it much faster to jump to a certain Bible chapter. The information is much more compact than in the standard TOC and this means you can jump to a certain chapter without so many screen refreshes.
Also, the verse numbers now link back to this custom TOC, making it much easier to go to another location (on my Sony I have to go through 3 screen refreshes to get to the standard TOC).
05.12.2010 The chapter and verse numbers less that 10 are now prefixed by 0 (e.g. "03" instead of "3") to make the links easier to click.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub KJV-2010-12-04.epub (2.71 MB, 1623 views)
File Type: epub KJV-2010-12-05.epub (2.71 MB, 3234 views)

Last edited by cvmocanu; 12-05-2010 at 12:01 PM.
cvmocanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, cvmocanu

Consider taking a moment to use the "introduce yourself" link below, starting a new thread, and joining us.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
dclavey
ePub Junky
dclavey began at the beginning.

Device: Black Sony Touch PRS-600, iPad
Nice version, I like the Table of contents, must borrow the idea for my version

Touch Bible
dclavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
hinneh
hinneh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thank you and may God richly bless you for making this available. I was getting frustrated trying to use the Bible on an eReader without a TOC, i.e., try to guess what page number the passage is on, then read a few verses because there is no header or footer to tell you where you landed.

C.S.
hinneh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bible, spiritual