Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-14-2021, 04:11 AM   #31
SatanicSaint
SatanicSaint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmoore View Post
Firstly, thank you for this plugin as I have found it very useful. However I think I have found a bug.

You can search by either Title or author, but get no results if you enter both.

For example

If you search for author William Shakespeare it will return 15 books including King Lear.

If you search for King Lear, it will return one result.

But if you search for author William Shakespeare and title King Lear, it says it couldn't find any books matching your query.

The same thing happens with other books.
Ooh thanks a lot for reporting this. I'll check it out and post a fix.
SatanicSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #32
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Question: If I have previously downloaded Standard Ebooks in my library, could i use this to update the files?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #33
SatanicSaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Question: If I have previously downloaded Standard Ebooks in my library, could i use this to update the files?
You can always download the file if you know there is an updated version of it. But I'm working on an updater plugin which will update a file in your library if it sees there's a newer version in the corpus. I'm assuming that's what you are asking about. I'll try to finish it up and publish it quickly.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #34
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. I know that Standard Ebooks sometimes fixes issues so being able to check for updates would be useful.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #35
Bradles
Connoisseur
Bradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmosBradles has become one with the cosmos

Device: Apple Books & Kobo Libra H20
I submitted some corrections for Plague Ship by Andre Norton which were fixed and republished within 12 hours
Bradles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2021, 01:31 AM   #36
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
so I was testing a search for THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER

https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/ma...-of-tom-sawyer

noticed that all there eBooks seem to be missing the books images, not in only text compared to Gutenberg's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Complete by Mark Twain link included here.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/74

which you can download a ebook with images included its bigger is size like either 15.7 MB or 35.6 MB kindle version, which I would recompress the images with calibre ebook or azw kindle editor compress lossy with jpeg option, in any case, these standard ebook format does seem to have a nice format but they don't seem to include the images like a real paperback or hardback book would have included in them. my other problem with this format I don't no if it matter but if you use the editors check book feature it finds a bunch of error like for example it finds 6 errors total for the standard book format I downloaded

Warning [1 / 6]
epub/css/core.css (line: 121 column: 1)
Be careful when using !important declaration See detailed description.

Warning [2 / 6]
epub/css/se.css (line: 26 column: 31)
Headings should not be qualified (namespaced). See detailed description.

Warning [3 / 6]
epub/css/se.css (line: 27 column: 30)
Headings should not be qualified (namespaced). See detailed description.

Warning [4 / 6]
epub/images/cover.svg
This file is included in the book but not referred to by any document in the spine. This means that the file will not be viewable on most e-book readers. You should probably remove this file from the book or add a link to it somewhere.

Warning [5 / 6]
epub/onix.xml
This file is not listed in the book manifest. While not strictly necessary it is good practice to list all files in the manifest. Either list this file in the manifest or remove it from the book if it is an unnecessary file.
Add epub/onix.xml to the manifest

Information [6 / 6] ""not sure why calibre enters a bookmark into the ebook in the editor then finds it to be an error?""

META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt
This file stores the bookmarks and last opened information from the calibre E-book viewer. You can remove it if you do not need that information, or don't want to share it with other people you send this book to.

I had download its

Advanced epub — An advanced format that uses the latest technology not yet fully supported by most ereaders. -- not sure how the standard Compatible epub — All devices and apps except Kindles and Kobos. this one may not have errors in the editor didn't test it yet, but it also from the size of the book is missing the images from the Gutenberg one that includes the images, I like the idea of the standard eBooks but not sure which ones if any have images included and the ones that don't include the images, I have to search for more eBooks to see if any of them include the images that the other free book version not crazy about Gutenberg eBook formatting but I do like the fact that they included the images with some the eBooks and how they show the downloads with eBooks with images and eBooks without images under the download links I liked that fact that they have them listed with and without them under the title pages. Gutenberg formatting is not proper compared to a real books with images , standard eBooks look more proper formatted but for example this eBook is missing its images under that format, also besides text formatting matter to me , so does the placement of the images on the pages with the text that matter too I think anyway. sometimes I don't mind a book without images other times I like having the images included it depends on the story or book. the book for example mark twain should include some images, since its kind of a kids book, most kids don't like books without images in it that simple a fact, so for example titles like mark twain should include some of the images either old or updated images,

I do feel like kids will not read this standard eBook format if they don't include the images, of course that depends on the kid, but when I was little I didn't like books at all without images in them. same rules applied for eBooks formatted for kids to read this should include the images otherwise most kids will not read this eBook I think maybe its a standard that should be seen in this way I would think.

when searching for either Project Gutenberg ebooks under calibre's get books feature, it will automaticly download the version with images, but again if used to get the same books under standard ebooks format it then seems to download this one without the images, also noticed that project gutenberg does not list it as the publisher but under standard ebooks it will input it as the title as the publisher which i would think that correct maybe, going to search for more standard ebooks format to see if they include images with other books or books that would fit into a catagory like mark twain which is kind of a kids book, since its nice for example but anyway either way downloading with calibre under get books you have no idea if the book has or does not have images, you can't tell from what I can see if there is a icon that shows a image included with the download text I can't see that under get books, maybe a feature they should include in the future for the software.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 05-31-2021 at 02:05 AM. Reason: I added and given some more details about how I feel about eBooks that need to feel or look like real books formatting styles
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:11 AM   #37
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

one last thing I forgot about, when using the get books search I had to shorten alice in wonderland to wonderland in the search box for titles, and had to shorten the adventures of tom sawyer to tom sawyer same goes for Huckleberry Finn , it would not find it if you entered the adventures of Huckleberry Finn , for some reason it finds the Gutenberg titles just fine, but for the standard eBooks you have to shorten for search terms otherwise it can't find the eBooks with this plugin. don't no if that a bug or not in the software?
I have calibre 5.19 64bit installed.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:21 AM   #38
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur

the allice in wonderland includes the images, for some reason they didn't include them with the adventures of tom sawyer or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, don't no if that's a work in progress to include the images, that one thing I don't like either the images should be included if for say the Gutenberg eBooks has them so why not the same book for the mark twain series in the standard eBooks format removed the images for the same eBooks titles? I don't really understand why Gutenberg included the images but that doesn't seem to be the case for the standard eBooks, why the different standards in eBook quality I would have to ask about this?

and once again you have to short the search from alice in wonderland to wonderland even at standard eBooks website , it can't find them with full search titles? I noticed that when trying to find alice in wonderland, I had just to search the word wonderland instead?

https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/le...d/john-tenniel

book size for compatible is 15.8 and advanced epub format is 25.6, I am guessing they didn't even try to recompress the jpeg images to a more normal level without errors in the images of course. I do like that they are high in quality but I would recompress them myself for say my kindle eBook reader, or android tablet so if I say put it into my google play books uploads it doesn't have to download the oversized files, I like to optimize them in this case if I use my play books cloud for reading the ebooks.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 05-31-2021 at 02:27 AM. Reason: why does wonderland shortened title in search bar include images but not mark twain for standard ebooks formats?
Old 08-08-2021, 03:04 AM   #39
bs2k
bs2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Original author here; It's good to see someone picked up this plugin's development and fixed it. Fixing this was on the back of my mind for a while, but I was too lazy to do so. I think you'll be a better maintainer for this plugin!
bs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #40
pschmidt5
pschmidt5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Can someone please update the plugin to support KEPUB? Minimally tested patch below:

diff -r Standard Ebooks 2/__init__.py Standard Ebooks/__init__.py
16c16
< formats = ['EPUB', 'AZW3']
---
> formats = ['KEPUB', 'EPUB', 'AZW3']
diff -r Standard Ebooks 2/standard_ebooks_opensearch_store.py Standard Ebooks/standard_ebooks_opensearch_store.py
67a68,69
> elif type == 'application/kepub+zip' and title == 'Kobo Kepub epub':
> ext = 'KEPUB'
pschmidt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #41
SatanicSaint

Sorry have been a bit busy with life but I'll jump back on updating this plugin.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #42
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Is this still maintained? I just noticed that the Download option is now missing, requiring a visit to the site to get the books and slightly negating the reason I use the plugin to begin with

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-20-2022 at 02:40 PM.