Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 12:27 AM   #16
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Just to stay on topic - this price is really a steal. And website said price is good until 12/20/17[/QUOTE]

Actually, it now looks like it's good till 12/25/17. Thank you OP, I would not have known about this and I'm taking the dive! I have some credit card points I can redeem for a BN gift certificate that will just cover this. I had a Sony 350 for years which I loved and a basic Kindle for a short time which I did not. I so miss page numbers (not "locations") for ALL books and the biggest additional draw here is the night mode. I'm often up in the middle of the night and this should be perfect for a quick read before slumbering back off. Also like going back to the option of touch or buttons (as I had with Sony). I assume I can download Nook books to my PC and transfer to Calibre as I do with Kindle and Kobo books? Shout out to mobileread -- the customer service and knowledge base of the employees at BN was not impressive, but everything I needed to know I found right here...including this great deal!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/coupons-deals
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #17
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It's a little more complicated with the Nook than it is with, say, Kobo, but you can download the books to your PC and transfer them to Calibre, yes. There's an app—appropriately named Nook for PC—that you can use. B&N discontinued it, so you'll have to find a download link elsewhere (I'm sure someone here can supply it).

Supposedly, the Windows Store Nook app will work for this purpose, as well, though when I tried it (years ago), it didn't.

And ... I ordered one. I'm not yet sure I'll keep it, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on the sale price if I did. As said before, it really is a steal at 25% off.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 03:03 AM   #18
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Interesting, thanks for the info. I trust sideloading books from Calibre that were bought from other stores on to the Nook doesn't present any unexpected issues?
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Supposedly, the Windows Store Nook app will work for this purpose, as well, though when I tried it (years ago), it didn't.
What problem did you have with it?

For me, the biggest problem was finding the folder the Windows Store Nook app stored the file in. That was a pain.

Now, admittedly, the book I downloaded was one I had purchased several years ago. But it was from a big 5 publisher, so I'm sure it has DRM. But I just downloaded with the Windows 10 Nook app a few months ago, imported in to Calibre and it worked for me.

I'd say try it again today and see what luck you have.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have an original Aura and a Glowlight Plus and I much prefer the Aura to the Glowlight Plus. Yes the Nook has a better screen but the screen on the Aura is just fine with me. And the Kobo has no capacative home button that sends me back to the home page as soon as I'm so absorbed in a book that I forget to avoid it, and I can read the dictionary entries.

Barry
In the Nook partitioning thread, there is word that B&N is (finally) going to fix the greyed out text. It is due in the 'next major release' which sounds like it will be after the release restoring the full partition.

I was outbid on my Glowlight Plus, so I'll likely keep my Aura. I do agree that the screen on the Aura is just fine. I have no complaints about my Aura. I'm partly just getting antsy for a new gadget. And the Glowlight 3 for $90 sure is tempting!

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-20-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #21
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What problem did you have with it?
When I tried it, I was able to locate the folder the books were stored in, but they weren't usable files that Calibre could recognize.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #22
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
When I tried it, I was able to locate the folder the books were stored in, but they weren't usable files that Calibre could recognize.
FWIW, on my Windows 8.1 Windows Nook app, it's in c:\Users\(my username)\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ ahnzqzva31enc\LocalState, although that suffix for the folder in Packages may differ for other people's computers. Most of the epubs will probably have B&N's encryption, in which case they are not usable by Calibre unless you use a tool or plugin to strip the DRM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #23
tiltowait
Zealot

After testing it just now, I can confirm it works. When I tried it several years ago, the downloaded files weren't even ePubs. Thanks. Now I don't have to fear Nook for PC no longer working.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
After testing it just now, I can confirm it works. When I tried it several years ago, the downloaded files weren't even ePubs. Thanks. Now I don't have to fear Nook for PC no longer working.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #25
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have it and the battery life seems good. Better than the oasis at least. Feels great in the hands
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #26
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Yep, I bought it today. You can have too many ereaders, but the lure remains. It holds just like my Simple Touch, so I'm totally going to enjoy that. It's my favorite ereader to hold, although the Kindle Keyboard is still my favorite ereader for a variety of reasons. But the K3 is heavy.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-21-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Fixed confusing sentence
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #27
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In the Nook partitioning thread, there is word that B&N is (finally) going to fix the greyed out text. It is due in the 'next major release' which sounds like it will be after the release restoring the full partition.

I was outbid on my Glowlight Plus, so I'll likely keep my Aura. I do agree that the screen on the Aura is just fine. I have no complaints about my Aura. I'm partly just getting antsy for a new gadget. And the Glowlight 3 for $90 sure is tempting!
Very good to know. I wonder if they'll fix the grey text on the Glowlight Plus as well? I don't think I'd be fond of it even so, given the capacative home button.

I don't know yet that I'll like the Glowlight 3 but if I do, and I kind of think I will, fixing the dictionary text could make me really glad I got it.

That's the next thread I plan to read so I'll find out more there.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Looks like the GlowLight went up in price ... but only by $10. (Now at $100 again.) Still there tempting ZodWallop.

... And me, a little, I'll have to admit.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Very good to know. I wonder if they'll fix the grey text on the Glowlight Plus as well? I don't think I'd be fond of it even so, given the capacative home button.

I don't know yet that I'll like the Glowlight 3 but if I do, and I kind of think I will, fixing the dictionary text could make me really glad I got it.

That's the next thread I plan to read so I'll find out more there.

Barry
Well, they updated the Glowlight Plus to run the same firmware as the Glowlight 3, so I would assume they will continue. (I've read about assumptions, but still.)
Old 12-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #30
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Yes -- Glowlight 3 went up to $99 but this appears to be an in-store price as well.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote