Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #256
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It's never blindingly fast but after a minute or three, all done with no issues.
If it succeeds, it does so in a minute or two. Typically if it doesn't finish in 2 minutes, it will keep going until I abort it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #257
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I use sync a lot because of Pocket. I leave wifi on all the time and have the automatic overnight sync enabled too. I've sideloaded a handful of books with calibre since the update, no effect on syncing.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #258
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarissa View Post
I actually very very rarely use the Kobo desktop app, but since it wasn't syncing over wifi, I thought I'd try it that way. It sure didn't help.
Have you tried using the Kobo desktop application without using calibre? This is just to prove whether it is an issue with using the PC or specific to something calibre does. And that is because I can't think what calibre is doing that would trigger this problem.
Quote:
Yes, once I've used my reader with Calibre, Kobo syncing fails.

1. Sorry, I don't know what KSM is. I have the latest version of software on both my Kobo and Calibre.
KSM is "Kobo Start Menu". It is an addon that lets you intercept the restarting process to avoid going straight into Kobo's software.
Quote:
2. Using Calibre is the only way I know how to load other books that aren't directly from Kobo onto my reader, so I have no idea
You can sideload books by simply copying them to the device. If you connect the device without calibre running, you can copy an epub to the device and see what happens afterwards. The books should be imported by the device. And it shouldn't affect the syncing.
Quote:
3. Yes
4. No
5. No
6. No
Those all suggest the database isn't corrupt.
Quote:
7. 4.23
Which 4.23? There are two. Hopefully 4.23.15548 as you are posting in this thread.
Quote:
8. 5.2GB available
Not a space issue
Quote:
In summary, all software used is up to date, sycing to Kobo works great until I sync to Calibre, then it stops being able to sync to Kobo. The ereader never has an issue with Calibre (other than of course once I add books from Calibre, I can no longer sync to Kobo).

I can also tell you that as of right now, it has been syncing since about an hour or so before I wrote my original message and is still no further than "Checking for updates".
That should only take a few seconds. My Touch can lose the WiFi connection and will get stuck like this for a while. And the only thing to do is stop the sync and start again. It could be the WiFi has dropped out. Starting the browser can show this.

There are two things I'd like to see:
  • Your "KoboReader.conf" from the .kobo/Kobo directory
  • A debug log.

To produce the debug log:
  1. Turn developers mode on by going into search and entering "devmodeon". You don't get any response to this.
  2. Go to the Device information page of the settings. There will now be a "Developers options" at the bottom. Select this.
  3. Next, select the "Logging Category" setting.
  4. Then select "sync" and "headerdump".

Then sync the device. If it gets stuck again, wait a couple of minutes, cancel the sync and connect the device to the PC. In the ".kobo" directory, there should be a file with a name that looks like "syslog-2020.08.31-12.14.19". The last part is the date and time when you connected the device to the PC. Send me that to look at. I'm interested to see how far through the sync it has gotten and if there are any errors. I would suggest putting the file in a PM, or uploading it somewhere and PM the link to me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #259
tamarissa
Connoisseur
tamarissa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@davidfor

So I have again redone everything, this time in accordance with your tips and requests. I'm outlining everything I've done as I'm doing it; hopefully that will also both help with understanding & reduce futher questions .

1. Factory Reset
2. Signed into Kobo account on ereader
3. Downloaded all my books over wifi (of course, as this was the first sync, it took a while but it was definitely not an unreasonable amount of time).
4. Saved the "KoboReader.conf" file for you at this point in time (post-sync). Not sure if you need it here, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have a clean reference point. I couldn't upload it here due to the file type, but it is in link I will PM you.

Quote:
Have you tried using the Kobo desktop application without using calibre? This is just to prove whether it is an issue with using the PC or specific to something calibre does. And that is because I can't think what calibre is doing that would trigger this problem.
5. Synced reader to the Kobo Desktop App
6. Re-synced reader to Kobo over wifi. This worked just fine, so it doesn't look like it's a computer issue. Saved the "KoboReader.conf" file for you at this point in time.

Quote:
You can sideload books by simply copying them to the device. If you connect the device without calibre running, you can copy an epub to the device and see what happens afterwards. The books should be imported by the device. And it shouldn't affect the syncing.
Wow, that was super obvious... I guess when you always do things the same way, you forget there's other options. Blonde moment!
7. Copied a few books directly onto ereader
8. Re-synced reader to Kobo over wifi. This worked just fine, so it doesn't look like it's a computer issue. Saved the "KoboReader.conf" file for you at this point in time.
9. Opened up Calibre in debug mode (figured it couldn't hurt; this is the only thing I did differently from the previous times using Calibre) and sent the books to the reader. Saved the debug file for you. While the books were importing into the ereader, it stalled at 67% for a very long time. Then it restarted to reader (probably about when it would've went to sleep normally). Last time I didn't notice that, but I do remember that after I finished a book and updated Calibre, it did go back to that importing content screen again after I ejected it, even though I hadn't added any new books. So I connected and synced back up to Calibre, ejected it, and it finished importing everything.
10. Tried to sync over wifi to my Kobo account, and lo and behold, I had no problems... which is good, but really frustrating after all this work! I wanted to get the error to find out was wrong . I've connected and disconnected to Calibre a few times now, and then syncing to my account again immediately afterward, and it seems to be fine now. However, I will still keep all those files in case it suddenly stops again. Probably will as soon as I hit 'submit' .

Steps 4-8 (and 9 - Calibre Debug mode) were not things I had previously done, so maybe there was something in those steps that mitigated the issue? I don't know... maybe connecting to my computer using other things first was the key here? Would debug mode make any difference?

I'm almost curious enough to try it again without steps 5 & 7 just to see if goes back to the non-syncing issue, but not quite curious enough to actually do it. If it becomes an issue again, I'll give it a shot that way first to see.
tamarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #260
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
is anyone else using an external micro SD card with this firmware? and if so are you getting the, we couldn't recognize your Micro SD card. please format in FAT32 and try again message right in the middle of the home screen? i'm getting it every time i turn on from powered off.

the weird thing being all the books are showing on the home screen/working fine, and i don't have to take the card out and put it in again. the message won't go away until i either click on ok or use the x to close it at the top right of the pop up message.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2020, 08:20 PM   #261
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
is anyone else using an external micro SD card with this firmware? and if so are you getting the, we couldn't recognize your Micro SD card. please format in FAT32 and try again message right in the middle of the home screen? i'm getting it every time i turn on from powered off.

the weird thing being all the books are showing on the home screen/working fine, and i don't have to take the card out and put it in again. the message won't go away until i either click on ok or use the x to close it at the top right of the pop up message.
I have an external SD card in my Aura H2O. I haven't had any problems with it. And I have been using it a bit while testing various things.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:34 PM   #262
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have an external SD card in my Aura H2O. I haven't had any problems with it. And I have been using it a bit while testing various things.
ok thanks. the books on the card are working so that's the main thing. i might try another SD card to see if it does the same.

best wishes koboy
Old 08-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #263
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Probably not much help to you but 7 or 8 years ago, I seem to remember several discussions about the Kobo Touch not seeing the external uSD card. See this discussion: Kobo Touch will not recognize micro SD for an example. There were also similar issues with the Kobo Glo and Aura H2O. For my H2O, the problem cleared up after I reformatted the uSD card with the SD Association formatter and added a label during the format.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-01-2020 at 01:26 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:03 AM   #264
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Does anyone face this issue wherein you are not able to select the last word of the first paragraph (for dictionary lookup/highlight etc.) in every page? The word doesn't get selected and menu doesn't appear.

The word gets selected if the last word is within a double quotes or if the paragraph starts in the page itself. Otherwise it never gets selected.

Tested now in multiple firmware/books (only epub) etc. This is happening consistently for the last few versions at least. Wanted to see if it affects others/other devices or is it just me (Clara, epub, latest firmware here).
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:00 AM   #265
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Does anyone face this issue wherein you are not able to select the last word of the first paragraph (for dictionary lookup/highlight etc.) in every page? The word doesn't get selected and menu doesn't appear.
No problem with my Forma. Works fine, I can select all last words of all first paragraphs.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:08 AM   #266
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
No problem with my Forma. Works fine, I can select all last words of all first paragraphs.
Pleased to hear that - I only read kepubs, and couldn't replicate the fault, so wondered if it was an epub glitch.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:30 AM   #267
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Does anyone face this issue wherein you are not able to select the last word of the first paragraph...
I have seen that on my Clara too for epubs. But inspecting the source text revealed that sometimes just behind the unselectable word, a <br/> was used instead of </p>. Or that the word was surrounded by other tags like <span> or <a>. Selection on those occasions is then not always successful is my experience.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:05 AM   #268
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

The word gets selected if the last word is within a double quotes or if the paragraph starts in the page itself. Otherwise it never gets selected.

Tested now in multiple firmware/books (only epub) etc. This is happening consistently for the last few versions at least. Wanted to see if it affects others/other devices or is it just me (Clara, epub, latest firmware here).
That has been in a bug in the firmware for a very long time. It happens for epubs when a paragraph continues from the previous screen. If the last word is followed by a single punctuation character, when you try to select the word it isn't. What happens is whatever would have happened if you single tapped that location. With some extra flashes. Selecting text that includes this word can also have problems.

I remind Kobo of it occasionally, but, I've pretty much compensated for it. And as annoying as it is, there are plenty of other things I want changed first.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #269
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Probably not much help to you but 7 or 8 years ago, I seem to remember several discussions about the Kobo Touch not seeing the external uSD card. See this discussion: Kobo Touch will not recognize micro SD for an example. There were also similar issues with the Kobo Glo and Aura H2O. For my H2O, the problem cleared up after I reformatted the uSD card with the SD Association formatter and added a label during the format.
thanks. the same thing happens on firmware 3.16.0 with another SD card when i first turn on from power off. difference being the pop up message goes off on it's own, unlike this firmware. unfortunately the link you gave seems to have gone goodbye.

best wishes koboy
Old 09-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #270
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

best wishes koboy
Why are you powering off instead of sleep mode? It takes more power to power off/on then sleep mode. Unless you are powering off because you are putting it away for weeks or more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release