Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Question marks all over in converted PDF files

I’ve been converting files to PDF and they look/read fine after conversion. The issue is once I send these to “any” iOS app to read and then copy text from them, that text is full of question marks when pasting into any notes app.

Seems there is some encoding problem. What conversion settings should I be looking at in Calibre?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
apples pdf apps are fairly substandard. The dont support unicode cmaps for example, which is how text is extracted from PDFs. Try using non Apple pdf apps you might have better luck although knowing apple they probably force all iOS apps to use their PDF libraries like they do with browsers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Hi Kovidgoyal,
I remember having this problem with many iOS apps (non-Apple), but I just tested it again and it seems Marginnote is causing it, not Calibre. Thanks for the top-notch app and happy new year.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote