Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #136
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Another useful discussion on the USB charger issue:
http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...x3F49GKK2BEFK4

It would be really helpful if readers of this forum could identify some USB wall chargers which do work with the Kindle 2. I'm OK with using the charger supplied by Amazon - we keep lots of adaptors at home because we travel a lot - but I would like to have a backup wall charger, preferably one which can also be used to charge other gadgets using USB-type power.
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #137
Sheepless
Sheepless began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Seems like clock is set to GMT (UTC) - it's two hours late for me. Pehaps it can be adjusted, I haven't found the setting yet.
UK DST ended last night, and my K2 is now right, at least until next March.

Here's something to try: with wireless on, go to the settings screen and type 611. You should get a whole bunch (5 pages) of diagnostic information, most of which will only make sense to Amazon's engineers. Under the 'network' section, there are two entries of interest here: time, and local time offset. In my case, these are '0000/00/00 00:00:00' and 'not provided', respectively. So perhaps Amazon set the K2 to UTC time before shipping and rely on the network to adjust this, but some networks choose not to supply time information.

At least I now know what network I'm on. Look at the 'MCC MNC' line, then go to the 'mobile network code' page on Wikipedia. I'm on O2, so why does my phone (also O2) get flawless 3G coverage, while my K2 doesn't? I also know my SIM's phone number! Though it's in US area code 500, which I thought was discontinued (I certainly can't dial it. Yes, of course I tried calling my K2 to see what happens, being a geek).

Typing 311 from the settings page allows you to switch networks. I'm not going to try this, in case I'm permanently locked out!
Sheepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #138
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Has anyone had to "repay" tax fees at delivery? If yes, who was the carrier ? I have heard of that problem with DHL, has it happened with any other carrier ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #139
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Has anyone had to "repay" tax fees at delivery? If yes, who was the carrier ? I have heard of that problem with DHL, has it happened with any other carrier ?
Yes, and it was DHL. I've contacted Amazon and they are looking into it. I ended up paying a total of (the equivalent of) about 35 USD more than the 85 USD I paid Amazon in import fees deposit. It seems to be mainly the fee, that DHL claims, that makes it higher. I think Amazon only counted the duty and VAT - the amount of 85 USD fits roughly with 25% VAT.

Right now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Amazon will at least re-imburse me the deposit. Had all payment gone though Amazon they would have paid what the deposit didn't cover. They don't take any responsibility for any extra fees etc., so I can only claim my initial deposit back.

&
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #140
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenlux View Post

It would be really helpful if readers of this forum could identify some USB wall chargers which do work with the Kindle 2. I'm OK with using the charger supplied by Amazon -
So they sent a charger with your kindle, but not those sent to Australia! All we got was the stupid cable!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #141
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I got a charger in the UK, too. It's a very small charger, with US pins. Luckily a simple shaver adapter works with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
So they sent a charger with your kindle, but not those sent to Australia! All we got was the stupid cable!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #142
parsi
parsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenlux View Post

It would be really helpful if readers of this forum could identify some USB wall chargers which do work with the Kindle 2. I'm OK with using the charger supplied by Amazon - we keep lots of adaptors at home because we travel a lot - but I would like to have a backup wall charger, preferably one which can also be used to charge other gadgets using USB-type power.
I've used a normal blackberry charger (the odler one taht has a usb port) with the kindle cable and it worked fine.
parsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #143
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
What could be the logic in not shipping the AC adaptor to customers in Australia? I just don't comprehend that.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #144
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
What could be the logic in not shipping the AC adaptor to customers in Australia? I just don't comprehend that.
Probably nothing to do with logic or business, but likely some law or certification regarding the adapter.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #145
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Or they simply forgot to put it back into the box. Each Kindle usually is at least once removed from the package to personalize the device. So the charger just may have fallen out of the box.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #146
toholio
toholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, BeBook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Or they simply forgot to put it back into the box. Each Kindle usually is at least once removed from the package to personalize the device. So the charger just may have fallen out of the box.
I can't tell if that's a joke or not. I think it is...

Anyway, for people who were wondering, Kindles are not removed from their boxes for personalisation. They arrive unpersonalised but will set their name and other options once connected to Whispernet.

The chargers didn't fall out or get missed when packing. The box even has a different bar-code with a note specifying it's the version without a charger.

Last edited by toholio; 10-27-2009 at 02:06 AM.
toholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #147
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Kindles sent to Australia didn't have the wall charger, and while many Australian USB wall chargers wont work, the Digitor travel USB does, and someone else mentioned the Blackberry one. The iphone charger wont work (it seizes the kindle up) but the Digitor usb charger will also charge the iphone. So at least now we have some options other than the Laptop to charge the kindle.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #148
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
On its way!

I've finally made up my mind and I've ordered the Kindle Int (25th Oct., it will arrive tomorrow). Let's see how it works here in Spain. I've paid around 46$ for deposit fee, I hope I don't have to pay anything else on its arrival. The carrier it's UPS according to the Order page on Amazon.

I think Amazon rushed a bit this International launch, but with time things will settle down. There's been a rumour that this year or early 2010 they will at last open a Amazon.es. I don't know if this will happen, but I can imagine that they will create, at least, a non-US centralized Kindle store for European countries.

Last edited by Adamastorx; 10-27-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #149
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I ordered last Thursday (Oct 22, 2009) and it arrived yesterday (Oct.26, 2009). Since I live in the middle of nowhere (Philippines), the delivery time was quite impressive. Which reminds me... I need to change my profile
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #150
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniej View Post
I ordered last Thursday (Oct 22, 2009) and it arrived yesterday (Oct.26, 2009). Since I live in the middle of nowhere (Philippines), the delivery time was quite impressive. Which reminds me... I need to change my profile
Congratulations! How is it working out?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote