Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #3916
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
New Test Version Posted

2020-01-17
- Use storyUrl from metadata for checking library, for those sites that make canonical storyUrl difficult, like adapter_literotica. Closes #461. Plugin only.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #3917
unicornzvi
unicornzvi began at the beginning.

Device: Linux laptop
An issue I noted with some threads on Spacebattles.com is that when selecting "download from URLs" it will appear to download the metadata and start downloading the story normally, but then stall at 1% and not do anything. An example of a thread with this problem is https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...amurai.653374/

Does anyone know why this happens? Or ideally how to get the thread to ePub despite the issue?
unicornzvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #3918
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

unicornzvi - The percent meter only advances by whole downloads--not how far along an individual download is. So when downloading one book, it's going to stay at 1% until it jumps to done.

How long are you waiting for it?

That thread has some 600+ threadmarks spread across several categories, it's going to take time to download. It took ~10 minutes for me.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #3919
unicornzvi
unicornzvi began at the beginning.

Device: Linux laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
How long are you waiting for it?
20+ minutes. I'll give it another try, maybe I didn't give it enough time.
unicornzvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #3920
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornzvi View Post
20+ minutes. I'll give it another try, maybe I didn't give it enough time.
60 minutes wouldn't surprise me.

There are lots of factors--slow_down_sleep_time setting, site traffic, time of day, network latency, possible throttling on the site, if you turner off use_reader_mode, it will be ~10x longer, if you are using always_login and have change posts per reader page, etc etc.

Also, run Calibre in debug mode (Preferences drop down) to get more output.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #3921
Mymy
Mymy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hi Jimm!

I've been meaning to ask - there seems to be an ongoing problem getting stories from wattpad.com. Whenever I enter a URL (e.g: https://www.wattpad/XXXXXX) I get an error message which says "No valid story URLs entered", even though the link is in the correct format.

I have the latest Calibre and FanFicFare versions.

Thank you kindly!
Mymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #3922
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymy View Post
I've been meaning to ask - there seems to be an ongoing problem getting stories from wattpad.com. Whenever I enter a URL (e.g: https://www.wattpad/XXXXXX) I get an error message which says "No valid story URLs entered", even though the link is in the correct format.
I'm not seeing that happen with a story from my 'test all sites' library and a randomly selected story:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/91590087
https://www.wattpad.com/story/193424...ce-paul-lahote

Please include at least one story URL that exhibits the problem whenever reporting any issue.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #3923
greenskye
greenskye began at the beginning.

Device: none
What would be the chances of getting patreon as a supported site? Just taking the contents of each post as a chapter. I'm supporting several authors who post all chapters early on patreon. I want to keep supporting them, but the reading experience isn't great.
greenskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #3924
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Re: Patreon

Unlikely. I am very hesitant to do anything with pay sites.

Generally, I figure that anyone writing fanfiction doesn't have a lot of moral ground to complain about somebody scraping a copy of their writing to save.

Original works, especially ones you are paying for, are another matter.

I don't even want to talk about the can of worms that is people taking payment for writing fanfic. Is there enough disconnect between Patreon donations and making money off other people's IP? I don't know, but I fear that will end in tears lawsuits some day.

Plus, my experience is that fanfic writers supported by Patreon donations still post to open sites.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #3925
jemimahj
jemimahj began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 7th gen
I'm having an issue with the "no valid story urls" as well, only on ao3. It's happening with any links that are www.ao3.org but www.archiveofourown.org links work without any issues. An example of a fit that doesn't work for me is https://www.ao3.org/works/22396777 Both Calibre and the plugin are updated to latest version. Thanks!
jemimahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:32 PM   #3926
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2020-01-24
- Add more domains for AO3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemimahj View Post
I'm having an issue with the "no valid story urls" as well, only on ao3. It's happening with any links that are www.ao3.org but www.archiveofourown.org links work without any issues. ...
Probably because I've never seen ao3.org before and therefore FFF doesn't support it. When did that become a thing?

NSLookup shows ao3.org is indeed owned by archiveofourown.org.

And from their SSL cert (and past experience), it looks like we should accept:
  • archiveofourown.org
  • archiveofourown.com
  • archiveofourown.net
  • download.archiveofourown.org
  • ao3.org

Plus www. versions. archiveofourown.net is also new.

Interestingly, ao3.org immediately redirects to archiveofourown.org. But it seems to be the only one--not even www.ao3.org does it. Which means your cookies and login, etc don't carry over between domain names.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #3927
jemimahj
jemimahj began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 7th gen
Quote:
Probably because I've never seen ao3.org before and therefore FFF doesn't support it. When did that become a thing?
Not sure when it started, this is the first time I've seen it, seems like it's hit or miss? I tried doing a find/replace with ao3/archiveofourown before I posted and it didn't work, but I had the www. in there. I just tried without the www and was able to download from Calibre with no issues. Thanks!
jemimahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #3928
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Hi,

This looks incredibly useful. There are a couple things I'm trying to figure out:

1. Can I keep fanficfare from adding the sites' tags (and burying my existing tag system)?

According to the FAQ, "What metadata (category, genre, status, characters, ships, etc) gets included in the Calibre tags is controlled by the personal.ini option include_subject_tags. (The name is historical because EPUB 'tags' are placed in <dc:subject> tags.)"

... but there is no such line to delete to keep it from adding these tags. I can limit it to new books, but that's all.

2. Can I use FanFicFare on other sites, which are not listed as compatible? I've had trouble using other download tools for some sites for research.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #3929
sunshineangel
sunshineangel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunshineangel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunshineangel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunshineangel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Thank you for the great plugin.
My English is not good so I use google translate, I hope it does not make you uncomfortable.
I get an error like this:
When I right click on FFF -> Download from Urls it will show a popup for me to enter the url.
But now when I click on it, nothing appears.
Can you help me!

sunshineangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #3930
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Multi-reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
1. Can I keep fanficfare from adding the sites' tags (and burying my existing tag system)?
There's more than one way to do it. The most basic is to set to include_subject_tags empty:
Code:
[defaults]
include_subject_tags:
There are also mechanisms for modifying metadata entries (replace_metadata) and filtering metadata entries (the include/exclude_metadata_pre/post settings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
2. Can I use FanFicFare on other sites, which are not listed as compatible? I've had trouble using other download tools for some sites for research.
No.

Well, mostly no. You can use the 'Get Story URLs from Web Page' feature on any web page, but only supported story URLs will be recognized and can be downloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineangel View Post
Thank you for the great plugin.
My English is not good so I use google translate, I hope it does not make you uncomfortable.
I get an error like this:
When I right click on FFF -> Download from Urls it will show a popup for me to enter the url.
But now when I click on it, nothing appears.
Can you help me!
For most people, the primary mouse button is the left one. Right clicking on Download from Urls doesn't work, but left clicking does. Unless you have set your primary mouse button to right.

Tags
fanfiction