Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Which ebook reader is best for someone in Germany?

My uncle wants to buy an ebook reader, and he's not too tech savvy. I only have experience with the Kindle Paperwhite. He'd like something with backlight too.

<€100 would be great, and he wants it for Christmas so I'm looking for any info on when discounts happen. I know Amazon.de has semi-regular discounts for the Paperwhite which puts it at €80, and he'd have no problem waiting for that.

I'm mainly asking because of store experiences and book prices. Which way is the most affordable way to get ebooks in Germany? Which stores have the most affordable selections? I found ebook.de and ebooks.de, but my research is stunted because I don't speak German and tbh not knowledgable about the market prices for ebooks. I see tolino advertised on ebook.de

Does Germany have ebook library borrowing, that might only have epubs or mobi books? As I said, not tech savvy, so we're not looking into conversions.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by newkindlefun; 03-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Well, if Germany does have ebook library loans (and I can't think of why they wouldn't, almost everywhere else does) it won't have Kindle support. Only the US has Kindle library loans.

I know Kobo has support (through Adobe Digital Editions) for library loans almost anywhere. Not sure about other models like the Onyx line.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I take it that your uncle is in Germany? What languages does he read books in? If he reads English then ebooks are available from sources such as Smashwords which also has ebooks in other languages too, though much more limited selection. Mobileread Forums has a large selection of public domain books in multiple languages, including German.

If I were in Germany I would check with a favorite bookstore as I believe most German book stores support ebook readers. What does his local bookstore recommend and support?

Hard to beat the Amazon Kindles for convenient ebook purchases unless the uncle wants to borrow library books in Germany in which case he probably needs a epub files compatible reader. Again talk to the local library and local German bookstore.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I take it that your uncle is in Germany? What languages does he read books in? If he reads English then ebooks are available from sources such as Smashwords which also has ebooks in other languages too, though much more limited selection. Mobileread Forums has a large selection of public domain books in multiple languages, including German.

If I were in Germany I would check with a favorite bookstore as I believe most German book stores support ebook readers. What does his local bookstore recommend and support?

Hard to beat the Amazon Kindles for convenient ebook purchases unless the uncle wants to borrow library books in Germany in which case he probably needs a epub files compatible reader. Again talk to the local library and local German bookstore.
We have a great selection of free German eBooks in out E-Books section to download. The Tolino brand is specific to Germany. See out wiki for Tolino epos and the wiki page Tolino Shine compares several models. They all support Library checkout and German stores.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Well, if Germany does have ebook library loans (and I can't think of why they wouldn't, almost everywhere else does) it won't have Kindle support. Only the US has Kindle library loans.

I know Kobo has support (through Adobe Digital Editions) for library loans almost anywhere. Not sure about other models like the Onyx line.
Thanks, that's very useful information. I use Overdrive loans on my Kindle so often, too bad it's not available elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post

He doesn't read in English, just German (and Croatian). I'll tell him it's good if he asks at his local libraries. He mostly reads romance and thrillers so, I don't know how much public domanin would help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
We have a great selection of free German eBooks in out E-Books section to download. The Tolino brand is specific to Germany. See out wiki for Tolino epos and the wiki page Tolino Shine compares several models. They all support Library checkout and German stores.

Dale
Thanks. He reads mostly romance and thrillers so I was thinking Kindle Unlimited might be good for him, but I think a different reader would be better if his library has enough ebooks to bother.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
Klecks
Enthusiast
Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kobo H2O, PocketBook Touch HD, Tolino Vision 4
About eBook prices in Germany:
For books in German language we have fixed book prices. It doesn’t matter where you buy a book - the price is always the same.

About library loans:
German library (Onleihe) lends epub books only.

Additional infos about Tolino readers:
They are bound to one shop of the Tolino alliance. The reader will be connected via Tolino cloud to this shop. But the cloud also can be connected to additional other shops of the Tolino alliance. So: every book bought from one of the cloud-connected shops will be automatically in the cloud and easily can be loaded to the reader.
The cloud works via wlan. Updates for the Tolinos are distributed the same way.
Epub eBooks in German language nowadays mostly are sold without hard DRM (no DRM or social DRM (watermark)), so epub books bought from other shops outside the Tolino alliance mostly easily can be sideloaded to the Tolino reader.
Technically the Tolinos are easily to handle. They don’t allow much tinkering around – perfect if someone is not tech savvy.
If your uncle needs more information or help: there are German forums about Tolino readers, for example:
https://www.e-reader-forum.de/ebook-...oard70-tolino/

Kindle readers:
No difference to other countries, except the fixed book price and no support for library loans (Onleihe).

eBook Shops:
ebook.de is one of the shops I buy most of my books from. Other shops of the Tolino alliance are: hugendubel.de, osiander.de, thalia.de. Hugendubel, Osiander and Thalia have establishments in various Cities in Germany. Maybe your uncle wants to visit one of these shops; most of them display Tolinos and the employees – hopefully – can answer questions.

Klecks
Klecks is offline   Reply With Quote