Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
Did I get Windows 7 for free after buying a Vista Machine ? No, so why accuse Apple of doing something wrong ??
I agree. I don't see why there is any outrage here. Even getting the first major version upgrade free is a nice perk. Although, I expect it was the originally planned release version and they couldn't finish it in time.

On issue I had with Apple is that when I bought my iMac it came with Leopard and iLife. Yet, the upgrade to Snow Leopard (even though only $30) did not include the new version of iLife. I thought that was a little Nickel and Dime stunt.

However, I have to say... while an Apple machine might a bit cost more than an equivalent PC (I mean truly equivalent) the software you can get for a Mac is usually much better than similar stuff for a PC and is a lot cheaper. (See OmniGraffel vs Visio or Adobe Acrobat vs PDF Pen although Fox It editor is the same price as PDF Pen Pro... but I haven't compared them.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Given that the ipad doesn't have a required data contract to go with it, the logical way to look at it is that its simply being treated in the same way as the ipod touch and that the one major update is only going to happen because they originally intended to launch with 4.0.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I'm shocked Apple wants me to pay for an OS upgrade! What are they thinking, this is totally unusual and unacceptable in the computer industry!
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
cbone
Enthusiast
cbone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Android phone, waiting for my Kno
Apple charging for "upgrades" (read updates) is a rip. If Microsoft started charging for their service packs, lawsuits would be waist deep. That's pitiful that apple is 10X worse than MS with nickel and diming people and only gets a tiny fraction of the crap.

What's sadder is people defending them like apple is giving the hookup.
cbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbone View Post
Apple charging for "upgrades" (read updates) is a rip. If Microsoft started charging for their service packs, lawsuits would be waist deep.
Ok... Apple is not charging for "updates" which would be equivalent to service packs. They are charging for MAJOR upgrades... going from 4.x to 5.x for example.

Let's keep it real here folks. Especially since this is all speculation based on some comment in a beta version of the SDK.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert