Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
You know what's odd about Mobile read?

There is no formal place for book reviews by users. When I find a book I really like, I tend to write a book review, and stick it in recommendations. But it seems to me, not a particularly good place for a negative review, so I have been reluctant to go negative.

I've encountered a few books that people SHOULD be warned about!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Umm, I wouldn't look for reviews here - I don't see Mobile Read as go-to a review forum for books - reviews for ereaders and apps, yes. My reviews are posted on The Gaming Tavern and LibraryThing, with occasional forays onto Amazon for LT Early Reviewers titles.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I certainly see no issue with posting negative reviews in Reading Recs. If I read a book and don't enjoy it, I certainly say so in the "What am I currently reading?" sticky thread in that forum. "Recommendations" to me would encompass both positive and negative opinions - I can recommend that someone not read a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have written reviews of a sort, but usually as an overview; eg about Elmore Leonard, or when a question was raised about very early Clive Cussler, which spring immediately to mind.

Perhaps the forum on what we are reading now might come close to the right place.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Perhaps the forum on what we are reading now might come close to the right place.
No, "Reading Recs" is where book reviews belong, not here.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, are we talking full blown book reviews? Most of the Reading Recs seem to be more, short blurb, I like or don't like this author or book.

Why not start up a thread called "Book Reviews" in reading rec and see if it takes off. It can always get moved later if need be.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, are we talking full blown book reviews? Most of the Reading Recs seem to be more, short blurb, I like or don't like this author or book.

Why not start up a thread called "Book Reviews" in reading rec and see if it takes off. It can always get moved later if need be.
So far, my 'reviews' have been more of a 6th grade 'Book Report', where I try to pique people's interests. But I'd be willing to step up my game a bit, just in an effort to not look TOO foolish.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds like an excellent idea, Glen. Please do!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds like an excellent idea, Glen. Please do!
Uhh, do you mean trying not to look foolish? Or stepping up my game?

It might be too late for the former, and impossible for the latter!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Both .
Old 03-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
There is no formal place for book reviews by users. When I find a book I really like, I tend to write a book review, and stick it in recommendations. But it seems to me, not a particularly good place for a negative review, so I have been reluctant to go negative.

I've encountered a few books that people SHOULD be warned about!
Like the "Southern Reach" series? What a terrible slog of dull prose describing a glacially-moving plot!
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Glen I think you've just been volunteered. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Glen I think you've just been volunteered. lol.
Well, I've been doing my little book reports all along! Nothing will change all that much for me. I just get to go negative when I feel like it, and get all 'THINKY' on you guys when I have a 'thinky' thought.

DAMN! I just thought of one negative for me. In order to write a negative review of a stinker, I've got to finish that stinker, not just move on to something else! Never mind!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 03-09-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Well, I've been doing my little book reports all along! Nothing will change all that much for me. I just get to go negative when I feel like it, and get all 'THINKY' on you guys when I have a 'thinky' thought.

DAMN! I just thought of one negative for me. In order to write a negative review of a stinker, I've got to finish that stinker, not just move on to something else! Never mind!
If a book is so bad you can't finish it you could report that and say what you thought was so bad about the part you read. Maybe you can save some poor unsuspecting Mobileread members from starting to read a really terrible book!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If it's that much of a stinker, just report that it was a stinker and you did not manage to get past the first xx chapters. Some poor soul who is looking at the glowing reviews might be saved.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote