Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #166
DoktrJones
DoktrJones is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook mini, likebook plus
Did anyone update his likebook/illumina after it was already rooted without issues?

Also the battery life is pretty bad, even in standby mode it keeps draining pretty fast. Does the update bring any improvements in this regard?
DoktrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #167
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktrJones View Post
Did anyone update his likebook/illumina after it was already rooted without issues?
I updated it after rooting it without issues, but if I recall correctly I had to root it again after the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktrJones View Post
Also the battery life is pretty bad, even in standby mode it keeps draining pretty fast. Does the update bring any improvements in this regard?
I haven't had an issue with battery drain. Then again I leave the wireless and Bluetooth turned off when not in use.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #168
DoktrJones

Thanks, the upgrade worked without problems, I did do a factory reset to be safe. The battery drain seems to be resolved now, it dropped only a few percent overnight. Guess I'll stick to the default settings.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #169
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Sleeve cover???

Anyone stumbled across a sleeve cover (open top, not zippered) that will fit this beastie as yet???
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #170
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
Anyone stumbled across a sleeve cover (open top, not zippered) that will fit this beastie as yet???
There are plenty out there, with a zipper. But there are many without a zipper but do have a flap. Here are a couple, one, two.

Update: Here is one that may work with no zipper or flap.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-06-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Advert
Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #171
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thanks.

Currently am using a black neoprene with zipper and extra pocket that has a smaller footprint than 1 and 2.

Style of #3 is what I am looking for but not in leather (faux or not)!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #172
p38lightning
Zealot

Any further firmware updates as of 4/1? I am still having infrequent but annoying "freezes" with mine!

Last edited by p38lightning; 04-11-2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added clarification
Old 04-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #173
p38lightning
Zealot

This is open to our group here.
Does anyone know of a screen protector that is actually "anti-reflective" and not just anti-glare for an led tablet screen. What I am seeking is something that would diffuse reflected light sources and come as close as possible to how an eInk/eCarta screen looks in direct light situations. Yes, I know a byproduct of this would be to dull down the overall brightness of the unit's screen. Have looked in vain for sometime now for this.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #174
kmw1964
kmw1964 began at the beginning.

Device: icarus xl
Just an FYI - I bought the icarus xl 7.8 inch 300 dpi for Christmas 2017 and I sent it back at my own cost to the Netherlands a few days after it was bought in early January 2018 (they will not pay the shipping costs) as light was not working properly and one day a week or so ago while I was reading the screen went blank. I contacted icarus and basically they told me tough, they would sell me a another for 179 euro!

It is a piece of crap,stopped working after 3 months and company refuses to honor warranty as they say the screen was broken due me dropping it but there is not a scratch on it and it was never dropped.

I have never written a review before but would say stay away from this product and company as it will not last and you will be out your money!
kmw1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #175
supertoth
JJMora
supertoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Icarus Illumina XL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1964 View Post
Just an FYI - I bought the icarus xl 7.8 inch 300 dpi for Christmas 2017 and I sent it back at my own cost to the Netherlands a few days after it was bought in early January 2018 (they will not pay the shipping costs) as light was not working properly and one day a week or so ago while I was reading the screen went blank. I contacted icarus and basically they told me tough, they would sell me a another for 179 euro!

It is a piece of crap,stopped working after 3 months and company refuses to honor warranty as they say the screen was broken due me dropping it but there is not a scratch on it and it was never dropped.

I have never written a review before but would say stay away from this product and company as it will not last and you will be out your money!
I haven't had a good experience too. My screen started yellowing at the border shortly after it arrived.
supertoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #176
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoth View Post
Quote:
I haven't had a good experience too. My screen started yellowing at the border shortly after it arrived.
Thus far my experience has been the opposite. I've had this ereader for 6 months, read dozens of books, and since the January update this device has been rock solid. Hopefully the experience the two of you have had is the exception and not the rule for the Boyue T80s ereaders.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:53 AM   #177
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoth View Post
I also have yellowing at the border.

However, I also purchased two Boyue Likebook devices from China and they don't exhibit this behavior, so it may be a problem with a specific batch.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #178
supertoth
JJMora
supertoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Icarus Illumina XL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
I also have yellowing at the border.

However, I also purchased two Boyue Likebook devices from China and they don't exhibit this behavior, so it may be a problem with a specific batch.
I also have a hot spot (much brighter light) on the top right corner. Very distracting when reading at night. That defect should not have passed a simple quality control. I have a lemon, just my luck.

Last edited by supertoth; 05-06-2018 at 04:20 PM.
supertoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:36 AM   #179
DoktrJones

Quote:

Hi, I would try to press them further if I were you, especially since your device is only a few months old. The consumer rights are pretty good in the Netherlands, that's why I also bought this device from Icarus instead of importing it from China. If they say you broke the device, the burden of proof is on them. Tell them you will file a complaint if they won't repair/replace the device. You can also demand a refund.

Fwiw, my device still works flawlessly after almost 6 months
Old 05-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #180
cpuz
cpuz began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD
I got it today. It's quite pleasant. It's not heavy or too big and it is responsive enough. I installed the Boyue v 1.0.2 update as everyone seems to recommend it here. Works without problem.

PDFs are very important for me. Most of what I read are pdf with scanned books and journal articles. The built-in reader seemed ok with the processes of reading and changing options. Cropping is sloppy though and I kept losing the first lines after cropping even though the line I set is quite above it, but it works once you increase margins to accommodate for this. Reflow worked well actually. But highlighting and annotating did not seem to work in any practical way. It just doesn't recognize the long touch on text (sometimes it moved the page and sometimes it brings up the menu) except every once and a while. I guess the built-in reader is better for epub and only reading of pdfs.

I tried XODO Docs though and it's really good. It does everything the built-in reader promises with pdfs but does it well (crop, zoom, reflow, page turns locked on the zoom, highlight with colors, annotate, underline, strike). I will definitely read all pdfs on this app.

If you can recommend other good reader apps for this device, please do.
cpuz is offline   Reply With Quote