Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #46
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldisk View Post
how do you play sodoku on the Kindle? (or any other game?)

Thanks!
There are games you can download for the Kindle on the Kindle Store.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...rd_i=133141011
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
There are games you can download for the Kindle on the Kindle Store.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...rd_i=133141011
... if you are registered as being in the US.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #48
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
It's a function of how much access you have to wifi compared to how much need you have to download books.

The more access to wifi you have, the less you need 3G. The more you need to download books, the more likely it is that you'll be glad to have 3G.

I'd say anyone who has access to wifi once a day is wasting money by buying 3G. But if you only have access to wifi once a week, you'll probably find 3G to be very nice indeed.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't use it much for downloading books; more for things like Wikipedia access.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #50
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
For me, the bottom line is: If you get the 3g, you'll find ways to use it.

I use it all the time when I'm driving out somewhere and don't have wifi handy. It was convenient when I crossed into Canada!

On the flip side, if you get Kindle WiFi, you won't miss 3g.

This is because when I don't have the internet, I just shrug and keep reading. For traveling... do you remember when you put all your songs on a tape/cd/mp3 player right before the trip? The same will happen for the kindle. You'll put all the books you want to read before a trip and so you really didn't need the internet to get new ones. As for browsing, it was said before that the 3g speed isn't crazyfast, but it's manageable.

So in conclusion I think: You won't miss what you never had. But if you get the 3g, you'll love it (psychological rationalization of your premium purchase). You'll be happy with whichever you get
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #51
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
..if i'm not near a WiFi hot spot, I can always use the one on my phone.

One thing many people forget is that since the 3G is provided by ATT we also get free WiFi access to their HotSpots.
Although the first is true for me too, I may not want to charge my phone as often as is required when using it as a hotspot. I've used the 3G several times during power outages (could have used phone, but have to drive a ways to get power to recharge), or when the local internet was down. The coolest, though, is just turning it one to grab books or surf for directions when traveling. My mother has had internet outages lasting a few days, recently - so, it was drive a few miles to a place with access or just turn on the K3G (she did both). We don't live "out in the boonies" (although I'm a bit further out of town), but in a top 100 city; like most US cities, though, it's more spread out and not all high rises, so when a huge storm takes out the power grid and related services, it takes a while for to get put back together, sometimes.

As for those hotspots - coolest thing is that the B&N is one, so the Kindle works better on their wifi than my original nook (which goes thru contortions trying to "order" a "free-in-store" selection, then reports the network is missing, while the nookcolor grabs then with two "clicks" and the K3 pops on the network without a whisper and browses the Kindle store faster than the nook can do a lookup at B&N). Much easier access than at the local (and now defunct) Borders, which is still charging nearly the same as when they were "open" for business and selling stuff like mad (at well over Amazon prices). The bargain hunters were buying like made when it was only 10%, which was the same as regular pricing (and for some thing, actually more) than it was the week before.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #52
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
I find the 3G useful for whispersync primarily. I occasionally read on my phone, so I want my Kindle and phone to sync. It's also useful for buying books/getting samples when not at home (I have essentially zero wifi access outside of my home).

I personally find the browser/Internet access useless, but it is an added extra that I am glad I have access to but would only use in an extreme emergency. To say the browsing experience on the Kindle is tedious would be a massive understatement. I would need a life or death situation to put up with it.

I would recommend that anyone thinking of buying a reader think about what new features might be added to these devices in the near future. Things like social integration will rely on always-on Internet access. I personally wouldn't miss out on extra functionality for the sake of a few dollars price difference.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #53
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Can the Kindle 3 3G used in Canada for Gmail etc? or is it limited to Wiki plus amazon shopping?
Yes. You can use it for Gmail, Facebook, whatever you like.

You may find the 3G somewhat slower than wifi, and you're probably better off using the mobile version of these sites (since it'll be faster that way), but... no problem.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #54
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
http://kinstant.com/ has a number of different mobile shortcuts on one page. It saves a lot of bookmarking.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
Yes. You can use it for Gmail, Facebook, whatever you like.

You may find the 3G somewhat slower than wifi, and you're probably better off using the mobile version of these sites (since it'll be faster that way), but... no problem.
Thank you very much
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #56
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
To date, my 3G Kindle has saved me the need to get a smart phone with a data plan. Other than occasionaly downloading books that way, the only mobile Internet I tend to need is Gmail and doing Google/Wikipedia and other mostly-text lookups, and I regularly do that while traveling or in other situations with no wifi.
The Kindle does all that sufficiently well for me
I'm sure one day, if I can ever find a reason justify the extra $15-$30 a month for a data plan, I'll get a smart phone, and will rarely need the Kindle's 3G, but until then, every time I use the 3G, I feel like I saved $15-$30 for that month.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main limitation of the Kindle's web browser is that it only supports a single window, so any site that tries to open pop-up windows won't work. That means, for example, that my ISP's webmail site won't work, because it uses pop-ups to both read and write messages.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #58
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main limitation of the Kindle's web browser is that it only supports a single window, so any site that tries to open pop-up windows won't work. That means, for example, that my ISP's webmail site won't work, because it uses pop-ups to both read and write messages.
Indeed. Though the Kindle 2 browser had fewer features, it did handle that better, and, IMO, was more useful for quite a bit of the type of stuff it was best used with.
Nonetheless, there are hacks which I hear get around the issue, and sites like skweezer, which can mitigate it in some cases.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #59
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
http://kinstant.com/ has a number of different mobile shortcuts on one page. It saves a lot of bookmarking.
Oh, that's a great link. Bookmarked! Thank you.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #60
sil
sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

For me the free 3G was the selling point for the Kindle. I don't have (or want) any mobile phones or similar devices that rely on ongoing charges. I have internet and phones at home and at work and for me I don't need to have my face glued to a gadget at every point between them. However the kindle internet access is nice to know its there for the rare occassions I use it. Ok its not as good as using other internet gadgets but the Kindle is first and foremost an ebook reader, not an all-singing-all-dancing gadget. So if having internet is a big thing then don't buy a Kindle, but its useful to know its there if you deperately need it plus that you aren't wasting money (honestly the 3G and internet capability of the Kindle is not worth paying for).
sil is offline   Reply With Quote