Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #46
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My freinds agreed to let me try her address, so I will add it to my UK account as an additional address, then change my address in 'Manage your Kindle' to that address and go into the US store, sign in and see what happens.

If it works, and the books are i-clickable, is it best to download to my PC and then take a back up? Will they show in my kindle account on Amazon UK?

Also, if I immediatly change my address back to the UK will Amazon pick that up as suspicious, or am I best to wait a few weeks and then change it back, make it look like i have been in the US for a few weeks. I don't plan to buy any more books for a while anyway so waiting a few weeks won't be an issue
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I tried tonight and apart from a few hicups like my bank blocking my transactions half way through! I managed to get 7 books. I want 3 more so have transferred my account back to the UK now and will try for the rest in a week or so.

I have taken a backup copy and they are on both my Kindle and my iphone.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #48
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

I have taken a backup copy and they are on both my Kindle and my iphone.
I suggest you also copy the books from the documents folder of your Kindle to your computer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #49
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I suggest you also copy the books from the documents folder of your Kindle to your computer.
Thank you, yes I will do that straight away and keep a copy in Calibre
Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to get a US Amazon account is to live in the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #51
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Gosh, that sounds easier than doing all this. And I get a green card....how? Lottery?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #52
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for that informative comment Jon, it is much appreciated!

All I want is a few books by my favourite authors, books I already have in paperback. It's not like I am planning to rob the federal reserve!

I am fed up with regional variations, if a book is published and both the author and the publisher want to sell it then it should be available anywhere

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-14-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Now, that's something I wouldn't have thought of myself!

You'll deliver me the green card, a job and a house there?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #54
las^se
las^se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - WiFi
Jetcarrier worked splendid for me. Got myself a US address I can clearly see that many books are cheaper in the US than in Europe, but why?

My theory is that the wispernet costs are higher in Europe, and each book needs to be more expensive to cover the extra expence. I don't like this when I only have the wi-fi Kindle.
las^se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #55
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Nice, was grabbing a bunch of free books off my US account and got this:

please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase.
You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.
Are you traveling outside your country?
Please contact customer service in order to continue purchasing Kindle items.

LOL
Just to update.

So I have a amazon.com account with a US address but a UK credit card. Attached only to Kindle for PC on a UK IP.

I then went back to amazon.com via a US proxy and it allowed me to start "purchasing" again (although I only tried with a few more free ebooks), and was absolutely fine, and the fact my kindle for PC is still UK Ip, doesn't seem to be an issue.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Now, that's something I wouldn't have thought of myself!

You'll deliver me the green card, a job and a house there?
Only if you can afford to pay for it all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #57
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Only if you can afford to pay for it all.
Then it's not the best way...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #58
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Just to update.

So I have a amazon.com account with a US address but a UK credit card. Attached only to Kindle for PC on a UK IP.

I then went back to amazon.com via a US proxy and it allowed me to start "purchasing" again (although I only tried with a few more free ebooks), and was absolutely fine, and the fact my kindle for PC is still UK Ip, doesn't seem to be an issue.
You don't need a proxy for Amazon. Neither on your PC, nor on your Kindle.
B&N on the other hand checks IPs.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 AM   #59
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My freinds agreed to let me try her address, so I will add it to my UK account as an additional address, then change my address in 'Manage your Kindle' to that address and go into the US store, sign in and see what happens.

If it works, and the books are i-clickable, is it best to download to my PC and then take a back up? Will they show in my kindle account on Amazon UK?

Also, if I immediatly change my address back to the UK will Amazon pick that up as suspicious, or am I best to wait a few weeks and then change it back, make it look like i have been in the US for a few weeks. I don't plan to buy any more books for a while anyway so waiting a few weeks won't be an issue
You can switch back and forth between various addresses in an instance.
They're totally aware of that. You could buy via proxy from their website, but 10 minutes later they could locate your reader's location being in Europe...
Obviously, they're position is: "Customer claims US residency. We've done our part".
And this kind of makes sense. Imagine US customers being on a trip and suddenly not being able to access their US account. If you introduce "global wireless", you have to go global...

Similar with Apple. Of course they easily could check, that my AppleTV has a German IP. But still I'm buying via US gift cards...

Money doesn't stink...
Old 09-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #60
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by las^se View Post
Jetcarrier worked splendid for me. Got myself a US address I can clearly see that many books are cheaper in the US than in Europe, but why?

My theory is that the wispernet costs are higher in Europe, and each book needs to be more expensive to cover the extra expence. I don't like this when I only have the wi-fi Kindle.
Whispernet may be a convenient excuse.
But actually, the US are cheaper for almost all products. Compare prices for cars, for electronics, for video games...
I've got 2 theories:
a.) The US market is as big as the EU, but it's way more homogenous. Manufacturers and providers don't have to care about dozens of carriers, laws and other issues like that. Basically, they only have to consider the different VATs. More attractive/bigger market = more aggressive prices.
b.) Average income in the US is below EU standards and many Asian countries. Companies always track the price range that's acceptable for a market.