Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #46
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
When I plan to travel, I make sure I have several ebooks and a couple audio books downloaded. I don’t need all of my books. I suppose if a fire caught me off guard, and it burned up my local cell tower, and my cable service....it could be possible that I’d not have reading material preloaded if it happened while I was near then end of a book.

But I might have more important things to worry about.

I also load movies, tv show and music when I’m preparing to travel.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Reason is that I do not have a "smartphone" & reading places like the doctor's office, dentist or even waiting to get a haircut do not have have wifi available.
"Smartphones" don't need wifi available to access data.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #48
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Smartphones" don't need wifi available to access data.
Which would probably help them, if they had a smart phone.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Nevermind. I read their post wrong. I thought they were suggesting that wifi being unavailable was one of their reasons for not being able to make use of a smartphone. My bad.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #50
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
When I plan to travel, I make sure I have several ebooks and a couple audio books downloaded. I don’t need all of my books. I suppose if a fire caught me off guard, and it burned up my local cell tower, and my cable service....it could be possible that I’d not have reading material preloaded if it happened while I was near then end of a book.

But I might have more important things to worry about.

I also load movies, tv show and music when I’m preparing to travel.
Many people do things not because of need but just because. I keep all my books on my iPad and iPad mini. I download all my kindle books on the kindle I keep in my car. Why? Sometimes just because, but also because sometimes I'm in the mood for a specific work and since I have plenty of room on both my iPads and my kindle, why not?

I very much have a belt and suspenders personality. Some of my hiking buddies nicknamed me Felix, as in Felix the cat and his magical bag, because of all the stuff I carry backpacking. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I have friends who are minimalist hikers. That's fine, there is room for both on the trail.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #51
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
I don’t.

If I read on my Kindle DXG and like my K2 it slows down when I get more than a couple of hundred books. So even if they fit it’s too much of a PITA to have more than 4-5 pages of authors on there. Since I tend to read 4-5 books at a time I’ll have the ones I’m reading available to me on the a kindle so I can read what I feel like.

As far as the other devices iPad and iPhone. I don’t have them on there but I do have access to my collection via MS OneDrive. I have a copy on a HD and another on OneDrive All my books are listed by Author stored there.

I like calibers ability to convert them to the files needed but I don’t use at a library management as it seems clunky to me.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:32 AM   #52
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Many people do things not because of need but just because. I keep all my books on my iPad and iPad mini. I download all my kindle books on the kindle I keep in my car. Why? Sometimes just because, but also because sometimes I'm in the mood for a specific work and since I have plenty of room on both my iPads and my kindle, why not?

I very much have a belt and suspenders personality. Some of my hiking buddies nicknamed me Felix, as in Felix the cat and his magical bag, because of all the stuff I carry backpacking. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I have friends who are minimalist hikers. That's fine, there is room for both on the trail.
No problem with what you just said. I’m just not worried that my lack of having all my books on my device that I may wind up with nothing to read.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:52 AM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Okay, who is guilty?

Guilty of keeping a copy of all their ebooks on every device they own, if more than one?
Wouldn't it be easier to ask who isn't guilty?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #54
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I have friends who are minimalist hikers. That's fine, there is room for both on the trail.
That's a good philosophy to have for life in general methinks. I carry a bunch of stuff in my backpack when I go out including my glucometer, glucose tabs and a snack. I don't usually anticipate having a low blood sugar but like you said it's far better to have it and not need it than to be in need and not have it with me.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 AM   #55
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm innocent, I tell you!

I keep all my books in calibre. Those I'm currently reading/thinking about reading are in my Amazon account, either bought at Amazon or uploaded as documents.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Okay, who is guilty?

Guilty of keeping a copy of all their ebooks on every device they own, if more than one?
I don't. My 2015 Glowlight Plus couldn't hold them all, even if I wanted to. I don't know that my Clara could either.

I just sort of add books to the device when I think of it. I have about 3,000 books on the Clara. But if I ever bothered, I could remove 90% of them and likely not notice the difference.

Quote:
When you get a new device, what do you do in regard to previous purchases, now that you have a quite large library of them?
I add the book I'm currently reading and then wing it from there.

Quote:
Do you prefer to read on your newest device, and does that mean your older devices barely get a look in, if ever?
Unfortunately yes. I use my Glowlight Plus if I'm going to be around water. Otherwise my Clara is my exclusive device.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #57
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
I have a WiFi portable HDD, which I got cheap at a sale. Haven't done much with it yet, just thrown some music and movies and ebooks on it. Last time I went on holiday, I took it along with my Samsung 10" tablet and used it a few times. Certainly all my ebooks would take up very little space on it, so I could look into how that might work with my ereaders, and lessen the load on them maybe.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote