Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 07:37 AM   #1
Crow6
Crow6 began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo Yoga
Calibre will not open

Hi all - I have recently updated my Calibre 6.7.1. and 6.8, but Calibre will not now open. I have over 10k books on the system and do not wish to lose them. I am using Windows 10. Can you advise please? Chris
Crow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:51 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Grand Sorcerer
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you haven't already tried, reboot, or at least check the task manager for open calibre.exe processes. Calibre won't open if it's stuck running in the background.

If that still doesn't work, run the installer again. It'll offer you a repair install. Hopefully that'll fix it.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #3
Crow6

Thank you. If I install again will i lose my books? Chris
Old 11-20-2022, 07:09 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow6 View Post
Thank you. If I install again will i lose my books? Chris
No. But don't use any third-party uninstallers. Those may delete you library along with the program.

By the way, you should make a back-up copy of your library - for example, to an external drive. So you won't lose your books if anything ever happens to your computer.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
Crow6

I took the plunge and downloaded Calibre again and all is well. It opens OK and books not lost. Thank you all for your help. Chris
Old 12-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #6
luciaisacat
Enthusiast
luciaisacat began at the beginning.

Device: android
Happy for Crow6 happy-end, however I have a very similar, but unresolved problem (on Win10): starting with v. 6.8 after installation and launching the program appear running in background (i.e. in Windows Task Manager), but the Calibre window does not show up (no way to access the program). Reverting to v. 6.7 however solved the problem. I tried yesterday with v. 6.9 and the problem remains and I am stuck with a perfectly working v. 6.7. Anyone has any idea of what could be causing this issue? Thanks!
luciaisacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried either cascading windows to see if this brings the calibre window into view or hitting alt-space, then click on M(ove) and then using the left/right arrow keys to bring the calibre windows into view?

One other option is to hit Windows-Tab and see if the calibre window show up in the list.

If not, it suggests that you are having a video driver issue. A quick search on this forum will come up with quite a few threads on video issues and possible fixes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
luciaisacat
Enthusiast
luciaisacat began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
[...] or hitting alt-space, then click on M(ove) and then using the left/right arrow keys to bring the calibre windows into view?
Eventually the second suggestion worked fine, it's the first time I notice this strange behavior... many thanks!

luciaisacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #9
ajs4books
ajs4books began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T3S
Problem with updating -- Calibre will not run any version now

I updated to Calibre 6.10.0 and after installing the program failed to open. I went back to 6.9, and after re-installation it opened...once. Now, when I try to run that, either from the pinned shortcut or the program location, it doesn't load. The repair function ran but didn't help. I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall every time I want to use the program. What do I do next?
ajs4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
ajs4books
ajs4books began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T3S
Question 6.10 for WIN problems

Update: After uninstalling/reinstalling 6.9 for Windows several times, it appears to be working again. I'm still not sure about trying to install 6.10. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs4books View Post
I updated to Calibre 6.10.0 and after installing the program failed to open. I went back to 6.9, and after re-installation it opened...once. Now, when I try to run that, either from the pinned shortcut or the program location, it doesn't load. The repair function ran but didn't help. I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall every time I want to use the program. What do I do next?
ajs4books is offline   Reply With Quote