Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yeah, I think I'm extra bummed because I'm so nervous on the hurricane today, then remembered it's the 28th and went to check, saw a new announcement and got so excited to take my mind off it, now this :/
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #17
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. As I'll never buy a buttonless Paperwhite, that would mean no Kindles for me at all anymore. At least Kobo has two devices with buttons, and I'm happy about that. Else my ereading future would look pretty dismal.
Yes, I'm addicted to the buttons.
Also, I'm so used to the waterproof feature, and being able to read one handed for hours at a time, so this is not a replacement for that for sure.
Advert
Old 09-28-2022, 03:28 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I guess it's their version of the Remarkable and other note taking devices.
You mean real note taking and ereaders like Kobo Elipsa and Boox Note Pro? The reMarkable is a joke. It's a PDF reader and sketch pad with only USB network access or WiFi Cloud.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #19
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I don't know what to think yet.

Do you think this is supposed to be the Oasis replacement basically?

I don't care on the pen feature really, and it's quite a price jump for that. I am curious of the button layout for the other options.
it is only a replacement in the sense of them having something new in the more premium price range, the functionality and size are going to appeal to a different audience from the oasis.

Given that the Oasis is the only regular kindle model without usbc now, I am sort of wondering if they might be planning to launch colour on that model refresh, with the pw signature edition offering a few extra features over a regular pw, they might feel the need to make the oasis more of a distinct change perhaps.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I don't think they are close enough to decent color yet. Not sure what changes they would do with it now. I don't think the change will be an Oasis that is 8' with note taking ability, or if it is, they wouldn't release that the same time as this to not reduce sales from the Scribe.
Advert
Old 09-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #21
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
... would be a bummer if the Oasis is now completely gone release-wise :/
That is my take [that the Oasis is now gone]. This would have been the time to re-release it.

Looks like the lineup comparison is like this:
  • Paperwhite: $139
  • Signature Edition: +$50 for adjustable backlight and wireless charging
  • Oasis:+$60 for page turn buttons, ergonomic grip (battery bulge), about 4% larger screen, metal case but it loses USB-c and wireless charging
  • Oasis no ads +$20
  • Oasis no ads plus cellular +$80

The Oasis originally had two great advantages: larger screen and page turn buttons. Now the screen difference is negligible. Plus it falls short without USBC. The Oasis is starting to get long in the tooth.

I really like cellular connectivity. Kindle unlimited only lets me download 20 books and my TBR list is larger than that. Instead I download samples and download the books as they reach the top of the list. Cellular lets me pull in the full copies as I need them.

My older gen Oasis is really having problems buying books. I usually have to restart it to get a new book, so I was hoping to upgrade. I guess I'll go paperwhite and use my phone as a hotspot -- its no worse than continually restarting. However, I will miss the page turn buttons.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #22
C.S.
Enthusiast
C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Maybe it's just me, but I have never at any point had any desire to write on a Kindle. Never even thought about it until now.

Okay, just thought about it... Nope! Not seeing the point. Maybe for students? I don't know.

The basic pen vs. premium pen option is clunky. Amazon should've just gone with the premium pen and called it a day.

I do like the bigger screen release estate though, but not enough to drop almost $400 on it. (Granted, that's about what I paid for the Kindle Klassic with the OPRAH code. Remember that?)
C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. View Post

The basic pen vs. premium pen option is clunky. Amazon should've just gone with the premium pen and called it a day.

They should've made both pens optional.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. View Post

Okay, just thought about it... Nope! Not seeing the point. Maybe for students? I don't know.
Many textbooks are in Print Replica format. Kindles do not support that. There's no indication that this one will. You'll need another device. And it would be a heck of a lot better if you could connect a keyboard.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #25
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Big screen with 300 DPI, I'd be interested but I don't know where to put them anymore...

And then there are all the usual Amazon things: little interaction with calibre, the format with the best typography is KFX and I no longer want to confuse myself to convert to KFX (I haven't accessed my Windows partition for months and I'm fine).
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:54 PM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Many textbooks are in Print Replica format. Kindles do not support that. There's no indication that this one will. You'll need another device. And it would be a heck of a lot better if you could connect a keyboard.
Current Kindles do not support print replica. And there is also no indication that the Scribe won't support Print Replica. Amazon would be foolish to not allow it.

I have seen in the Amazon software that there is a new KFX variant being implemented called PDF backed fixed layout. I have not seen any examples of it yet and do not know what it is for. Perhaps it has something to do with the upcoming Kindle Scribe.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:55 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Current Kindles do not support print replica. And there is also no indication that the Scribe won't support Print Replica. Amazon would be foolish to not allow it.

I have seen in the Amazon software that there is a new KFX variant being implemented called PDF backed fixed layout. I have not seen any examples of it yet and do not know what it is for. Perhaps it has something to do with the upcoming Kindle Scribe.
Perhaps, but they do not use words like 'study' or 'school' or 'textbook'. It's not the market segment they are shooting for. And I don't think they'd succeed if it were.

In the Make notes in your documents section, they have this sentence

Quote:
Send them to your Kindle Scribe through your desktop web browser or via the Kindle app using the “Share” button on your iOS or Android device.
Well, this is not new: you can do it now with existing Kindles and Kindle apps. But sending is not the problem, it is round tripping: how do you export the scribbled notes you create? do they get converted to little image files or something?

This is again why I'd be much more interested in being able to connect a keyboard and just type. I can type much faster and legibly than long hand. And you can export, copy, paste as expected.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-29-2022 at 08:05 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:53 AM   #28
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I'm actually a little psyched for this. I just got a Sage and am not in need of another 8 inch device and want to stay with Kobo software for my primary ereader.

This will demonstrate where Amazon really beats Kobo when it gets compared head-to-head with the Elipsa. I guarantee the writing function will be excellent, as opposed to literally worst-in-class.

It's going to have a perfect warm light on a 10" device!
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #29
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Ack, I want one. Save me from my impulses.

Eons ago, during the eBookwise era (*), I found out that I could send my own novels to my eBookwise and use the little pen thingy to make notes. This reminds me of a vastly improved version of that.

Does anyone know if this will have handwriting recognition? OTOH I can barely recognize my handwriting at times, so I'm not sure how the software will react.

(*) Otherwise known as the clay tablets and cuniform era of eBooks.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I guarantee the writing function will be excellent, as opposed to literally worst-in-class.

It's going to have a perfect warm light on a 10" device!
I'm glad you're so confident in your psychic powers. Have you thought of replacing Miss Cleo?

Amazon has done a really fine job on their last two Kindles. But I'd suggest waiting until someone has a demonstration one before assuring everyone what a slice of heaven on Earth it will be.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote