Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #136
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Depends on the book prices where Katsunami lives. And on availability. Used books and the library cannot be beat cost wise, but then you have to invest time to hunt the book down.

For the US I did a quick search, and it is usually possible to print 40000 pages for well under US$1000 (for printer & toner).
Did you forget a period somewhere? Spending a thousand dollars to print 40,000 pages doesn't seem like such a deal. A 400 page book would cost $10 to print.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #137
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Did you forget a period somewhere? Spending a thousand dollars to print 40,000 pages doesn't seem like such a deal. A 400 page book would cost $10 to print.
Based on the prices of print on demand books, that sounds about right.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #138
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Based on the prices of print on demand books, that sounds about right.
I did say that it includes the printer. If you want print prices that low, you need a half way decent office printer in the $400-$500 range. And also a printer page is much bigger than a book page. A print on demand kind of printer that binds and makes a cover? No way to do that cost effective at home for personal use.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #139
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I did say that it includes the printer. If you want print prices that low, you need a half way decent office printer in the $400-$500 range. And also a printer page is much bigger than a book page. A print on demand kind of printer that binds and makes a cover? No way to do that cost effective at home for personal use.
says whom? i bought a $100 brother brand b+w laser printer with wifi in 2009 and still use the toner from the 1st purchase (i print maybe 30x a year or so sometimes a lot more). you don't need a $400-$500 printer, your prices are circa 1998.

I also agree with OP. Phones are the best! Fast refresh, better contrast and resolution, I also don't read i. the sun, I think it's a waste of sunlight.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #140
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
says whom? i bought a $100 brother brand b+w laser printer with wifi in 2009 and still use the toner from the 1st purchase (i print maybe 30x a year or so sometimes a lot more). you don't need a $400-$500 printer, your prices are circa 1998.
Since you have not needed to yet, check out prices for toner cartridges for your model. The cheaper the initial price for a printer, the higher your total cost of ownership.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #141
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yep. Cost per page tends to be lower on the more expensive workgroup/business printers.

That said, still think it's impractical particularly considering how easy it is to just order books online.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #142
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The cost of printing a book is also something a lot of authors are foregoing with the ebook market.

I find it a little odd that a forum so invested in digital reading would overlook this cost saving technique for indie writers.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #143
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I also agree with OP. Phones are the best!
The OP did not write that phones are the best.

Only that phones are better when it is too much bother to carry the reader around or when quick access to other apps is important.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #144
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm one who mostly reads on a phone and I don't think it's better than my Kindle. It's as good for my purposes and it's more convenient. I do have to let my eyes rest a minute or two every half hour with a phone and I don't have to do that with a Kindle, but that's not a problem for me since I often stop and think about what I'm reading. I just have to make sure I do that.

I don't think anyone can say what's best for reading. That's a pretty personal decision we're all able to make for ourselves.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote