Old 12-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Missing book covers for books downloaded thru Companion's Dropbox feature

Hey team:

Device: 2015 Kindle Fire tablet

I *love* the idea of calibre companion working with dropbox. Only problem is, as per https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=290192 ;; I had to move the companion data to main sd card (not my external sd card) to avoid calibre database corruption notices.

Because of limited storage space on the fire, I use the external sd card for my calibre library as well.

So... once I do this I can download books just fine, but the covers are no longer present in moon reader pro.

Anything I can do to resolve this? I kinda like the cover view.

Thanks!
arooni
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Hey team:

Device: 2015 Kindle Fire tablet

I *love* the idea of calibre companion working with dropbox. Only problem is, as per https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=290192 ;; I had to move the companion data to main sd card (not my external sd card) to avoid calibre database corruption notices.

Because of limited storage space on the fire, I use the external sd card for my calibre library as well.

So... once I do this I can download books just fine, but the covers are no longer present in moon reader pro.

Anything I can do to resolve this? I kinda like the cover view.

Thanks!
arooni
The SD card issue has nothing to do with this problem. Moon+ gets the covers from the book file, not CC's database. If you aren't seeing covers then they are not in the books.

When you send a book using the wireless device, calibre automatically updates the metadata and cover in the copy of book file being sent (not the original). The same thing is true when you use the content server connection. However, when you use the cloud connection, calibre doesn't have the opportunity to update the book, so you get whatever cover (or lack thereof) is stored in the book.

There are two solutions.
  1. Use CC as the library manager, either in cover grid or list view. When you download a book, CC grabs the cover from the cloud and stores it in its database. It doesn't care about the cover in the book file.
  2. Update the metadata in the book manually using calibre so moon+ can see it. Two calibre commands that do this are polish and modify epub. If you want to further discuss these commands or alternatives, post in the main calibre forum.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
arooni
Addict

would having a mobi file versus an epub make it less likely to see the cover? I know moon reader does support mobis.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
arooni
Addict

and is having a epub generally preferred as opposed to having a mobi file?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
would having a mobi file versus an epub make it less likely to see the cover?
No. Chaley explain what is required.

Quote:
and is having a epub generally preferred as opposed to having a mobi file?
Stick with epubs they are the better of the two. As long as you are going to get your books by connecting to Dropbox and not connecting directly to calibre then you need to embed the covers inside your epubs by following chaley's advice.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-01-2018 at 08:52 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
arooni
Addict

gotcha. Looks like polishing fixed the problem.

Is there a way to automatically polish books upon adding them so I don't forget to do it later?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Is there a way to automatically polish books upon adding them so I don't forget to do it later?
I 'm not sure, but you might want to follow chaley's advice from his post above and post this question in the calibre forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There are two solutions.
  1. Use CC as the library manager, either in cover grid or list view. When you download a book, CC grabs the cover from the cloud and stores it in its database. It doesn't care about the cover in the book file.
  2. Update the metadata in the book manually using calibre so moon+ can see it. Two calibre commands that do this are polish and modify epub. If you want to further discuss these commands or alternatives, post in the main calibre forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote