Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #1
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
CC Amazon License Issues

Hi All

My Kindle updated the Amazon purchased version of CC yesterday, the first update in about a year that I have seen.

Unfortunately it appears to have broke the license model. When I try and click Wireless Device Sync I get a message saying:

"Application not Licensed.

This application does not appear to be licensed correctly through Google Play. Please make sire your Internet Connection is working, and that you have purchased the app through Google Play. You are now being disconnected from Calibre".

I did not purchase this from Google but the Amazon store so it shouldn't be using the Google License system but the Amazon one.

Also noticed that the issue is also happening on my Samsung S10+ where it is loaded from the Amazon App Store.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the app but the issue remains - sometimes it lets me sync once then fails if I try a second time.

Debug log has been sent but anyone else seeing this or have any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by SASSBS; 06-27-2020 at 10:06 AM.
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
complain also to amazon. if its a broken update then amazon should remove it, and put back the previous version, or refund you because the app you bought in their store is no longer licensed.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Amazon won't care - it's up to the developer to ensure that updates don't break the license method. They need to either fix it or roll back the update by publishing the older version with a newer version number unfortunately.
hopefully one of the dev's will chime in with a solution
Old 06-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
saralynne
saralynne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Same issue

That update really made a mess of everything. First it deleted all my books and settings.

When I tried to connect to Calibre, I got the Google license message. I did finally manage to connect once to repopulate CC but when a few books were missing, I had to use the content server to retrieve them.

After my books were once again in CC, I discovered that long-pressing on any book to open it resulted in a DRM message... every book, both free and purchased. They all open directly with no problems if I bypass CC.

I have been using CC for a very long time (I think it was actually free at Amazon when I first got it). Never had a problem before but I certainly won't be updating it on my second Kindle.
saralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Glad its not just me.

I did loose everything but I think that was because it forced a uninstall to update. I hadn't noticed the DRM issue and just tried it and get the same.

They have really messed this up it doesn't seem like they did any testing using the Kindle version.

Wonder if they will acknowledge the issues anytime soon.
Advert
Old 06-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
carygrant
carygrant began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Same here advised of update via amazon Appstore it uninstalled CalibreCompanion! and removed the database even worse
It reinstalled and now keeps informing me that the "This application does not appear to be licensed correctly through Google play"

But this is the Amazon version!!

Please push the correct version to Amazon Appstore and at least let us attempt to restore back to "normal"
carygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
saralynne
saralynne began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
They have really messed this up it doesn't seem like they did any testing using the Kindle version.
It doesn't look like there actually *is* a Kindle version right now... more like the same version in both app stores. The permissions include a Google license check. Guess I'll be checking the permissions more closely on Amazon apps from now on.
saralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
paul66
paul66 began at the beginning.

I've got the same problem, looks like CC was a wasted purchase. Even though the demo appears to work ok.
paul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #9
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Hello Everyone,

We are aware of the issue and investigating on how to resolve with keeping the updated version with our fixes.

If not we will conduct a version rollback.

Stay tuned for updates.

Thanks,
Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:56 AM   #10
SASSBS
Connoisseur

Alex

Thanks for the update, however as the app is completely broken for Amazon users can I suggest that you conduct the rollback and then look into fixing the issue.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
paul66
paul66 began at the beginning.

Rollback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
Alex

Thanks for the update, however as the app is completely broken for Amazon users can I suggest that you conduct the rollback and then look into fixing the issue.

Thanks
Seconded as we can't use the app at all.
paul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
SASSBS
Connoisseur

@PMrev Alex is there an update on a fix or rolling back - leaving paying customers with a broken app is not good service and I see a few 1 star reviews for this issue floating about so long run it's not good for you.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #13
frainj@tcd.ie
frainj@tcd.ie began at the beginning.

Device: Fire hd 10, Ipad10.2, Honor Play, Android Tablets
I have the same problem. One of my favourite apps on Android and Fire (both paid) are now useless. Please roll back to the previous version if a newer working version is not available.
frainj@tcd.ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #14
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Working on releasing something tonight.

We were not allowed to rollback.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and will update when we get close to launch.

Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #15
MegAnne
Enthusiast
MegAnne began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
Working on releasing something tonight.

We were not allowed to rollback.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and will update when we get close to launch.

Alex
Glad to know that you're taking care of the issue. I bought Calibre Companion from the Amazon Appstore and, even if I wanted to pay for it again and get it from the Play Store, I would be forced to "hack" my Fire to install the Play Store and I really don't want to.

Update: because I'm always hopeful, I went back to the Appstore and re-downloaded and reinstalled CC. It got worse. Now doesn't even allow me to change the default folder so I can't even access my books.

Last edited by MegAnne; 07-03-2020 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Status Update
MegAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, calibre companion, licence