Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
shelf field value gone

Is there any way to update the shelves data for books on the device?

Suddenly the categories in the menu Shelves on the reader don't have any books. Says 0 books in all categories except one.

All books are there, but only visible in the menus Books or Author.

I think it has to do with the fact that I logged out and were forced to do the registration process again. Don't remember if I had to add all books again or if they showed up after that. They were not bought from Kobo, but sideloaded through Calibre.

I have only added one book after that, and that is the book which is visible in it's catagory/shelf.

Do I have to delete all books from the reader and add everyone again? If so, is it better to do a complete reset or how can I be sure that I have deleted all metadata etc about the books, so I can add them again without anything going wrong?

Or is it a way to update the device from Calibre so that also the shelf field is updated?
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How are you managing the collections? If you do it from calibre, plug the device in and let calibre do its stuff.

If you are doing it manually on the device, then you need to redo them.

And yes, the sign out is what wiped them. Kobo do not sync any details of sideloaded books. Hence it cannot rebuild the collections afterwards. You have to do that separately.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 03:56 AM   #3
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thanks for answer.

I always manage books first in Calibre and set the Language correct, adding Label values, adding My shelves values (genre), spelling errors in author names, etc.

Then I connect the reader and transfer them to the device. The books have always appeared in the different shelf categories that I have created.

But after the log out, new registering process, the categories (genre) were visible in the menu Shelves in the reader, but there were no books visible in the different created genre categories.

Only the books that I have transferred after the log out, new registration process are visible in the menu Shelves/Collection on the reader.

So, the books that I once transferred to the reader and that were once visible in the Collection menu are now not visible there. In Calibre the books still have My shelves value.

So what's the best way to get the Collection values back to the books in the device? Update them from Calibre in any way? Or first delete all books in the device and then transfer them again?

Sorry for any confusing description of my problem.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
marp68
Addict

I now deleted all book on the device through Calibre. Then transferred them again to the device. And they now appear in the My self genre categories.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not at my PC but if you have meta data set to sync automatically on connect then shelves/collections get updated every time the device is connected.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
marp68
Addict

Maybe I didn't had it turned on automatically then. Will try. Thanks
Old 09-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not at my PC but if you have meta data set to sync automatically on connect then shelves/collections get updated every time the device is connected.
Sorry for asking, but how do you change it to sync automatically when connecting the device? Don't find any setting for that neither in Calibre or KoboUtilities. What did I miss?
Old 09-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Sorry for asking, but how do you change it to sync automatically when connecting the device? Don't find any setting for that neither in Calibre or KoboUtilities. What did I miss?
Go into calibre Preferences, open Sending books to devices and set the Metadata management to Automatic Management.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I used this feature to remove all of my series based collections and keep the eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Go into calibre Preferences, open Sending books to devices and set the Metadata management to Automatic Management.
Thanks, now I understood it. I made a test and worked great. Could have used this instead of delete and resending all books. So many great feautures in both Calibre, KoboUtilities and other plugins.