Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
MISTER READER
MISTER READER began at the beginning.

Device: none
Questions about Kindle

Have not used Kindle for a while due to lack of customizability. Questions regarding current Kindle products:

1) Can I export highlights/notes from a SIDELOADED book?
2) Can I sync SIDELOADED books across devices (e.g., Kindle eReader and Kindle App on mobile phone)

Thanks.
MISTER READER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The answer is no to both. Amazon only has access to your kindle purchases and only amazon kindle ebooks are stored on the cloud, Amazon ebooks will sync across devices but not side loaded books. yo have to side load all your deices individually for non-amazon kindle purchases
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Actually you can do both. If you e-mail your books to your Kindle's e-mail address or use the Send to Kindle app, the books will be stored in the Amazon cloud and synced across devices. You cannot sync any books sideloaded via USB.

As for exporting your notes and highlights, they're stored in a "My Clippings.txt" file. You can copy-paste it to your PC from your Kindle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
MISTER READER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Actually you can do both. If you e-mail your books to your Kindle's e-mail address or use the Send to Kindle app, the books will be stored in the Amazon cloud and synced across devices. You cannot sync any books sideloaded via USB.

As for exporting your notes and highlights, they're stored in a "My Clippings.txt" file. You can copy-paste it to your PC from your Kindle.
Thank you. How do you send to the Amazon cloud? All I know how to do is to send to a specific Kindle device, each of which has a specific email address associated with it. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTER READER View Post
Have not used Kindle for a while due to lack of customizability. Questions regarding current Kindle products:
Since a release (or two) back, you can now load custom fonts on the newer Kindles — and you can adjust the font's weight. So those are now easy customizations. (I realize this is not Kobo level customization, but it's about the only reason I wanted to jailbreak my Kindle — to add my own fonts. Now I don't have to worry about it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thank you. How do you send to the Amazon cloud? All I know how to do is to send to a specific Kindle device, each of which has a specific email address associated with it. Thanks!
Yes, you send to that address and they will also be stored in the cloud. The other method is to download and install the Send to Kindle app (https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle) and use this for sending your books. When sending via the app you can choose if you want to store your document in the cloud or not. When you use e-mail, they will be stored automatically.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
MISTER READER

Thanks again. I will buy a Kindle and try this out.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've never done this, but I think once you've sent a document to a Kindle device it's automatically saved to your cloud storage. I'm testing it now with a free PDF book and will report when (if) all goes well. (This is a "real" PDF document, not copies of each page of the book joined together.) EDIT2: Worked great!

EDIT: (Looks like the question was already answered. Sorry for the redundancy.)

Last edited by rcentros; 09-24-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
MISTER READER

I just wanted to thank you for the guidance on this. I got the Kindle and it syncs perfectly for side-loaded books across devices, including notes. All notes are accessible through my_clippings file after connecting to PC via USB.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I just wanted to thank you for the guidance on this. I got the Kindle and it syncs perfectly for side-loaded books across devices, including notes. All notes are accessible through my_clippings file after connecting to PC via USB.
Glad to see it worked out. Congratulations on your new Kindle.