Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #46
ThimGrim
ThimGrim began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
@jswinden

See here. Looks like it's reversible and the screen re-orients. Someone mentioned accelerometers so possible it auto re-orients.
The button on the top (and other buttons) also re-orients?

Last edited by ThimGrim; 04-11-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #47
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThimGrim View Post
The button on the top (and other buttons) also re-orients?
Look at the picture.

The screen is just mirrored. You don't actually flip it around.

edit: and may I add that I think this is a very good design. Sure, it looks a bit odd, but it's very functional. based on that size/weight ratio and the thickness, using it with one hand is probably very comfortable. that said, it's probably pretty awful in landscape.

Last edited by pickyaxe; 04-11-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If that is a new Kindle it is multiple steps backwards in physical design. And so much for being ambidextrous. It is a slap in the face to any left handed person, just like camera designs are. Those photos certainly don't look cutting edge to me. That must be a lower priced unit rather than a top of the line model. And don't get me started on the stupid thick on right side and thin on the left side crappy design.
It's auto-reversible:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...trical-design/
Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #49
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Look at the picture.

edit: and may I add that I think this is a very good design. Sure, it looks a bit odd, but it's very functional. based on that size/weight ratio and the thickness, using it with one hand is probably very comfortable. that said, it's probably pretty awful in landscape.
If you don't actually flip it around...how do the physical page turns buttons get to the other side? I think the pic is photoshopped for neatness....perhaps the real reveal will describe what happens to the top button.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #50
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I think the new Kindle Oasis design looks hideous and from a purely aesthetic point of view it is a step backwards from the Voyage. I loved the Voyage design and was hoping for an incrementally improved design with a faster processor (slightly lighter, better screen, LEDs) and better cases.

I was so excited when I heard the news about a new Kindle last week, but these pictures and info have tempered that.
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #51
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
It look disgusting.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #52
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
My initial reaction, unfortunately, is disappointment. But I'm holding judgement until we get more details.

Stuff I Like:
- If this is more comfortable to hold 1 handed, that could be a big deal.

Stuff I think I dislike but maybe need more info:
- it looks goofy unless the case is attached. If the case is attached, then you lose the benefit of the lighter weight... it looks like the case is required (saw some comments somewhere about maybe having to charge the case, and the case is what charges the kindle... so this may eliminate 3rd party cases)... and I'm sure it is not a light case since it has a battery in it.
- Physical buttons -- I'll be OK with these as long as they don't make a clicking sound... and there'll likely be no way to know until it's released. Remember how obnoxious the K2's buttons sound?
- I sometimes move my kindle back and forth between my right and left hand. I can't picture myself flipping the device around every time I want to do that. But maybe if it's more comfortable to hold, I won't feel the need to do that.

Haven't seen anywhere mention the size of the screen either. I assume it's same as voyage/paperwhite. Also haven't seen any mention if the screen is flush with the bezel, or if it's glass like the Voyage.

Hoping that maybe another model is announced as well. I may bite if the price is reasonable because it seems like it may be more comfortable to hold. But overall, seems like a lot of the key stuff people were hoping for (different size screen, color) is missing, while a lot of the stuff people were pretty happy with has been changed...
Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #53
ThimGrim
ThimGrim began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Look at the picture.

The design is weird but OK, agree on that. But if you don't flip it, then there will be versions for left-handed and right-handed? Or am I stupid and I don't understand something? :P
Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #54
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'm waiting for more info on this too. Even then I would need to see one in a store and try it out first. After the initial shock of seeing it for the first time. I think it might be a pleasant device to use. Just not what I expected.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #55
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
This seems gimmicky. Are there people that actually need months of battery life? Now, if that extra battery was needed for a new feature like a larger screen, that would be something. Should I expect additional wedge-covers that offer solar panels or a fuel-cell option for years of battery life? How about a wedge that allows you to slap in 16 AAA batteries, which is useful if you're hiking cross country.

I would like the screen to go all the way to the edge. The content within the screen doesn't necessarily need to go to the edge, but amazon is going to force you to have margins anyway and so they might as well push the margins to the edge of the device than shrink your content down. And they can then draw haptic controls into the margin of the screen and you have the option to position them higher or lower to fit your holding style (the wonders of e-ink!).
Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #56
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Haven't posted here in quite awhile, but having used a somewhat asymmetric design with an old irex I always thought it worked really well. Just flip it to the other hand and if the software handles the orientation automatically it is seamless. It definitely looks different and disappointed that the screen size didn't increase, but maybe that will still be a nice surprise. Anxious to see how well it feels in the hand.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #57
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Interesting look. However, I am not sure that I have to have it yet. Voyage suits me fine.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Presumably auto rotate can be turned off. Hopefully landscape is still supported as well. The buttons are not well-placed for that, obviously, but touch/swipe should still work.

Any inkling that audio is back (or the earlier rumor about Bluetooth)? The images don't seem to show any ports or power button. Must be on the 'top' this time around?
Old 04-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #59
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post
I think the new Kindle Oasis design looks hideous and from a purely aesthetic point of view it is a step backwards from the Voyage. I loved the Voyage design and was hoping for an incrementally improved design with a faster processor (slightly lighter, better screen, LEDs) and better cases.

I was so excited when I heard the news about a new Kindle last week, but these pictures and info have tempered that.
Being retired I have a lot of time and I spend more than a little of that watching video reviews of various devices. One of my pet peeves is the focus of a few of the reviewers on form as opposed to functionality. Not that I think looks are unimportant but how well it works is the main thing for an ereader/phone/tablet.

I guess I'm a techie at heart. If two women are walking down the street, one in jeans and the other in a very high fashion expensive gown I'll probably be looking at the one in jeans. Very focused on function am I!

Barry
Old 04-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #60
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Being retired I have a lot of time and I spend more than a little of that watching video reviews of various devices. One of my pet peeves is the focus of a few of the reviewers on form as opposed to functionality. Not that I think looks are unimportant but how well it works is the main thing for an ereader/phone/tablet.

I guess I'm a techie at heart. If two women are walking down the street, one in jeans and the other in a very high fashion expensive gown I'll probably be looking at the one in jeans. Very focused on function am I!

Barry
Yeah, but the thing is, the functionality is mostly software, and as the PW1 showed, that gets continuously updated these days, and will improve across the supported lifespan of the device. The new devices are for hardware changes you can't get otherwise (and I suspect the drive for thinness is why the RAM may not have been updated: more RAM means more of a power draw, and that's at a premium with all the electronics and battery jammed down one side like that, if indeed the battery is in that bit).

For a change, the drive towards increased thinness is not pure frippery, either -- it probably shows that the weight distribution has changed, such that the thick bit is where most of the weight is located. That means that the weight is predominantly located in your hand, rather than out across the width of the device, which means that there is less weight trying to pull the thing laterally, towards its unsupported edge. And that's definitely a good thing.
Closed Thread