Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #286
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm reading a book in KePub and I've noticed something with the full book page numbers. It seems they page numbers are not displaying at 1 screen = 1 page. How are the full book page numbers being done now?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #287
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm reading a book in KePub and I've noticed something with the full book page numbers. It seems they page numbers are not displaying at 1 screen = 1 page. How are the full book page numbers being done now?
The answer is that it hasn't changed, but it isn't perfect. There was a discussion on this with either the 4.21.x or 4.22.x firmware. From that, it looks like if there are images, it can get out of sync. But, I think there are some other conditions that can break it.

And, I had seen it not incrementing for the last page of a chapter. But, checking a couple of books just now, that might have been fixed.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-03-2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Missed "of a chapter"
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #288
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The answer is that it hasn't changed, but it isn't perfect. There was a discussion on this with either the 4.21.x or 4.22.x firmware. From that, it looks like if there are images, it can get out of sync. But, I think there are some other conditions that can break it.

And, I had seen it not incrementing for the last page. But, checking a couple of books just now, that might have been fixed.
he page number seems to be incrementing every other screen. I've turned on the footer so I can see what is going on.

If you meant the last page of the chapter, that is incrementing.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #289
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
he page number seems to be incrementing every other screen. I've turned on the footer so I can see what is going on.
I looked at an example from the previous discussion and the page count is not incrementing correctly. It isn't every other page. As I said, it appears to be related to the images in it.

For the novel I am reading, and the last couple, the page number is incrementing correctly.
Quote:
If you meant the last page of the chapter, that is incrementing.
Yes, that is what I meant. It has been a problem in one of the recent firmware. But, I think it only occurred when there only a few lines on the last page. It didn't happen with the chapters I just looked at, so it might have been fixed.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #290
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I looked at an example from the previous discussion and the page count is not incrementing correctly. It isn't every other page. As I said, it appears to be related to the images in it.

For the novel I am reading, and the last couple, the page number is incrementing correctly.
The book I am reading has no images other then the cover and title page. I did convert it with KePubify just to give it a try. I just did the same eBook again using the KoboTouchExtended driver and the page numbers are working the same way.

Quote:
Yes, that is what I meant. It has been a problem in one of the recent firmware. But, I think it only occurred when there only a few lines on the last page. It didn't happen with the chapters I just looked at, so it might have been fixed.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-03-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #291
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I think the problem may be in the Kobo algorithm which estimates total pages for the book.

I've just had a detailed look at a fairly short kepub. The per/chapter screencount in the header seems to increment correctly. However if you add up all these chapter counts it bears no resemblance to the book's total screencount shown in the footer.

In my book:
- sum of chapter screencounts 170
- footer screencount 90

I did page through the book as if I was actually reading it and I arrived at page 90 of 90 on the last page, but I'd actually turned the page 170 times.

So the %read figure for whole book is probably OK. The total screenfuls is about half of what it should be. As for time left to read, I don't know whether this is roughly correct or roughly 50% wrong.

ETA: This book has no images except Cover and Title pages.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #292
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think the problem may be in the Kobo algorithm which estimates total pages for the book.

I've just had a detailed look at a fairly short kepub. The per/chapter screencount in the header seems to increment correctly. However if you add up all these chapter counts it bears no resemblance to the book's total screencount shown in the footer.

In my book:
- sum of chapter screencounts 170
- footer screencount 90

I did page through the book as if I was actually reading it and I arrived at page 90 of 90 on the last page, but I'd actually turned the page 170 times.

So the %read figure for whole book is probably OK. The total screenfuls is about half of what it should be. As for time left to read, I don't know whether this is roughly correct or roughly 50% wrong.

ETA: This book has no images except Cover and Title pages.
I had one HTML file not in the ToC. So I edited the ePub and all the HTML are in the ToC. The page numbers are still not 1-1. They have not changed.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #293
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had one HTML file not in the ToC. So I edited the ePub and all the HTML are in the ToC. The page numbers are still not 1-1. They have not changed.
The point I was trying to make is that if Kobo are not calculating the total screenfuls per book (as shown in the footer) correctly then it's not altogether surprising that the 'x of total' in the footer is also incorrect. It wouldn't surprise me if x is being calculated as '%read multiplied by erroneous total', although I have no inside info on how the calculation is actually done.

I'm 100% sure that none of my books have "missing items" in the ToC so I don't think this is contributing to the kepub pagecount issue on my devices.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #294
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is there anything we can do or do we have to wait for Kobo to fix the bug?
Old 09-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #295
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know, but I can say with certainty that I don't know how to fix it.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #296
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, there is something you can do: Tell Kobo it is a problem that you are concerned about. Then you have to wait.

But, you should also check whether it is a problem for purchased books. Remember, Kobo do not actually support sideloading kepubs. If you demonstrate a problem with kepubs happen for purchased books, it is more likely to be fixed.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #297
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The point I was trying to make is that if Kobo are not calculating the total screenfuls per book (as shown in the footer) correctly then it's not altogether surprising that the 'x of total' in the footer is also incorrect. It wouldn't surprise me if x is being calculated as '%read multiplied by erroneous total', although I have no inside info on how the calculation is actually done.

I'm 100% sure that none of my books have "missing items" in the ToC so I don't think this is contributing to the kepub pagecount issue on my devices.
I just opened a kepub I finished in the last week and started paging through it. I this case, it was showing repeating a page number, but, about every tenth page. And, for most chapters, it didn't increment for the last page. I haven't noticed if for the current book.

Part of the differences between us could be the font size and screen size. I was testing on the Libra H2O with the font about third of the way from the right. Line spacing and margins set to the minimum. And no patches.

For the percent read and time left, I do not believe this has changed. From what I can see, these are based on the word counts, not the page counts. You can see this with a book that has images, especially if the images are collected more to one end of the book than the other.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-03-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #298
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I've noticed in Pocket articles, where the "chapter" screen count should be the same as total screen count, that they are different. For example, the story I'm reading now shows 48 screens for the chapter and but only 40 for the whole story. Since they both arrive at their respective totals at the end, at least one of them is off on actual screen counts.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #299
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, there is something you can do: Tell Kobo it is a problem that you are concerned about. Then you have to wait.

But, you should also check whether it is a problem for purchased books. Remember, Kobo do not actually support sideloading kepubs. If you demonstrate a problem with kepubs happen for purchased books, it is more likely to be fixed.
What is the best way to contact Kobo to report a bug?
Old 09-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #300
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is the best way to contact Kobo to report a bug?
Really? I have to repeat that yet again? It's on every single page of their store.

Tags
firmware, firmware release