Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Loading a Kobo book into Calibre

I've been reading a lot of posts about Kobo and plug-ins, and have installed plug-ins, but am still very confused. Lots of these seem to want to talk with different devices. I just want it on Calibre (DRM free).

I want to support Kobo, but haven't bought for some time. So I bought an inexpensive short story and can see it on my iPad's Kobo app and on my iMac's Kobo app. I normally use my iPad's app by dragging .epubs to iTunes.

I found what looks like my new story:
/Users/HBrazee/Library/Application Support/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition/kepub/c8863840-593c-44dd-8077-145c30f57bf3

What I want to do is get this story on Calibre. If I can do this without DRM, then I will buy more stuff from Kobo. Otherwise, I will get rid of my account with them. Is there a simple way of doing this?
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
I've been reading a lot of posts about Kobo and plug-ins, and have installed plug-ins, but am still very confused. Lots of these seem to want to talk with different devices. I just want it on Calibre (DRM free).

I want to support Kobo, but haven't bought for some time. So I bought an inexpensive short story and can see it on my iPad's Kobo app and on my iMac's Kobo app. I normally use my iPad's app by dragging .epubs to iTunes.

/Users/HBrazee/Library/Application Support/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition/kepub/c8863840-593c-44dd-8077-145c30f57bf3

What I want to do is get this story on Calibre. If I can do this without DRM, then I will buy more stuff from Kobo. Otherwise, I will get rid of my account with them. Is there a simple way of doing this?
Check for the OBOK plugin for calibre. Search Apprentice Harper, obok_plugin.zip for more information or grab the latest DeDRM (6.5.5?) package from Apprentice Alf's blog which has the Obok plugin included.

Any further discussion is going to have to be taken elsewhere.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

As DNBS said, you can do this using the OBOK plugin that is part of the DeDRM tools.

The alternative is to download the epub version from your library on the Kobo store. Each book you have purchased will be listed and there is a download link in the menu for them. DRM free books will be downloaded directly as an epub. Books with DRM will be downloaded via ADE. These can then be added to calibre with the appropriate plugin from the package mentioned above.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The alternative is to download the epub version from your library on the Kobo store. Each book you have purchased will be listed and there is a download link in the menu for them. DRM free books will be downloaded directly as an epub. Books with DRM will be downloaded via ADE. These can then be added to calibre with the appropriate plugin from the package mentioned above.
I went to Kobo and chatted with the help. She said that I can't download. I gave her feedback that I won't buy from Kobo anymore. I think this is a change.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I went to Kobo and chatted with the help. She said that I can't download. I gave her feedback that I won't buy from Kobo anymore. I think this is a change.
When has it changed? I've downloaded last week.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As Terisa said, when do you think it changed? I have been downloading books from Kobo by this method for about five years. And I downloaded a couple over the weekend.

It is very unlikely that something like this will change. People do buy from Kobo who don't use their devices or apps and downloading as I described is the way for them to read their books.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Rather than using an app have you tried the website

https://secure.kobobooks.com/profile/purchasehistory
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just had a look at Kobo's website and I know for sure, I can still download ePub format. I cannot see them stopping downloading of kepub as that would mean no more direct downloading from the website to the device. That would not be good.

Whatever happened, I'm guessing it's on your end. I don't think it's on Kobo's end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting. I just went to the Kobo website, logged in and then went to My Account/My Books. Clicked on the 3 horizontal dots under Actions by one book and Download was there. Clicked on Download and up popped the Download box. See attached image.

I'm not sure what you ran into but I also tested another account which does not have an attached Kobo device or reading application and worked the same.

I am rather curious as to how you are accessing your Kobo library that you are unable to download most of your epubs from the website or using the Kobo Desktop application on your Windows computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quadrail.png
Views:	327
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	162642  

Last edited by DNSB; 03-04-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: fat fingers cause typos...
Old 03-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Rather than using an app have you tried the website

https://secure.kobobooks.com/profile/purchasehistory
Yes, I tried that before chatting with help. I do not see any way to download a book from there. Either I am missing it, or maybe there's a regional difference (I'm connecting from Colorado). I can link to my book from there, but I'm not finding a way to download.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 5.33.21 AM.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	162644  
Old 03-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I tried that before chatting with help. I do not see any way to download a book from there. Either I am missing it, or maybe there's a regional difference (I'm connecting from Colorado). I can link to my book from there, but I'm not finding a way to download.
PeterT gave you the wrong link. That page shows all the books that you have purchased. The Australian version of the link you want is https://www.kobo.com/au/en/library. That will probably work, but if it doesn't, go to the home page, click on "My Account" on the right side of the screen and click on "My Books". That will take you to the library in whatever country and language you normally use.

If "My Account" is not displayed, you will need to sign in first.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Click on the book title and it will go to the book page with you already have this title. Click on the View in My Books link and then click on the ... at the end of the line to get the download option.

Easier just sign in on the Kobo home page and then My Account/My Books.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I clicked "view in my books", and went to here: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/library.
I can click on the book there and return.

What was not obvious to me, is that in my library, I need to press the 3 periods underneath the book in "My Books". I prefer something in English. That ellipsis is not obviously a link to what I was looking for. But it had the download option. It's interesting that the Kobo chat help did not know about it. I kept looking in menus for instructions in English.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I clicked "view in my books", and went to here: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/library.
I can click on the book there and return.

What was not obvious to me, is that in my library, I need to press the 3 periods underneath the book in "My Books". I prefer something in English. That ellipsis is not obviously a link to what I was looking for. But it had the download option. It's interesting that the Kobo chat help did not know about it. I kept looking in menus for instructions in English.
But the triple dot in either it's horizontal or vertical incarnations is intuitive! At least, that's what I was told when I asked on another site. I take it you are viewing your books as icons and not as a list.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Since I got a book downloaded, I bought another - but it is DRM protected and the OBOK add-on wouldn't decrypt it.