Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-29-2023, 05:25 PM   #1
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Physical buttons on Kindle Voyage don't work?

Hi everyone. Can I check or confirm the physical page turn buttons on the Kindle Voyage don't trigger page turns in KOReader?

Or maybe I missed a setting somewhere?

I'm new to KOReader on Kindle Voyage. I'd given up on jailbreaking my KV until last night when I discovered there's a jailbreak
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:00 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There should be workarounds in place for that in current KUAL versions, but I can't vouch for their efficacy as I don't have access to a Voyage.

That they *can* be disabled in userland apps *is* a known "feature" though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2023, 10:09 PM   #3
vurt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There should be workarounds in place for that in current KUAL versions, but I can't vouch for their efficacy as I don't have access to a Voyage.

That they *can* be disabled in userland apps *is* a known "feature" though.
I searched mobileread first but your response got me googling and I found a few Github issues that described the problem.

One of them seems to have a fix and it was closed, but I'm not sure what that means (not a dev unfortunately, just know how to dig around).

I think you commented in it too.

Does the issue/fix being closed mean it's been fixed in newer KOReader? Trying to understand if this is still a bug with KV or it's been fixed but not working for me.

Thank you!!
Old 01-29-2023, 10:17 PM   #4
vurt
Enthusiast

I've been starting KOReader with (no framework) which kills KUAL and the Kindle front end I think? That kills the physical buttons.

When I start KOReader normally (first option in KUAL menu "Start KOReader), the buttons work.

Does starting KOReader with no framework help make KOReader run faster?
Old 01-30-2023, 02:26 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, forgot this was a thing.

Yeah, no framework will most likely kill the buttons until someone with the device figures out how exactly they're neutered.

The main purpose of the no framework mode is to lower memory pressure, which is otherwise fairly high on Kindle because said framework (i.e., the stock UI & backend) eats a humongous amount of RAM (hai, java). Should be mostly irrelevant unless you're reading PDFs, though.
Advert
Old 01-30-2023, 09:24 AM   #6
vurt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

The main purpose of the no framework mode is to lower memory pressure, which is otherwise fairly high on Kindle because said framework (i.e., the stock UI & backend) eats a humongous amount of RAM (hai, java). Should be mostly irrelevant unless you're reading PDFs, though.
Good to know, thank you very much!
Old 03-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
kpopconnoisseur
kpopconnoisseur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
hello. i used to have the exact same problem as you, vurt, and on reading this thread decided to investigate and then make a mobileread account to share my findings:

i was able to reactivate the pageturn buttons on the voyage by setting the fsrkeypadEnable and fsrkeypadPrevEnable properties on com.lab126.deviced (back) to 1 after launching koreader with the no framework option.

Code:
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.deviced fsrkeypadPrevEnable 1
Code:
# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.deviced fsrkeypadEnable 1
kpopconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:33 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kpopconnoisseur: That's cool, feel free to send a quick PR to expand https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/9419 so that it does so automatically on the Voyage .