Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #2101
thaonphuong
thaonphuong began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader
Thanks knc1, my understanding is spoiler of section Will this jail break work on my current firmware?" is we can only jailbreak if FW < 5.8.7.0.1. So it is not possible for my case, FW 5.8.9.2?

Sorry if i am disturb you what you already wrote due to my poor understanding on this
thaonphuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #2102
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Correct, it is not possible.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #2103
rachaelcochlin
rachaelcochlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Question

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but how likely is it that a JB for 5.8.9.2 will be released shortly? I wiped my Oasis today before reading that it wasn't possible on that firmware. Thanks.
rachaelcochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #2104
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelcochlin View Post
Sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but how likely is it that a JB for 5.8.9.2 will be released shortly? I wiped my Oasis today before reading that it wasn't possible on that firmware. Thanks.
A long time, very likely never.

We no longer have the people with the required skills to develop one visiting here on a regular basis.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #2105
rachaelcochlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

We no longer have the people with the required skills to develop one visiting here on a regular basis.
Oh no! Is it possible to downgrade?
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #2106
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Quote:
Oh no! Is it possible to downgrade?
Is your background in electronics hardware pretty good?

Any touch screen Kindle can be downgraded and/or jail broken using the serial port:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

The only problem in your case, and the reason I asked that question, is that nobody has found where the serial port connections are on the Oasis model Kindle.

Last edited by knc1; 06-23-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #2107
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And he's talking about taking the Oasis apart to find said serial port connection. If the Oasis has one.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #2108
rachaelcochlin

I've stripped iPhones before and changed screens etc, so I would be pretty comfortable doing it. Just not sure I want to, given what I paid for it! Lol. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #2109
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I've stripped iPhones before and changed screens etc, so I would be pretty comfortable doing it. Just not sure I want to, given what I paid for it! Lol. Thanks for the info.
Understood.
Maybe when they start showing up in the "bargain bin" . . . .
Old 06-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #2110
MerdaFit
MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Brand new Voyage, 5.8.7.0.1 downgraded to factory, 5.5.0 without issue. Installed JB, got You are jailbroken document, installed hotfix. Before doing anything else I installed KUAL and tested the screensaver hack which worked perfectly. When I was ready to update the Kindle updated over WiFi to what I assume would be the newest firmware (5.8.9.2) I got the Repair Needed screen, Repair Code: 2. I guess I should have downloaded and installed this manually?

Anyway, now when I try to do anything, start the Kindle, connect to PC (Windows 10) it just bootloops. From what I've been able to search on the forums, I may not be completely bricked and the Kindle may still be jailbroken, but I would require some assistance or direction to a previous answer for this same problem. I'm pretty well versed in rooting Android phones and recovering them, but not here. I jailbroke a couple of Oasis' without any issue.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edit: Welp, nvm, I managed to get a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file on the usb storage. It wasn't showing up in My Computer, but I had to keep refreshing as the Kindle was trying to boot. It showed up long enough to get the file on there. As other people have noted, somehow it's now at 5.6.1.0.5 which doesn't seem possible, but I'll repeat the jailbreak process now!

Last edited by MerdaFit; 06-25-2017 at 04:47 PM.
MerdaFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #2111
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerdaFit View Post
Brand new Voyage, 5.8.7.0.1
Which is (naturally) a "customer" firmware build.
Quote:
downgraded to factory, 5.5.0 without issue.
Which is a firmware build intended only for production line testing.
Quote:
Installed JB, got You are jailbroken document, installed hotfix.
And you are still running a non-customer firmware build.
Quote:
Before doing anything else I installed KUAL and tested the screensaver hack which worked perfectly.
Is there any particular reason you decided to make up your own directions at this point rather than complete following the ones already written?

You installed those add-ins to the factory, production line testing, firmware build.
None of our add-ins where ever intended to be installed in a non-customer firmware build.
Quote:
When I was ready to update the Kindle updated over WiFi to what I assume would be the newest firmware (5.8.9.2)
You where trying to convert the Kindle from the factory development system to a customer system while the factory system was modified by two of our add-ins.
Quote:
I got the Repair Needed screen, Repair Code: 2.
You had not yet completed the directions for installing this jailbreak.
For what reason did you expect anything other than failure?
Quote:
I guess I should have downloaded and installed this manually?
I guess you should have followed ALL of the directions, in order.
If what you did to the Kindle after Step #6 did not matter, then there would have been no reason for me to have written Steps #7 and #8 is there?
Quote:
Anyway, now when I try to do anything, start the Kindle, connect to PC (Windows 10) it just bootloops. From what I've been able to search on the forums, I may not be completely bricked and the Kindle may still be jailbroken, but I would require some assistance or direction to a previous answer for this same problem. I'm pretty well versed in rooting Android phones and recovering them, but not here. I jailbroke a couple of Oasis' without any issue.
You now get to follow these directions up to the point where you have a working serial port connection:

When you get the serial port connection working -
Interrupt the auto-startup sequence at the u-boot stage (you'll see a "press any key" message) -
Boot the system to the 'diags' system -
Clear the restart counter in the 'main' system -
reboot.

It should reboot to the 'main' system and work.

= = = = =

There was another post/thread or two here by other people who had the device boot-loop on them.
I don't think their situation was the same as yours, I think they had Rescue Pack installed.

But search for fairly recent posts with the text "boot loop" or "bootloop" or "boot-loop" in them and read over the situation description and how that person fixed it.

Last edited by knc1; 06-25-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #2112
MerdaFit
MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
You where trying to convert the Kindle from the factory development system to a customer system while the factory system was modified by two of our add-ins.
Ah, this makes perfect sense. Thanks
Quote:
I guess you should have followed ALL of the directions, in order.
If what you did to the Kindle after Step #6 did not matter, then there would have been no reason for me to have written Steps #7 and #8 is there?
To be fair the instructions at #7 say, "You can now update your kindle to a newer firmware version" not you must, but your point is well taken, in context of the instructions there's no reason to assume it's optional, my mistake.
Quote:
You now get to follow these directions:
And I do mean **follow** the directions, do not make up your own modifications to the directions.
Fortunately, I was able to get a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file onto the device, which for some reason put me at 5.6.1.0.5 and I was able to repeat the entire jailbreak process this time. Up and running jailbroken on 5.8.9.2

I do want to thank you. I know people are usually spending their spare time on this sort of tinkering for no other reason/reward than they enjoy it. No matter how little you probably hear it amid troubleshooting for people, your time and the work is appreciated.

Last edited by MerdaFit; 06-25-2017 at 05:54 PM.
MerdaFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #2113
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Fortunately, I was able to get a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file onto the device, which for some reason put me at 5.6.1.0.5 and I was able to repeat the entire jailbreak process this time. Up and running jailbroken on 5.8.9.2
- - - -
Now that sounds familar, if only because of the strange version number.
If you found where the other person(s) reported that as a way to get a modern device out of a boot loop from the jail break process -
Please add it to the master index so it does not get lost again (meaning: forgotten by myself).

= = = =

That "can update" has been misread by others also.
Where "can update" is meant as: "it is now possible to update"
Not meant as: "optionally update" which in formal English should be written: "may update".
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/can-or-may

And the work 'update' is misleading also.
The thing which needs to be done is install a consumer use firmware release, of any allowable version.
The 'update' is in there because that is the label Amazon put on the button.

Those instructions are ten days away from their first year anniversary.
So they should be approaching the end of their useful life RSN.

Last edited by knc1; 06-25-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #2114
tagnaw
tagnaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi and thanks for your help over the years. I have a PW3 (G090 G10...)
A few months back I installed 5.7.4 firmware, jailbreak, and hotfix, updated firmware to 5.8.7, and installed MrPI, kual, and usb network/fonts/python/screensavers hack. Also put empty update.bin.temp.partial in root directory.
I was mostly interested in screensavers cover mode but never got it to work for kfx. Now cover mode doesn't work for any books, battery use seems high, and I'm not getting all my new books from Amazon (seems random).

I'd like to go back to firmware 5.7.4 and start over. Maybe stay at 5.7.4 and see how it works.

Any suggestions? The first step on downgrading to 5.7.4 is push reset. That looks like catch 22. Am I stuck with 5.8.7 (or newer)?
tagnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #2115
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagnaw View Post
Hi and thanks for your help over the years. I have a PW3 (G090 G10...)
A few months back I installed 5.7.4 firmware, jailbreak, and hotfix, updated firmware to 5.8.7, and installed MrPI, kual, and usb network/fonts/python/screensavers hack. Also put empty update.bin.temp.partial in root directory.
I was mostly interested in screensavers cover mode but never got it to work for kfx. Now cover mode doesn't work for any books, battery use seems high, and I'm not getting all my new books from Amazon (seems random).

I'd like to go back to firmware 5.7.4 and start over. Maybe stay at 5.7.4 and see how it works.

Any suggestions? The first step on downgrading to 5.7.4 is push reset. That looks like catch 22. Am I stuck with 5.8.7 (or newer)?
5.8.7 may still be jail broken.
Once you install the factory use only firmware build - you can (later in the process) choose any of the firmware versions listed in the Step #7 spoiler.

But it seems more likely you are missing two points, one:
Quote:
If jailbroken on an earlier firmware version, the jailbreak is known to survive the update to either 5.8.8, 5.8.9 or 5.8.9.2.
It should survive an update to any firmware version. It is designed to be viral.
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
What does that mean?
It means if it seems to be broken, re-install it.

The other point your missing is that the 'cover mode' was only fixed very recently (three weeks ago) and you probably have not yet added the corrected file to your installation (**after** you re-install the ss add-in of course).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2516

Last edited by knc1; 06-25-2017 at 06:29 PM.