Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #31
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Thanks all.

Yes, I did indeed let the PRS-500 sit around for a good long while without a charge.

And I certainly noticed the low contrast of the screen compared to modern phones.

Would love to see a new color e-ink reader when/if they come out.

Figured that I would have a nice device to catch up on some reading this winter.

I will let everyone know how that plays out.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #32
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Still using my 505 that I bought back in March of 2008. I use it everyday and it still preforms like a champ. I did buy a refurbished T2, as a reserve some time ago but it's still in the box, I do update and check it's charge when I update the 505.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
Still using my 505 that I bought back in March of 2008. I use it everyday and it still preforms like a champ. I did buy a refurbished T2, as a reserve some time ago but it's still in the box, I do update and check it's charge when I update the 505.
(IMHO), you'd be best to put the 505 in the box as a spare and use the T2. The T2 at least can do justified with ADE even though it cannot do hyphenation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
And I certainly noticed the low contrast of the screen compared to modern phones.
This is eInk. You cannot compare to an LCD screen on a phone. Compared to current eInk Readers that use a Carta screen, the 500 will look very dark and muddy,

Quote:
Would love to see a new color e-ink reader when/if they come out.
Color has come out. But it's using a filter that lowers the resolution and the colors are a bit washed out. Forget waiting for color. Just get a good Reader with a Carta screen and I think you'll be happy. If you are in the US, your easiest to get choices are Amazon, B&N, or Kobo. Personally, I'd forget B&N.

If you want waterproof and/or ePub, go with Kobo. If you don't want either, then you can also look at the Kindles (don't bother with the Oasis (overpriced and not well designed)).
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #35
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
You know what is funny? I was just thinking about my old 500 today. I have been using my T3 for a few years now. Over the holidays maybe I will pull out the 500, give it a good charge and play with it. I also still have the 650 which weighs a ton, and I remember if I was reading in bed not to hold it over my face because if my grip slipped it hurt when it would land on my nose.

I don't download Kobo books on the T3 much and I kind of miss the old Sony Reader Store, but dang Sony, you do have long-lived reading devices.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

If you want waterproof and/or ePub, go with Kobo.
I think someone who wants waterproofing should consider seriously the Nook Glowlight Plus. It's much cheaper than the Kobo options and has a higher resolution than the H2O (and the non-waterproof Aura Two, Kobo's 6"option.)
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think someone who wants waterproofing should consider seriously the Nook Glowlight Plus. It's much cheaper than the Kobo options and has a higher resolution than the H2O (and the non-waterproof Aura Two, Kobo's 6"option.)
The nook uses MTP. That means it doesn't show up on the computer as a removable drive. For a lot of people, this could be an issue if they don't use Calibre and want to side load. Has B&N fixed the awful UI the previous nooks used?
Old 02-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #38
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i've noticed lately that on my PRS-500, the screen is very hard to read now due to residual e-ink from a previous page appearing on the current page. it wasn't great before, but at least it was readable. now, e-ink from the previous page is coming through dark enough to prevent the text from the current page to show clearly. the temperature in socal has been lower than normal lately, so i was wnodering if the lower temperature could be a factor in the sub-par screen refresh behavior.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i've noticed lately that on my PRS-500, the screen is very hard to read now due to residual e-ink from a previous page appearing on the current page. it wasn't great before, but at least it was readable. now, e-ink from the previous page is coming through dark enough to prevent the text from the current page to show clearly. the temperature in socal has been lower than normal lately, so i was wnodering if the lower temperature could be a factor in the sub-par screen refresh behavior.
Why are you using your 500 when you have better Readers available? The 500 screen is awful compared to newer screens. The 500 is very slow and unless you've already sent it to Sony, it won't handle ePub. Plus, even if it did handle ePub, the version of ADE would be rather old. I don't recommend the 500 to anyone anymore.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #40
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you using your 500 when you have better Readers available? The 500 screen is awful compared to newer screens. The 500 is very slow and unless you've already sent it to Sony, it won't handle ePub. Plus, even if it did handle ePub, the version of ADE would be rather old. I don't recommend the 500 to anyone anymore.
not actually using it. i do have better devices. i just want to keep the 500 because it's the first one i got way back when and it's also the first commercially released e-book reader in the u.s. basically, i want to keep it for historical purposes. and it has been updated to read epubs. i also changed out the battery. and despite the fact that i don't actually use it, i want it fully functioning as it was intended to function when it was released.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
not actually using it. i do have better devices. i just want to keep the 500 because it's the first one i got way back when and it's also the first commercially released e-book reader in the u.s. basically, i want to keep it for historical purposes. and it has been updated to read epubs. i also changed out the battery. and despite the fact that i don't actually use it, i want it fully functioning as it was intended to function when it was released.
Given that it's the first generation eInk screen, I would not be surprised that screen is having issues after so long.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #42
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was temperature related. Who knows how the gel in the pixels behaves as it gets colder.

My 505 screen still looks as good as new (used indoors), so I'm not sure if the age is a factor.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote