Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #61
carnivore
carnivore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldisk View Post
I just got the Kindle 3G with special offers yesterday. Is it just me or is it really difficult to navigate with the built-in internet browser? Zooming in and out was no problem, but the response was slow... almost like a 1980 PC. I guess I should treat it as an emergency back-up internet device?
Indeed, but when you're stuck in an airport and need to contact your ride, it's worth dealing with the slow CPU. Or when you want to know your friend is okay

I think that's why the browser is under the 'experimental' menu.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #62
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
Indeed, but when you're stuck in an airport and need to contact your ride, it's worth dealing with the slow CPU. Or when you want to know your friend is okay

I think that's why the browser is under the 'experimental' menu.

I agree. I just tried using the Kinde's browser to do some light emailing and
it worked fine.(for Gmail, at least)

I think Amazon put Kindle's browser under "experimental" because their
legal department insisted. In case they decide to remove the browser
capability, you can't really sue them for removing an experimental feature.

(just like I can't sue the pharmaceutical company after I willingly participated
in their drug experiment and grew two boobs on my hairy back )

Last edited by ovaldisk; 08-05-2011 at 03:24 PM.
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #63
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Hey mine came in handy today to look at a map. We were out and someone told us about a yard sale, so we looked up the street and found it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #64
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Hey mine came in handy today to look at a map. We were out and someone told us about a yard sale, so we looked up the street and found it!
did you buy a map at the yard sale?

interestingly, I bought a map at a yard sale last weekend. (well, it was actully
a large National Geographic Atlas of the World that weighed 8 pounds)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #65
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no the map on kindlemap (something like that) that I had put on the kindle and never used before.

an 8 lb map....wow.
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #66
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I'm going to advertise here my I-believe useful Kindle 3D weather capability post just made over in Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=91
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #67
maxim9691
maxim9691 began at the beginning.

3G would only be useful to me if I were short on devices. I browse the net enough at home and don't care to turn my Kindle into a surfing device.
Besides without flash abilities how useful would it be over other devices you may already own, such as a smart phone?
maxim9691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #68
Green-Eyed Lady
Green-Eyed Lady began at the beginning.

I find it to be very useful, especially when we go to my Mom's summer lake-home. She does not have internet there (the only thing available there is SUPER-slow dial-up or VERY expensive satellite). With my kindle, I'm able to check my e-mail, visit any forums I feel like visiting, and I LOVE being able to download books from Amazon even when there is no other internet service.

I do try to keep it to a reasonable amount though - I'd hate to see Amazon remove this feature due to it's being used "too much" (where they start losing money on it). For me, it's basically just handy to have, for very light internet use on vacations and such. But for that, it's AWESOME!
Green-Eyed Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #69
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

No smart phone here. Was thinking of getting one next year, but not going to. Don't want to pay $29.99 a month for the data plan.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #70
Green-Eyed Lady
Green-Eyed Lady began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
No smart phone here. Was thinking of getting one next year, but not going to. Don't want to pay $29.99 a month for the data plan.
EXACTLY! We don't want to pay any monthly fee for data, when I'm already paying almost $50 month for internet - which is why the Kindle 3G is such a FABULOUS deal, cuz I can just use that for ocassional e-mails and such, and not purchase a smart-phone/data-plan! That saves me a lot of money!
Green-Eyed Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #71
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

That's why I drove straight down to Best Buy to get my Kindle 3G when they had the $30.00 rebate. Free 3G for emergency or once in a while use is awesome.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #72
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Wouldn't it be amazing if Amazon moved to own the tablet market with their new offering this Fall and decided to incorporate free 3G?
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #73
ovaldisk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Wouldn't it be amazing if Amazon moved to own the tablet market with their new offering this Fall and decided to incorporate free 3G?
Yes, it absolutely would.

Probably not going to happen.... the best we can hope for is a tablet from
Amazon that comes with 1 or 2 years of free 3G.

(my Google Chrome CR-48 laptop came with 2 years of free Verizon 3G, but
that's only because I got lucky and Google picked me to be a beta-tester)