Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #301
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just opened a kepub I finished in the last week and started paging through it. I this case, it was showing repeating a page number, but, about every tenth page. And, for most chapters, it didn't increment for the last page. I haven't noticed if for the current book.

Part of the differences between us could be the font size and screen size. I was testing on the Libra H2O with the font about third of the way from the right. Line spacing and margins set to the minimum. And no patches.

For the percent read and time left, I do not believe this has changed. From what I can see, these are based on the word counts, not the page counts. You can see this with a book that has images, especially if the images are collected more to one end of the book than the other.
I did another test of this on a completely unpatched AuraHD using built-in Georgia with line spacing and margins set to minimum.

I used a kepub short story (cover + single chapter with no images), so Total "pages" should always be chapter "pages" plus 1, but it never is, no matter what font-size is used. Screenshot attached.

I would estimate the footer 'x of 106' failed to increment about once every 6 page turns. As you implied, this is probably very variable depending on font, size, margins, line spacing.

Anyway, I can't really get too worked up about it all because I don't use these footer numbers. Hopefully Kobo will get round to re-examining their algorithm at some point.

Incidentally, this problem was also present in fw 4.23.15505. I don't have any devices with a fw older than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kepub_tot_pages.png
Views:	174
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	181752  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #302
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which firmware was the last firmware where KePub pages worked properly for 1 screen = 1 page and the total pages was correct?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-04-2020 at 12:25 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #303
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Seriously, after all the whining about about 1/page per screen being a fake page and useless???

In any case, there's no 'last' version, the total page number has always been an estimate, and will probably be an estimate for a long time.. (Otherwise, the device would have to render, internally, as many thousands of pages as people can stuff in a 'book' ever time someone adjusts font size or margins.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #304
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which firmware was the last firmware where KePub pages worked properly for 1 screen = 1 page and the total pages was correct?
Probably none. My guess would be that this has been a problem since Kobo changed the full book page numbers from based on 320 words per page (hence not page per screen) to the current method. I did consider it might have been related to the change in scaling of images, but, I think I tested the firmware before that with the same results.

And, I have to admit to having the same thoughts that @rashkae has. Though, I also feel you are looking for reasons to reject kepubs. If you do, just remember how easy it is to screw up the page numbering in an epub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #305
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
Ahem … yes: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=332469

And if you've read this thread from the beginning, you can find the link on page 2, post #20: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=20
Thank you!!
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #306
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The page numbering discrepancy is something I noticed eons ago. Intuition suggests that it has to do with the font size and/or page formatting.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #307
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And, I have to admit to having the same thoughts that @rashkae has.

There there, the humiliation and pain are just passing things. You'll be ok.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #308
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
The page numbering discrepancy is something I noticed eons ago. Intuition suggests that it has to do with the font size and/or page formatting.
Yes, but "eons ago" the total page count was based on wordcount and therefore would never have matched the chapter screenfuls. It's a relatively recent firmware that changed this. I can't remember exactly which one but it was probably when headers/footers officially became independantly optional and configurable.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #309
pompej
pompej began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2 (v1)
Is it worth installing new firmware if i use KOreader only? Now I'm on 4.20.14601
pompej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #310
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Intuition is incorrect. Given that number of pages displayed for the full books should be the number of screens, the font size and page formatting should not matter as the page number for the full book should change to match.

Thing is, the page numbers for the chapter are correct. So the algorithm for calculating chapter page numbers is correct and in that case, just get the page numbers for all the chapters, add them and voila.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #311
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompej View Post
Is it worth installing new firmware if i use KOreader only? Now I'm on 4.20.14601
Why is it you only use KOReader?
Old 09-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #312
pompej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it you only use KOReader?
I only read books and KOreader has everything I want from an eBook reader (it's fast and has a lot of customizations). The question is whether the new firmware only has an update for the default eBook reader (it's "nickel" I think?) or maybe it has something that will improve overall firmware which affect hardware (which can improve KOreader functional also)?
Old 09-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #313
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pompej: Unlikely to matter on an EoL device.

I still usually recommend to keep track of things once in a while (because we do use bits and pieces here and there, and some of 'em may have a rather important impact), but it's less meaningful if you barely use Nickel at all, and even less so for a device that isn't part of the current generation of devices.

(i.e., if you had a Clara, I'd have said yes. That said, if your Aura SE is actually a r2, it's indeed a Mk. 7, so, yes, too ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #314
pompej

Thank you for response. I have a Mark 6 model (7th character of the serial number is a 0) so I'll stay with the current installed firmware

Last edited by pompej; 09-06-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #315
A random blob
A random blob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi people! Quick question.

I went from 4.6.9995 to 4.23.15548, and I'm not sure when the change occured, but I noticed that my Kobo Glo HD suddenly became warmer!

Perhaps +500 kelvin, I'd say. I tried taking a picture of it, but it looks similar, if not the same.

When did this change occur? Is there a way to bring it back to strong neutral white?

I really hate warm screens..

I have a 2nd Glo HD who I compared it with in the past, which is still running 4.6.9995, and there is definetely a big difference comparing them next to each other.

Here's one picture at 100% brightness,

https://i.imgur.com/bvOqeSb.jpeg

and one at 20% brightness.

https://i.imgur.com/EQxMteq.jpeg

You can go into Photoshop/gimp and use the color picker to test the colors, and you'll see the right one is more vibrant and brighter - which is noticable in real life too. Also it's less warm, and it's a real nice pure white, whilst the left one is a little bit warm now, and it's really bothering me.

EDIT:

The difference is pretty evident when the picture is scaled to a smaller size, see:

Last edited by A random blob; 09-06-2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added pictures
A random blob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release