Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Standard eBooks: Classic eBooks Remasters

Just wanted to share a link to Standard eBooks, my favourite repository of classics, remastered and tailored for use on eReaders.

Quote:
Standard Ebooks is a volunteer driven, not-for-profit project that produces new editions of public domain ebooks that are lovingly formatted, open source, and free.

Ebook projects like Project Gutenberg transcribe ebooks and make them available for the widest number of reading devices. Standard Ebooks takes ebooks from sources like Project Gutenberg, formats and typesets them using a carefully designed and professional-grade style manual, fully proofreads and corrects them, and then builds them to create a new edition that takes advantage of state-of-the-art ereader and browser technology.

Standard Ebooks aren’t just a beautiful addition to your digital library—they’re a high quality standard to build your own ebooks on.
Thought you guys may have some benefit using it.
Tomifonication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
Just wanted to share a link to Standard eBooks, my favourite repository of classics, remastered and tailored for use on eReaders.
Yeah, I've enjoyed a good number of their books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
<snip>
Thought you guys may have some benefit using it.
Great news.

For-profit publishers which clean up and reproduce books which are out of copyright are fairly common. It's nice to learn of a group which does it on a volunteer basis!
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Great news.

For-profit publishers which clean up and reproduce books which are out of copyright are fairly common. It's nice to learn of a group which does it on a volunteer basis!
For that matter, for-profit publishers who republish Gutenberg books with little to no clean-up also seem fairly common.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For that matter, for-profit publishers who republish Gutenberg books with little to no clean-up also seem fairly common.
I'm sure that a lot of those publishers do use the Gutenberg texts. The texts are cheap (free), and as you mentioned, they generally require little to no clean-up (because most of the volunteers are sticklers for quality work). Why reinvent the wheel?

It looks like Standard goes several steps further, as a matter of course, however, than even Gutenberg does.

BTW--what's wrong with being/living deep in the heart of Texas? I've visited in that area, and have no complaints.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-23-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Advert
Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
BTW--what's wrong with being/living deep in the heart of Texas? I've visited in that area, and have no complaints.
As the saying goes, "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

To be fair, Texas has been very good to me. But I miss my home state, California. They are entirely different experiences.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
To be fair, Texas has been very good to me. But I miss my home state, California. They are entirely different experiences.
Having lived in both states, I much prefer California over Texas; and Washington over both of them
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Houston is just like where I live now. Same type of vegetation, temperatures and humidity. It just takes less time to get from one side of town to the other.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Having lived in both states, I much prefer California over Texas...
I agree with you there.

Quote:
and Washington over both of them
I'll be headed up there in June and again in July. I have a lot of family in Washington on both sides of the state.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
This looks like an excellent resource!

I am ashamed to say that I've spent a dollar or two in the past on Kindle books that I knew were public domain, just because being on the Kindle store usually guaranteed a minimum level of formatting sanity that would not necessarily be present in Gutenberg texts.

But having a human-checked resource for public domain books is an excellent idea! I may actually try to make some contributions via my GitHub account.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
This looks like an excellent resource!

I am ashamed to say that I've spent a dollar or two in the past on Kindle books that I knew were public domain, just because being on the Kindle store usually guaranteed a minimum level of formatting sanity that would not necessarily be present in Gutenberg texts.

But having a human-checked resource for public domain books is an excellent idea! I may actually try to make some contributions via my GitHub account.

You might also wish to try Mobileread's Library.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
Why the shame? It was clearly worth it to you. Just because it's available free doesn't mean the free source is the best.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:21 AM   #13
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You might also wish to try Mobileread's Library.
I keep forgetting that one (Patricia Clark Memorial), myself. Does that Library get searched by any of the common search engines?

And, congratulations on the excellent recovery!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-27-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:43 AM   #14
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As the saying goes, "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

I've never been to California (except for changing planes at LAX; people say that changing planes doesn't count (even though I had to go outside and walk a ways with my luggage because of the stupid arrangement there of having the international terminal in a different building from the domestic one)).

In California, there are all kinds of experiences that you can have--ocean, high mountains, deserts, huge valleys, enormous cities . . . . probably some places there are like parts of Texas. Of course, having the same state government gives California a consistency.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:49 AM   #15
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Having lived in both states, I much prefer California over Texas; and Washington over both of them
If Washington's so great, why did Audible want to move to the opposite side of the country (New York)?

I rest my case.