Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #121
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Is it possible to see which kind it is before buying a book?

I was told that if you look at the specs and it lists number of pages (instead of file size) then it is azw ... and that has proven true for the few I've bought.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #122
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Is it possible to see which kind it is before buying a book?
Generally (don't know if it's true 100%) an AZW will list file size and a TOPAZ will not.

You can also download the sample and check that way.

I made a mistake once of buying a Topaz book and Amazon had no problem letting me return it for a refund (within 7 days IIRC).

Example Topaz: http://www.amazon.com/Flashforward-e...3721853&sr=1-1

Example AZW: http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Forward-...CE/ref=ed_oe_k
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #123
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Generally (don't know if it's true 100%) an AZW will list file size and a TOPAZ will not.
Thanks to both of you for the replies. Good to know although I try to stay away from DRM.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #124
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

You can also download the sample and check that way.

I made a mistake once of buying a Topaz book and Amazon had no problem letting me return it for a refund (within 7 days IIRC).

Example Topaz: http://www.amazon.com/Flashforward-e...3721853&sr=1-1

Example AZW: http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Forward-...CE/ref=ed_oe_k
Hmmm, I probably have that wrong since both of those have pages but only the tpz has file size. It was probably the file size I was think of instead. Sorry for the confusion!

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/No-Country-Old...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

which I just bought shows a file size, but it is still azw so I'm not sure how to tell otherwise, maybe the sample download to see the file type.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-22-2009 at 12:28 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #125
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Topaz books generally don't show a file size, only page numbers (Topaz books are very large in comparison to mobi/azw). Now that Amazon has enabled the downloading of samples to the computer, it's very easy to check the format.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #126
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Looks like it's my turn now not to be able to acces the wireless network. It hasn't worked at all the last couple of hours. It would be interesting to see how well it works over time. It would certainly affect sales if this was a common experience.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #127
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Mine just arrived here in Japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Does your copied message then mean that users outside the US are charged $1.99 on top of the cover price loading of $2.00, making a title outside the US about $4.00 (perhaps 40%) more expensive? If so, I think those considering Kindle international might do well to think twice.
While waiting for my Kindle to arrive I've been sending all my books to my iPod touch running the Kindle app, intending to transfer them via USB to the Kindle. After buying a few books it occurred to me that I could set my address to my home address in the US, since I've occasionally shipped packages there.

But I bought one book off of the Japan store with the target device popup still pointing at the Kindle...sure enough, when the Kindle actually arrived there was that book sitting on it, and since it was now registered to a US address and I was in Japan, sitting in my inbox was a receipt for the $1.99 Whispernet charge. The higher price and the international roaming charge, all at once!

I certainly don't intend to game their system to get Whispernet for free by flipping address back and forth or anything -- I think they've done a herculean job just getting (mostly) planet-wide Whispernet functioning at all. But barring any more clumsy 1-clicks, I'll just avoid using Whispernet for anything but book samples and web browsing from here out.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #128
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
But I bought one book off of the Japan store with the target device popup still pointing at the Kindle...sure enough, when the Kindle actually arrived there was that book sitting on it, and since it was now registered to a US address and I was in Japan, sitting in my inbox was a receipt for the $1.99 Whispernet charge. The higher price and the international roaming charge, all at once!
I bought a free public domain text that I never intended to read about a week ago and when I turned on my Kindle I got billed $1.99 for the transfer. I wonder if they refund the $1.99 if you return it? I doubt it, and for $2 it's not worth the trouble to find out.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #129
parsi
parsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Looks like it's my turn now not to be able to acces the wireless network. It hasn't worked at all the last couple of hours. It would be interesting to see how well it works over time. It would certainly affect sales if this was a common experience.
I was having that problem a lot yesterday and it seemed to be because it was flitting between 3G and GPRS. I did see that whilst it often couldn't browse the shop it could still go to Wikipedia...
parsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #130
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Good to know. Got my Kindle today and had the same experience. Wasn't sure if this was due to the location of the place where I live.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #131
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
New to posting on this forum, but have been reading a while.

Received the kindle (in Australia) yesterday and merrily plugged it into a USB charger (similar to the iphone USB charger). The orange light turned on, and thought, beauty, will check on it this morning.

Except, same orange light and no green one. After 12 hours charging and no use! Removed the charger and the battery indicator still showed as charging. Plugged it into my laptop - still not charging!

So, I rang the help line. Amazon kindle were able to access all my charging logs from the night before (talk about big brother is watching) and they are investigating to see what the problem is. But it seems as though some of you have had the same problems? The keys were also very very slow and sometime required two or three clicks to turn the page.

I think it is now charging from a different laptop - very annoying as it is not my laptop that it works with! And it wont charge from the power charger.

I am also disappointed with the Australian books available. And the search engine is pretty basic too. I found a lot of great books, but then when I tried to buy them, they must have been from the US store. Sigh.

So a question - to do this 'hard restart' I simply hold the power on/off switch for ~30 seconds before releasing it?

Last edited by Pushka; 10-24-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #132
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Yes, I think the message to International Kindle owners has to be: don't expect generic "USB chargers" to work with the Kindle - some may, but a lot of people are reporting the same issues and I have experienced them myself. see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59692

I've also noticed that the Kindle is picking up a very weak wireless signal here - often just 1-2 bars, even though there should be full 3G coverage in our part of Luxembourg.

Apart from these 2 issues, my Kindle works just fine for reading.
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #133
JamesJoe
JamesJoe began at the beginning.

Device: None
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Good to know. Got my Kindle today and had the same experience. Wasn't sure if this was due to the location of the place where I live.

I'm waiting for mine right now, can't wait to test it out!!!

Last edited by JamesJoe; 10-25-2009 at 01:06 AM.
JamesJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #134
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
So, after charging via Laptop (but not my own laptop!) it is now fully into action. So easy to download books - super quick! Usually 4 or 5 bars of good wireless for me, but not always 3G! It doesnt matter, it is super quick. But I do get the error message that browsing isnt available to international kindles.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #135
hank56
hank56 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Luckily I haven't had any charging problems with my newly delivered Kindle. I'm wondering if anyone knows about any generic power cords available here in Australia to use besides the supplied USB cord?

My main gripe is the narrow range of books available through Amazon here in Australia. I wonder when/if there will be a deal done with local publishers on ebooks?

Amazingly easy to access what is there via Whispernet but i don't just want to use 21st century technology to access 19th century classics.
hank56 is offline   Reply With Quote